Maryland Football ... issues

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Durkin shouldn't be the last one fired over this. The folks that lacked the courage and foresight to do the right thing should no longer be in positions of power.
Well the president said he will retire summer of 2019, so I doubt they fire him instead of letting him walk away. I don't know who has the ability to fire the BOR, but yes they deserve to lose their jobs.

Deleted member 2897

I read that there was an investigation and Maryland is not able to fire the coach with cause. Meaning they would be required to pay a $6Million buyout. This was the reason the board decided to retain the coach.

Not saying I agree, but if you don't have a way to pay the money, I can see the justification.

I would say having a player die and an investigation showing a culture of disfunction should be enough. If it’s not, then something is wrong with your contracts. As of right now, Maryland is still saying they will pay him out, so it looks like a contract issue indeed. Some of the schools out there must want to win at all costs and therefore must have literally no way to fire a coach.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Odd ..
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report...adequately-treat-jordan-mcnair-164156456.html
McNair, a Maryland offensive lineman, suffered exertional heat stroke during a May 29 conditioning workout and died June 13. An investigation into McNair’s death determined that the football training staff did not follow proper protocols in addressing McNair’s symptoms.

Nonetheless, according to the Washington Post, the board recommended retaining director of athletic training Steve Nordwall and head football trainer Wes Robinson, both of whom have been on administrative leave since August

What more would they have had to (not) do in order to be fired?

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Winning at all costs seems to have been the Maryland motto for football for a while ... wonder if the Big10 is happy, they really upped their football profile adding Maryland and Rutgers ??

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Maryland fired the two athletic trainers who were heavily criticized in the death of Jordan McNair. The trainers were: head football athletic trainer Wes Robinson and the assistant athletic director for athletic training Steve Nordwall.

THWG

Helluva Engineer