M Bob

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Uh, Ken Seguira just tweeted that Bobinski is leaving to take the Purdue AD job. I can't decide if this is good or bad...

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
WOW! Didn't see this one coming. Although not surprising since he is from ND. He gets a bad rap by a lot of people but his hands were tied from above.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
IMO both he and Rad is an indication of how tough it is to work with our school and our faculty dominated board; I know this was a component of Rad's dissatisfaction....I can't state that for MBob; I just suspect its a small part of it...(under the job satisfaction category)

of course most fans will like this so they will gloss over potential reasons why....

Techster

Helluva Engineer
http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2016/08/09/mike-bobinski-expected-to-take-purdue-ad-job/

I think it's best for both MBob and GT.

I have no doubt MBob did his best and did what he thought was in GT's best interest, but some of his decisions and some of his own contradictions in the made it seem like he was out of his depth stepping up to this level. Unfortunately, the lessons we learned while on the job here he's taking to Purdue, and GT is left looking for another AD again.

I think some of the things CPJ to the media regarding facilities and support staff was made for the next AD knowing his working relationship with MBob was soon to be over. Kinda uncharacteristic of CPJ to make waves on non-team related news before and during the season.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
And he's outta here.
To be fair being an AD is not an easy job. Being an AD at GT is probably even more challenging. It's never good to replace the top guy especially one this soon. Unless GT has a replacement in mind this could be bad. Either way change is a coming and the programs are in flux.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Depends on who we hire and are they ready for an uphill challenge. The next AD will have some big things on their plate from the beginning like the new apparel deal. My worry is many within the department say that Bud and the Admin were hindering MBob and that is who will be making our next AD hire.

The AD world is small. I'm sure people talk behind the scenes when discussing various jobs around the country. If what you say is true regarding Bud and Admin, I'm sure the next candidate will be fully aware of it before even interviewing. That would be the time for the new AD to get what he wants or what he thinks he needs to make our athletic department. I would not take a job unless certain assurances are made. If Bud and the Admin are hesitant to do it, then they get ready for a long search or having to do this every 5 years or so.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2016/08/09/mike-bobinski-expected-to-take-purdue-ad-job/

I think it's best for both MBob and GT.

I have no doubt MBob did his best and did what he thought was in GT's best interest, but some of his decisions and some of his own contradictions in the made it seem like he was out of his depth stepping up to this level. Unfortunately, the lessons we learned while on the job here he's taking to Purdue, and GT is left looking for another AD again.

I think some of the things CPJ to the media regarding facilities and support staff was made for the next AD knowing his working relationship with MBob was soon to be over. Kinda uncharacteristic of CPJ to make waves on non-team related news before and during the season.

It also shows who holds the power in the Athletic Department. CPJ should just make the hire. Lol

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Never had a good feeling about Mbob so his departure doesn't concern me. Who the president brings in now does. Can we find a guy who actually wants to be here for starters? Lol

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Never had a good feeling about Mbob so his departure doesn't concern me. Who the president brings in now does. Can we find a guy who actually wants to be here for starters? Lol

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Early word on Twitter is it's a great hire for Purdue.

We'll see...but expectations for Purdue athletics is totally different than at GT where we've had success in pretty much every major men's and women's sports before MBob got here.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
It is a good hire for Perdue I guess.
He botched a lot of stuff here at GT.
Now GT has to hire a new AD, should be interesting.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Early word on Twitter is it's a great hire for Purdue.

We'll see...but expectations for Purdue athletics is totally different than at GT where we've had success in pretty much every major men's and women's sports before MBob got here.
Football has struggled, but Purdue MBB has made the NCCAT 8 of the last 10 years, and WBB has made it 18/20 years with a National Championship and a runner-up..

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it's really good or bad. IMO he was hired because his experience in regard to basketball hires and now that he has overseen the transition to Pastner he's effectively done what he was hired to do. Now that is done both sides move on, or so it seems.

That is a very good point. He was hired with the goal of fixing basketball. Now that we have Pastner can we get an AD focused on football and raising $$$$