MBB @ ND

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Rough year. With CDS’s apparent ability to recruit, GT could get really good in the future. However, we might not. CDS is a very high risk/reward coach. Time will tell.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Why do we seem incapable of driving to the basket and drawing fouls compared to our competition night in and night out?

We went to the free throw line 11 times. Notre Dame made 17 free throws.
Our guards don’t dribble drive with intent to score and certainly not with intent to attempt to finish contested shots in the paint or at the rim. Instead they dribble drive with the intent to find the open man and make the pass. It’s an admirable mindset and strategy, but the defenses have scouted us and they know our tendencies. Every man on the floor has to be a threat to score first and foremost. Otherwise the defense has an advantage. There is no reason to foul our guards, because they aren’t much of a threat to score when they drive. Instead, defenses sag off of our guards and help defenders mostly play the passing lanes. Some of the results are few fouls and high turnovers on stolen passes.

Another issue is that none of our players, neither guards nor post players, seem to have a basic pump fake in their repertoire.

gorcone

Georgia Tech Fan
I would gladly trade a win against Duke for a loss if that became three wins against BC, VT, and Pitt. And the same for a win against NC for or a loss if that became three wins against SY, WF, and NCst. We would look a look better.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
The three freshman are going to be the foundation of CDS’ program. We’d already seen it from two of the three. Sacko’s development these last six games will be the most interesting thing to watch here imo. He’s gotta play 25+ minutes per game the rest of the way (he got 26 today).

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I still think Gapare’s minutes are killing us, but he did see his minutes essentially eliminated after his first half performance today. However, I don't blame CDS for believing Gapare’s development > wins in 2024.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I still think Gapare’s minutes are killing us, but he did see his minutes essentially eliminated after his first half performance today. However, I don't blame CDS for believing Gapare’s development > wins in 2024.
Gapare is very frustrating to watch. He has physical talent but he is a turnover machine. There was a sequence where he made a great defensive play to block a step back jump shot by Burton. He started a 2 on 1 fast break off of the blocked shot, but instead of passing the ball to reeves (I think) early in the break when he was open and streaking toward the goal, Gapare kept the ball and ended up fumbling it out of bounds all on his own without the defender’s help.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Gapare is very frustrating to watch. He has physical talent but he is a turnover machine. There was a sequence where he made a great defensive play to block a step back jump shot by Burton. He started a 2 on 1 fast break off of the blocked shot, but instead of passing the ball to reeves (I think) early in the break when he was open and streaking toward the goal, Gapare kept the ball and ended up fumbling it out of bounds all on his own without the defender’s help.
You have to feel sorry for the kid. He needs minor minutes but he's playing a lot to spped his development and sometimes it's difficult to watch.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
With the Portal, I think it’s a dangerous game to focus on developing players at the sake of having a terrible season. Kids could be developing, but if they are miserable, it’s very easy to jump ship.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
CDS will have to land some major stars in the portal in the offseason. It's looking like only 5-6 guys playing significant minutes will return from this team.

Most likely: Sacko, George, Ndongo, Reeves
Probably: Gapare
Maybe: Terry
Doubtful: Kelly, Coleman, Abram

Incoming: Sutton, Mustaf, Kirouac

Incoming talent should replace the doubtful guys, and if Terry comes back the backcourt should be solid, but I'm not sure we can expect a ton of improvement without a couple of legit big men in the portal.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
CDS will have to land some major stars in the portal in the offseason. It's looking like only 5-6 guys playing significant minutes will return from this team.

Most likely: Sacko, George, Ndongo, Reeves
Probably: Gapare
Maybe: Terry
Doubtful: Kelly, Coleman, Abram

Incoming: Sutton, Mustaf, Kirouac

Incoming talent should replace the doubtful guys, and if Terry comes back the backcourt should be solid, but I'm not sure we can expect a ton of improvement without a couple of legit big men in the portal.
Clearly we need inside help in a big way. I would expect Gapae to be back and to be a significantly better player with a full offseason of work. Terry said he plans on being back. He clearly would have a major role on the team.

We also need another Point Guard who can penetrate, shoot, pass and attack the rim thus get to the FT line. Right now we do not have a go to player when we need a basket,

We find ways to lose at the end of games more than we find ways to win games. We play a remarkable amount of very close games that are decided in the last 2 minutes of the game! The team rarely gets blown out.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I'm a GT guy through and through, during the last leg of the Geoff Collins era in football, I watched, but I didn't look forward to it, I didn't enjoy it and I was in a foul mood afterwards ... and now in MBB ??? I'm definitely on the fence with CDS, but its too early, I liked the hire and I will go the course, but Geez !!!!

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, at least the kids played hard. Some good moments. We out-shot them by a considerable margin (46% to 32%) and from three (33% to 19%)

But same old. Minus 11 in offensive rebounds. Minus 11 in second chance points. Minus 11 at the free throw line.

Stoudamire decided to go small at the finish for offense but we got throttled on the offensive glass and couldn't get stops. Unlike many here, I thought the team played better on the defensive end when Gapare was in the game. Ndongo has not been the same since the hit his head.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Nice to see Sacko have a solid game. He made some very good cuts to the basket and George and Ndongo fed him well on his cuts. He can finish at the rim. He has potential. Still raw as a player but he appears to have taken to CDS message and plays hard.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
Clearly we need inside help in a big way. I would expect Gapae to be back and to be a significantly better player with a full offseason of work. Terry said he plans on being back. He clearly would have a major role on the team.

We also need another Point Guard who can penetrate, shoot, pass and attack the rim thus get to the FT line. Right now we do not have a go to player when we need a basket,

We find ways to lose at the end of games more than we find ways to win games. We play a remarkable amount of very close games that are decided in the last 2 minutes of the game! The team rarely gets blown out.
So the last 2 mins of game has nothing to do with strategy, schemes, clock management, experience of players, having a set coming out of a timeout, or does those last 2 mins just require those guys to play hard & be athletic without a winning game plan