machelle joseph and the lady jackets

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Thought we were staying in the U.S. to finish out the '17 class(and we still might be)....and hearing G.T. is now reaching out to a Swedish contact.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
....and don't get me started on attendance. Just like the comparative scores being distant within the ranks of separation between the successful programs & the ones lacking to engage parity in the game, so are the tails in the seats.

It's not CMJ's responsibility or so she told me for Marketing the fans. Referred me to Theresa Wenzel in the past. When giving TW the names of Directors in Retirement Homes in the area, Schools that had Coaches/Principal(s) that were interested in large group deals, she never followed up accordingly. The two bus carriers that needed to coordinate the deals being proposed unofficially by me, said she didn't contact them either. All had great interest in a package with transportation being included for the young and old.

If you want the program to get to another level, it must be supported accordingly. Look at the three schools I listed in the above post. You will notice they sell out most games and they are located towards the eastern side of the U.S.A.

We are not going to attract a coach more proven than she is, for what is being offered. As THWG stated above...there was not this high of a level for GTWBB before her.

THATS why i suggested she/cjp get on the same page. if she told you that marketing the program is not her responsibility IN MY OPINION that seals the deal for me. she should be taking the LEAD IN MARKETING THE PROGRAM and using her resources to further that goal. that what a good ceo would do.

do you honestly think that there is not a SINGLE coach in america who wouldnt jump at the chance at coaching the jackets and all that it entails?

can you fn imagine cjp saying " ITS NOT MY JOB TO ATTRACT FANS"? that sound every bit as arrogant as phewitt. HAD CJP SAID THAT IM SURE WE WOULD HAVE BALKED AT HIS BEING OUR COACH. yet... we are ok with machelle not doing all she can do to improve the program? get the f outa here. that is awful is she actually said that.

its not like she has the worst job in america. i dont know what her SALARY is but im sure its 6 figures.

sorry but after reading what you typed and the fact that she did not follow up on help offered? imo she needs to be gone. what other things is she not following up on that could help the program?

if anything we should consider the gt baskeball program as one entity with both men and women's teams under that umbrella. each coach the players and the fans should be supporting both programs. success breeds success. id like to see the woman's team at the mens games and vice versa.

just my opinion.

Last edited:

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
We are not UCONN, Tennessee or Baylor. There was basically no program before coach Jo got here and now she has the program at a consistent and competitive level even if she is not making the NCAA tournament every year. She is the Bobby Cremins of our women's basketball program so she deserves to stay.
Michele Joseph is in a better situation right now than Coach Holly Warlick is at Tennessee. Tennessee lost in the first round of the SEC Tournament to Alabama and is 19-12 putting Holly on the hotseat. Holly is destroying the Tennessee Program that Pat Summitt took years to build.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Michele Joseph is in a better situation right now than Coach Holly Warlick is at Tennessee. Tennessee lost in the first round of the SEC Tournament to Alabama and is 19-12 putting Holly on the hotseat. Holly is destroying the Tennessee Program that Pat Summitt took years to build.
I just meant the reputation of Tennessee. I know that they aren't quite as good as they used to be.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
GTPI-
I would never disagree about what the C.E.O. of the program should be doing. That's why I went to her first. The follow up by the "other person" mentioned, was inexcusable under any circumstances. Probably another reason she moved on to "Dream" basketball.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
On New Year's night 2015 the ladies team was in Louisville for a game/tournament...I don't remember which. My wife and daughter and I had stopped off in downtown Louisville on our way back from a wedding in Indy and got a bite to eat in some restaurant. I had my GT ballcap on and before I know it these two women step in the door of the restaurant and yell "Go Jackets" at us. It was Machelle and an assistant coach, I assume. I waved her over to the table and we talked for few minutes. I'll give her credit though for really liking the Institute.

Deleted member 2897

We have 8 players that are underclass(wo)men. While nobody is beyond constructive criticism, how about we also show a little loyalty.

Please go take a look at this history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Tech_Yellow_Jackets_women's_basketball

Note in particular the record in ACC play. We never in the history of our entire program had a > 0.500 record in conference play until CMJ. And now she's had 7 in the last 11 years and 1 that wasn't was exactly 0.500 at 7-7. Whereas we had 3 seasons in our history with > 20 wins before CMJ, she's had 8.

To fill in the gaps of the long-since-touched link above:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014–15_Georgia_Tech_Yellow_Jackets_women's_basketball_team
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_Georgia_Tech_Yellow_Jackets_women's_basketball_team
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_Georgia_Tech_Yellow_Jackets_women's_basketball_team

Lets not get ahead of ourselves and demand perfection when we all know the resource and academic challenges we have here.

Deleted member 2897

We have 8 players that are underclass(wo)men.

Apologies on the 8 typo. I noticed it after the edit time allowance was over. The top 7 scoring players contain 0 seniors. I don't think they hit the pre-season expectations that CMJ had for the team, but the future is still bright.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Count me as one who thinks that the coach's primary job is to recruit good players, and then coach them up. TW was (apparently) a joke in her job, and good riddance. I believe pretty much all the women's programs have suffered and most seemed to suffer the most during her reign. Let's see how we do now under a different regime.

Getting fans to these games is a tough sell, imho. Women's basketball is a lot scrappier than men's, but it has always driven me nuts to watch players miss free throws, and it seems like they are worse at this than most men's teams (it drives me nuts when the men miss them too!). But Coach Jo's teams do always seems o compete hard throughout a game.

I feel she deserves more time. She does appear to be a fan of the Institute, and I agree with those who ask why we should expect a big time women's coach to come to a program with no fan base and an apparent short fuse.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Bwelbo-
I tried to point out the total record over on the Hive because we have a few WBB loyalists there. The ones who take issue, generally don't attend the games-but do want G.T. to be in the top 25 every year. We all want that! Nice job compiling!!!

Kierra Fletcher