L'Ville

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Don't get me wrong, I'm still pumped for the series win and it's huge for momentum, but the guys need to put their foot down when they have it on an opponent's neck. Still love this team and the rest of ACC play sets us up for a shot at the Coastal.
The thing is, I don’t think it is reasonable to expect that kind of starting pitching every weekend. If we don’t solve the pen problem we can’t reach the potential that this team is capable of. It’s like owning a ShelbyGT and continually running it on 7 of 8 cylinders. If it is less than a two run lead in the ninth, we need to substitute for tristen so he will be “as ready as possible” to come in when we need him.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The thing is, I don’t think it is reasonable to expect that kind of starting pitching every weekend. If we don’t solve the pen problem we can’t reach the potential that this team is capable of. It’s like owning a ShelbyGT and continually running it on 7 of 8 cylinders. If it is less than a two run lead in the ninth, we need to substitute for tristen so he will be “as ready as possible” to come in when we need him.
Quoted for truth.

I literally agree with everything in this post!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Quoted for truth.

I literally agree with everything in this post!
If you are suggesting removing English late in games to get ready in pen... you cannot do that. Once he's replaced, he can't re-enter.

This is a legit issue for Hall. The only option is really send him to pen to warmup while Tech bats in half inning prior to having him pitch. If he's due up... your hands are somewhat tied.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
You can't substitute as in taking him out of the game to warm up. You have to ,let him warm up when we are at bat and he is not hitting in that inning. When we switch to the mound from first base, we substitute a new guy at first base who bats in the designated hitter's place in the batting order. You lose the DH.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
I wonder if there might be some consideration to not playing English at 1B every day and use him as the DH at least once or twice on the weekend. You could play Guldberg in the OF and have Radcliff at 1B. At least then, he could be warming up while the team is in the field.

Of course, you obviously don't know which game it might be more important to have him ready to close, but still seems like you've got to try something different as he is clearly the only one you can trust in the 9th.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
If you are suggesting removing English late in games to get ready in pen... you cannot do that. Once he's replaced, he can't re-enter.

This is a legit issue for Hall. The only option is really send him to pen to warmup while Tech bats in half inning prior to having him pitch. If he's due up... your hands are somewhat tied.
Yep, that’s right. I thought you could move him to DH and then to pitch, but that’s not allowed. In that case, in any one run game and maybe 2 run games, hall should consider automatically bringing tristen in tonstart the 9th(assuming he continues to be effective in that role). We can’t continue with what we have been doing.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
One out of box idea. Make English Fri starter... he'll be most rested for Fri start. Make Curry your closer. Won't happen because Hall never messes with something that works (ie. Curry on Friday)

EDIT: I do not think CDH sees a problem. By his metrics the last 2 weekends are successes. Based on what he says, he considers winning 2 per series totally ok despite missed opportunities (bullpen failures) like we experienced v UVA & LOU.

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
One out of box idea. Make English Fri starter... he'll be most rested for Fri start. Make Curry your closer. Won't happen because Hall never messes with something that works (ie. Curry on Friday)

EDIT: I do not think CDH sees a problem. By his metrics the last 2 weekends are successes. Based on what he says, he considers winning 2 per series totally ok despite missed opportunities (bullpen failures) like we experienced v UVA & LOU.
Umm, don't forget the bullpen meltdowns vs Miami (2 out, 2 run HR to beat us by 1 in the bottom of 9th) and Northwestern as well.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer

Heaven help us if he doesn’t see a problem.

Deleted member 2897

Heaven help us if he doesn’t see a problem.

I said it before, and I could be wrong as I still haven’t made time to double check it, but we’ve lost 3 ACC games in the last inning when we were actually leading. EDIT: (Miami we were leading in the 7th before Miami ties and then later took the win).

Furthermore, we were leading West Virginia and UCLA in the 7th inning and then gave up runs late. So while we did win those by 1 run late, we didn’t hang on - we gave up leads and then had to win in extra innings.

So I’m pretty sure that if we’re up by 1-2 runs in the last couple innings, our record is below 0.500. That shouldn’t happen ever in any sport.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I said it before, and I could be wrong as I still haven’t made time to double check it, but we’ve lost 3 ACC games in the last inning when we were actually leading. EDIT: (Miami we were leading in the 7th before Miami ties and then later took the win).

Furthermore, we were leading West Virginia and UCLA in the 7th inning and then gave up runs late. So while we did win those by 1 run late, we didn’t hang on - we gave up leads and then had to win in extra innings.

So I’m pretty sure that if we’re up by 1-2 runs in the last couple innings, our record is below 0.500. That shouldn’t happen ever in any sport.
We also led Northwestern 1-0 after 7 complete before the bullpen collapsed and allowed 5 runs in the 8th to blow that game.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer

It happens in baseball. Especially when there is a lack of consistent quality relief pitching.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
OK, I was on the road with family stuff and listened to the game. Fortunately, I haven't posted till now.

First off, Hall is the only thing holding this team back IMHO.

That's because we SHOULD have lost the game in the 7th when his fav Bartnicki loaded the bases with one out. Bartnicki should have been pulled after two got on. We got a gift from the baseball Gods with a DP.

Then in the ninth, Carpenter and Gibson (please God NO NO NO NO NO) were warming up. But our stubborn coach kept Hughes in for three walks and the gift win. Carpenter would have been a better choice. English not warmed up is a bad idea IMHO to come in. Let him warm up T9th and then take first if you want to, but at least he's somewhat ready to go. But Hall and Howell planning ahead would be something new.

The baseball Gods kicked us in the nuts. We deserved it since Hall is too old and stubborn to change. He takes top 20 recruited talent and makes it 45 or so RPI. The sum of the parts is greater than the sum the total because Hall takes his cut off the top. We have an old team and at least 5 players who should get drafted this year. Blowing leads in past years we heard the excuse that we were "young". BS then and now.

This team has the talent to host. But I doubt we will because Hall will keep pissing away opportunities, again and again and again.

Glad I didn't post yesterday since I was mad then. Now I've come to the acceptance stage.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
If I'm not mistaken, I saw English walking back to the dugout in the 8th when we were at bat with PC Howell. Howell has previously stated that it depends on how English feels in the bullpen as to whether he can pitch or not. So perhaps he tried warming up in the 8th and didn't feel right. So he may have been unavailable.