Marcus Marshall - Freshman All American Honorable Mention

Status
Not open for further replies.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
They named 18 freshmen runningbacks in that article. I wonder how many frosh backs even played enough snaps for consideration.

He needs to get a lot better during the spring or he's gonna find himself playing end instead, as in sitting on the end of the bench.

MM's Christmas wish list:

1. blocking ability
2. ball security
3. blocking ability
4. quickness to the mesh
5. blocking ability
6. tackle breaking/keeping feet after contact
7. blocking ability

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I know it's harsh but I expect Marcus to want all that stuff for himself and more importantly, I expect him to succeed in it.

It's harsh also because the stuff I listed is stuff we have to have from the position. We have to have it.

btw, it's really only a 4 item list. ;)

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
There's definitely a learning curve for new B-backs. Took Laskey until his senior year to really nail the blocking, plus he like many others was less secure with the foosball early on.

We may get the rare guy who comes right in and can immediately block, make the presnap read, have a knack for the crease, understand to go full out on the snap, handle the blocking, AND keep the ball secure. Really Preston Lyons was kind of like this...he just didn't have the ability to create on his own. Still a valuable asset.

Can't think of anyone who has come in with the whole enchilada. Dwyer was close but took a year to get the blocking down. Also he used a lot of natural ability to make up for deficiencies in other areas.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There's definitely a learning curve for new B-backs. Took Laskey until his senior year to really nail the blocking, plus he like many others was less secure with the foosball early on.

We may get the rare guy who comes right in and can immediately block, make the presnap read, have a knack for the crease, understand to go full out on the snap, handle the blocking, AND keep the ball secure. Really Preston Lyons was kind of like this...he just didn't have the ability to create on his own. Still a valuable asset.

Can't think of anyone who has come in with the whole enchilada. Dwyer was close but took a year to get the blocking down. Also he used a lot of natural ability to make up for deficiencies in other areas.
What exactly are the presnap reads for a Bback?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It's absolutely mind-boggling how Marshall only had 86 carries on the year.

Reactions: Lee

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Couldn't agree more. Sometimes it feels like someone is watching other film. He's one of our most explosive players, he's patient, finds holes well, and has excellent movement in tight quarters.

It's funny, I think people forget he's the first true freshman BB to start under CPJ in a long time (it could be the 1st ever idk enough about PJ history). Kid is only 18...I think he will be a stud by senior year.

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
He can't block worth a toot. He's a big part of the reason JT was running for his life every time he dropped back.

Funny, Thomas was still running for his life even when the pro style fullback was in the game. Maybe it's the scheme and requiring the back to be able to block 3 guys on passing plays, often on both side of the line. We should probably change it up to have the linemen block some guys some time. It might give our QB more time to pass.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
He would have had more had his fumble rate not been so high. Hopefully he gets a lot better at holding on to the ball this offseason. He is definitely a homerun threat that we have been missing.
Dalvin Cook had fumble issues his rookie year. Here's to MM following up with a similar sophomore year.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
He can't block worth a toot. He's a big part of the reason JT was running for his life every time he dropped back.

Dang you really cannot see the forest for the trees. The guy is the best pure runner we have had at BB since Dwyer. Yes, he needs blocking improvement no doubt. It's like you literally wanna fight the point of the thread until the death.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Dang you really cannot see the forest for the trees. The guy is the best pure runner we have had at BB since Dwyer. Yes, he needs blocking improvement no doubt. It's like you literally wanna fight the point of the thread until the death.
I agree he's darn good with the ball in his hands, but there's more to the position than running the ball in wide open space, a lot more. All I'm saying is that the job won't be handed to him in spring. He's gonna have to win it from a long cast of characters who all "came highly recommended." He's gonna be forced to work on his short comings which is a very good thing. If you can't see that, then it's you who "can't see the forest."

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
what i see is a good runner that can be great, and no matter who played BB for us this year the line broke like a jailbreak. There was no one on this team, in blocking, that did anything worth a flip from freshman to senior. And we were so bad, I don't even think MM in blocking was the greatest of all the evils. The OL was a joke; and their primary job is to block. Not run then block. But to block. And its hard pressed to find anyone on our OL who blocked any better than anyone else LOL.

does he block and know his assignments in blocking in the run game? Shoot not yet or that good. Does he go the wrong way some times? Yup. Does he break through the line and get tunnel vision cuz the game is so much faster and he is not totally confident yet; and doesn't make that first guy miss like he could? Yup.

MM is young, will need to learn those things and if he doesn't his pure running ability will make him only a part time player, not a full time guy.

BTW, you know why NFL has 3rd down backs? Called specialization...backs good in blocking pickup and passing game.
You know we could consider a more multiple package to take advantage of our guys certain talents more too...vs this is the system go and conquer....and just maybe some more pass blocking friendly scheme tweaks could be employed....but...8 years...and still...we struggle bigtime. Players different, coaches same.

Status
Not open for further replies.