Mark Price to interview with the Cavs

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Interesting... Going to be tough for anyone, especially someone without HC experience.

Yep. But doesn't he have some experience? I know its a big difference between coaching high school and the nba (lol) but he has some HC experience.

I was hoping GT would have hired him as an assistant by now, personally.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yep. But doesn't he have some experience? I know its a big difference between coaching high school and the nba (lol) but he has some HC experience.

I was hoping GT would have hired him as an assistant by now, personally.

Not only does he have more coaching experience than those other guys, I believe he was an assistant under Hewitt for a season, if I recall correctly.

He & Craig Neal interviewed as a package deal, co-head coaches or something like that. No idea if the money played in with those two, but neither had been head coaches yet at the time.

Also, hindsight being 20/20, I think DRad is clueless when it comes to hoops. People bashed that long term deal for Brownell. Probably smartest hoops move he's made to date.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I wish him well although I'm one of the ones who didn't want him as our coach. I feel the same way about the Cavs interview as i feel about the prospect of Price as our head coach. If he'd never worn the uniform he'd never be considered.

I think Kidd walked into a favorable situation and has enough cache to survive until his vets are gone. Fisher has walked into a mess and will be a spectacular failure IMHO. Kerr has at least been a GM at that level. He's walked into a good situation so he's got a chance.

Price may not want to cut his teeth in Cleveland anyway. The Cavs have a mess of a team and they need somebody like Memphis' former coach to whip them into shape. Their young stars are talented but won't coexist for much longer.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As a Knicks fan, we're a mess and I'm not sure Derek Fisher solves anything, although he'll likely have the respect of the players. That said, Mike Woodson had the respect of the players.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
As a Knicks fan, we're a mess and I'm not sure Derek Fisher solves anything, although he'll likely have the respect of the players. That said, Mike Woodson had the respect of the players.

Oh man, you're a Knicks fan? I'm a Hawks fan so I can sympathize to a degree. Was rooting for y'all to make the playoffs so we could fall into the lotto. Ah well. We might be on a decent track to improve based on what could happen this offseason.

I agree with you assessment too. It's just a bad mix of players and they don't have many options for changing it.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Everyone comes off the cap after next year except for Shumpert, Hardaway Jr., & JR Smith. I believe Felton's contract isn't guaranteed after this year, so literally everyone.

I hope Phil tells Melo to pound sand unless he's willing to come back for less than the max, allowing us to build a "Big 3".

I was also hoping for us to make that final spot, but moreso because I was convinced Karma would result in our pick going Top 3 for Denver or whoever owns it by now.

I will say this. I wasn't a big fan of Shump at GT, mainly because I think he was selfish as a player at GT, regardless of how many assists he had. Also, while I think he put in the work to improve, I think he clowned around plenty (i.e. - his original twitter account, drinking free tequila in Atlantis while the VT team was at the craps table). He had a very good GT career, but I think he could have singlehandedly lifted the team higher than we were during his time.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From a coaching stand point, would you rather have had Mark Jackson?
Absolutely. Proven he can coach players and win games. That said, he got booted from GSW due to a lack of relationship with management.

The jury will be out on Fisher until the wins are on the board, but purely from a coaching standpoint, I'd have rather had Mark Jackson today.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Everyone comes off the cap after next year except for Shumpert, Hardaway Jr., & JR Smith. I believe Felton's contract isn't guaranteed after this year, so literally everyone.

I hope Phil tells Melo to pound sand unless he's willing to come back for less than the max, allowing us to build a "Big 3".

I was also hoping for us to make that final spot, but moreso because I was convinced Karma would result in our pick going Top 3 for Denver or whoever owns it by now.

I will say this. I wasn't a big fan of Shump at GT, mainly because I think he was selfish as a player at GT, regardless of how many assists he had. Also, while I think he put in the work to improve, I think he clowned around plenty (i.e. - his original twitter account, drinking free tequila in Atlantis while the VT team was at the craps table). He had a very good GT career, but I think he could have singlehandedly lifted the team higher than we were during his time.

Ah, so you've got a 1-year sentence then freedom. Agree on Melo and I believe he will come back for less if he knows what's good for him. Actually anywhere he'd go will have to be for less or he's admitting he's about money not winning.

I hear you on Shumpert. Certainly could've been better here. I still root for him in the league though.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
First choice Craig Neal and then Price .. but Price could always be an assistant ..
Hope he would come now and help with this teams shooting.