MBB Attendance

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
Warning: researching and writing this thread depressed me, so feel free to skip. I got curious about attendance when I was looking into the GTAA debt and finances, and have fallen into a rabbit hole. Hopefully I'll get this out of my system by posting this thread. GT MBB attendance is eroding away, which I think is partly nationwide trends and partly GT specific. I fully understand the multiple reasons that GT fans could have for no longer attending games. From my perspective, the problem is that there is a network effect. In the age of HDTV (and Atlanta traffic, etc.) the advantage of making the effort to attend live sports is to experience the game with a crowd of people. The fewer people attending, the less attractive it is to attend.

Part of what prompted my further research was just looking around the arena at the Clayton State game. Admittedly Game 1, and some confusion about whether it was an exhibition or a counting game, but still it was very sparse. And looking at the box score afterwards, the attendance was just over 3k, which seemed small. Here are pictures from the first four games this year, taken at the first timeout.

Composite.jpg

Since McCamish opened, there have been 178 "counting" MBB games played there. 13 of those games were in 2020-2021 when attendance was capped at (and reported as)1,200 per game. Of the remaining165 games, here are the 10 lowest reported attendance figures.

Bottom10.jpg

2017 Tusculum was a last-minute game against a DII school added when GT was supposed to have a bye, because Pastner wanted to keep the team in the rhythm of 2 games per week. 2016 Houston was an NIT game in Gregory's last year. 2014 Boston College was a game delayed two days because of a winter storm.

Stepping back, here is the reported average home game attendance per season since the beginning of the Cremins era.

Attendance.jpg

2012 was the year McCamish was under construction, so GT home games were played in Gwinnett and at Philips Arena. My capacity numbers for AMC may not be exactly right, but I think they are close to the reported capacities. The attendance numbers come from NCAA reports. The years where average attendance exceeded capacity is a result of playing some home games at The Omni. For example, in 1985-1986, GT played home games against UNC, NC State, and Illinois there, drawing more than 15,000 to each game. The attendance reported to the NCAA also treats two games in The Omni for the Cotton States Classic as home games, although the game log lists them an Neutral Site.

Here is an AJC article from January 2011 discussing the attendance drop that year, and addressing fan dissatisfaction with Coach Hewitt and the team's performance as contributing factors. Although there was an initial bump for the first year in McCamish, the trend has been declining since then. As I said at the start, there are many reasons in addition to the team's performance, and I'm not one who believes that winning will bring back the sellouts that used to be common.

Tech has done a good job in recent years at getting a large student turnout for some games. I hope they can find a way to make that more common, because I feel like the students improve the atmosphere greatly even if the other seats aren't full. I also noted that both Batt and his deputy have served as principal administrators for Men's Basketball at prior stops, so hopefully they can bring in some additional ideas.

Anyway, I'm going to close my tabs and spreadsheets and quit thinking about this. Hope we'll have a good crowd for the UGa game tonight.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
Good stuff, frankly, the season ticket exchange benefit is not doing the early game attendance any favors either. I'm not sure who else has taken advantage of it but it allows season ticket holders to exchange any tickets for games they don't want to attend for additional tickets to any other game on the calendar (assuming there is remaining inventory). The crazy thing is there is no limit to how many times you can do this or any blackout games from the exchange. For example, you could turn Clayton State tickets into more Duke tickets and so on. Considering how weak the non conference slate is this year, it wasn't hard to turn in all those tickets and get double the amount of tickets for conference play in return.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
Warning: researching and writing this thread depressed me, so feel free to skip. I got curious about attendance when I was looking into the GTAA debt and finances, and have fallen into a rabbit hole. Hopefully I'll get this out of my system by posting this thread. GT MBB attendance is eroding away, which I think is partly nationwide trends and partly GT specific. I fully understand the multiple reasons that GT fans could have for no longer attending games. From my perspective, the problem is that there is a network effect. In the age of HDTV (and Atlanta traffic, etc.) the advantage of making the effort to attend live sports is to experience the game with a crowd of people. The fewer people attending, the less attractive it is to attend.

Part of what prompted my further research was just looking around the arena at the Clayton State game. Admittedly Game 1, and some confusion about whether it was an exhibition or a counting game, but still it was very sparse. And looking at the box score afterwards, the attendance was just over 3k, which seemed small. Here are pictures from the first four games this year, taken at the first timeout.

View attachment 13714

Since McCamish opened, there have been 178 "counting" MBB games played there. 13 of those games were in 2020-2021 when attendance was capped at (and reported as)1,200 per game. Of the remaining165 games, here are the 10 lowest reported attendance figures.

2017 Tusculum was a last-minute game against a DII school added when GT was supposed to have a bye, because Pastner wanted to keep the team in the rhythm of 2 games per week. 2016 Houston was an NIT game in Gregory's last year. 2014 Boston College was a game delayed two days because of a winter storm.

Stepping back, here is the reported average home game attendance per season since the beginning of the Cremins era.

2012 was the year McCamish was under construction, so GT home games were played in Gwinnett and at Philips Arena. My capacity numbers for AMC may not be exactly right, but I think they are close to the reported capacities. The attendance numbers come from NCAA reports. The years where average attendance exceeded capacity is a result of playing some home games at The Omni. For example, in 1985-1986, GT played home games against UNC, NC State, and Illinois there, drawing more than 15,000 to each game. The attendance reported to the NCAA also treats two games in The Omni for the Cotton States Classic as home games, although the game log lists them an Neutral Site.

Here is an AJC article from January 2011 discussing the attendance drop that year, and addressing fan dissatisfaction with Coach Hewitt and the team's performance as contributing factors. Although there was an initial bump for the first year in McCamish, the trend has been declining since then. As I said at the start, there are many reasons in addition to the team's performance, and I'm not one who believes that winning will bring back the sellouts that used to be common.

Tech has done a good job in recent years at getting a large student turnout for some games. I hope they can find a way to make that more common, because I feel like the students improve the atmosphere greatly even if the other seats aren't full. I also noted that both Batt and his deputy have served as principal administrators for Men's Basketball at prior stops, so hopefully they can bring in some additional ideas.

Anyway, I'm going to close my tabs and spreadsheets and quit thinking about this. Hope we'll have a good crowd for the UGa game tonight.
Yeah, I have been noticing the attendance at other ACC home games. Virginia Tech and Duke
had spirited crowds.
When coach first got here, he had a lot of “Ra Ra”, but that
is flat now. There was some excitement when we won the ACC tournament but it was a somewhat shortened event and shadowed by covid.
A contributing factor for the Hawks and Ga Tech is the increased crime downtown.
A lot of people that used to go downtown don’t want to leave the relative safety of the suburbs.
Guns and shootings and gangs
appear to have increased, or maybe it is the increased sensationalism of it in the news or both.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Just to support the idea that winning = attendance, Virginia Tech wasn’t always like that. They used to have similar crowds to us, made 2 really good hires in Buzz Williams and Mike Young, and started winning. Now it’s definitely one of the best atmospheres in the ACC.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just to make you feel a bit "better". Last year we were next to last in the ACC in avg attendance at 4,791 per game - ahead of Miami at 4,292 per game. This year we have moved to dead last at 3,304 per game - behind even BC at 4,328 per game. Not really a tenable position for a BB program.

I hate to say it but I am not sure we would be close to selling out even if we were on track for 20+ wins. There is a lot of inertia over multiple years to overcome in people just staying away.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

View attachment 13714

Great research and post!

As for this year, we haven’t had any decent opponents at home, so I’m not surprised the numbers are down. The UGA game should be a good benchmark. Once we add the ACC games. The average should go way up

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Great research and post!

As for this year, we haven’t had any decent opponents at home, so I’m not surprised the numbers are down. The UGA game should be a good benchmark. Once we add the ACC games. The average should go way up
During conference play the average will go up, but I wouldn’t bank it going “way up”. Our season average last year was only about 4700 or 54% of capacity. Pretty lousy.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Just to make you feel a bit "better". Last year we were next to last in the ACC in avg attendance at 4,791 per game - ahead of Miami at 4,292 per game. This year we have moved to dead last at 3,304 per game - behind even BC at 4,328 per game. Not really a tenable position for a BB program.

I hate to say it but I am not sure we would be close to selling out even if we were on track for 20+ wins. There is a lot of inertia over multiple years to overcome in people just staying away.
Winning will help, but maybe not much if the winning only starts after half a season of mediocre results. I think a season of winning followed by a preseason of hype/hope to be a contender in the ACC is what it will take to see good crowds.the Wisconsin game last year is a good example. If memory serves, we were coming off an ACC title, Wisconsin was ranked, and we had not lost enough early games for fans to have lost interest by that point. We had some hope/hype that we would build off the ACC championship and beat a nationally ranked team in the early season. And the Thrillerdome was going off that night!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
There is nothing attractive about going to a GT basketball game right now. We’re a lousy team that plays a boring style of basketball, without any compelling players on the roster. I don’t know if I would even want to make the trip to Atlanta for a game if I had free tickets in the Callaway Club. It honestly just sounds like a waste of time. We need a major overhaul of our basketball program, and with the portal as well as basketball being relatively easy to make dramatic shifts in just 1 or 2 years, something should happen soon that makes GT basketball exciting again.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
There is nothing attractive about going to a GT basketball game right now. We’re a lousy team that plays a boring style of basketball, without any compelling players on the roster. I don’t know if I would even want to make the trip to Atlanta for a game if I had free tickets in the Callaway Club. It honestly just sounds like a waste of time. We need a major overhaul of our basketball program, and with the portal as well as basketball being relatively easy to make dramatic shifts in just 1 or 2 years, something should happen soon that makes GT basketball exciting again.
GT basketball has not been great, but it’s been a helluva lot more attractive than football for the past 4-5 years.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
I honestly believe its the style of play. We can majority agree on the offense being ancient and not catering to our players which would make us think they are not that good when in fact they really are.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Good stuff, frankly, the season ticket exchange benefit is not doing the early game attendance any favors either. I'm not sure who else has taken advantage of it but it allows season ticket holders to exchange any tickets for games they don't want to attend for additional tickets to any other game on the calendar (assuming there is remaining inventory). The crazy thing is there is no limit to how many times you can do this or any blackout games from the exchange. For example, you could turn Clayton State tickets into more Duke tickets and so on. Considering how weak the non conference slate is this year, it wasn't hard to turn in all those tickets and get double the amount of tickets for conference play in return.
Just playing within the rules.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
For what it's worth, the last 2 minutes of the game tonight was probably the first college basketball catharsis moment for a good chunk of Tech fans in attendance. Similar to the Wisconsin game last year (I thought the Wisconsin student section was rowdier for that 9pm tip - folks definitely pregamed that one) except everyone walked away happy this time. It was loud in there with about 4,000 Tech fans in attendance too - imagine 8,600.

Those kind of experiences will get people coming back to games.