Louisville, anyone?

What will our record be against Louisville this weekend?

• 3-0, here we go!

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • 2-1, have some fun

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • 1-2, makes me blue

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • 0-3, woe is me

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Is Busse spent now for the series? Was trying to track the pitches in game situations since Auburn, & getting close to 100.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Busse threw approximately 60 pitches or close to it during the two innings he worked. So yes, I would think he is done until next week.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I hated watching the inconsistent calls behind the plate. That was tough. I would still like to see Finley as our Friday night guy. He gives us the best chance to win and we have a full pen behind him. Win game 1 and game 3 becomes relevant regardless of game 2 outcome (series win or sweep)
Finley hasn’t gone past 5 in any of his stars (so far). So he does give us a better shot at GM 1, but not sure it helps the pen that much. Maybe save a long reliever but right now we don’t have one of those who are consistent anyway.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Devastating loss last night. LVille is a very good team and 15-1 for a reason. But we were soclose to winning that it hurts all the more. Dawson is not a viable starter yet; had a 9.0 ERA last night.

No expectations for a win today; but it's baseball so who knows.

Tomorrow, Finley will be good for 70-80 pitches; IP depend on how good LVille is at running up the pitch count. They are a very good team and I expect at most 4.0 IP. Then we are into the bullpen with Busse maybe good for 20 pitches (1.0 IP).

So there's another 4.0IP if we are in the lead. The good news is LVille is throwing TBD tomorrow.

1679146050008.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Devine Intervention. The stats gave us no chance in this one but we found a probably starter keeper in Schmolke. Faced one of the best Os we will see all year and did great.

Some really nice D play we made (videos later!) and of course some not so good ones. But beating #8 @LVille is big.

This may be wrong but only 1 ER today. Unbelievable.
1679170946330.png

It's never as good as it feels, and it's never as bad as it seems.

Both teams have used a lot of pitchers, it'll be interesting tomorrow for the Ice Bowl trophy.

Last edited:

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I know we are 1-2 this week and could be 1-3 after tomorrow but even with that I'm definitely encouraged by what I've seen from the guys this week. I think we have our 7 pitchers that we need to rely on and I also think the defense will be solid. It's tough playing on that turf for the first time in this type of weather so I'm not taking anything from the defense this weekend.

It's also really nice to see Hill back. He's going to be a big weapon for us. Just need McGuire to get healthy now and I think we'll have an upper ACC team.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I know we are 1-2 this week and could be 1-3 after tomorrow but even with that I'm definitely encouraged by what I've seen from the guys this week. I think we have our 7 pitchers that we need to rely on and I also think the defense will be solid. It's tough playing on that turf for the first time in this type of weather so I'm not taking anything from the defense this weekend.

It's also really nice to see Hill back. He's going to be a big weapon for us. Just need McGuire to get healthy now and I think we'll have an upper ACC team.
You're a little more optimistic than I am. But it sure feels good today. I'll take it.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
You're a little more optimistic than I am. But it sure feels good today. I'll take it.
Well, I see pitchers emerging that I am trusting more than I have in recent years, even with the extremely high team ERA. I really trust Busse and King at the end of the game. Mannelly has also been solid in that roll and I think that Hill will be but I need to see it. So that would be 4 guys I'd be comfortable with finishing a game or getting a big out when needed. I can't remember the last time I thought that about 2 players let alone 4.

And then I see some middle relievers emerging in Vaughan, Finateri, and Carwile (who I thought was really good both outings this week) that can get it to the back end.

Starters look like Brown (who has been ok to me), Schmolke (impressive the last 2 outings and both against the ACC), and Finley (who is our best). Then hopefully we can get McGuire back and add him to that mix.

That's a solid group to me and one that can help us get to the upper tier of the ACC.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech is a resilient baseball team.

True freshman pitcher Luke Schmolke turned in a second great performance today. He has lots more confidence now, after enduring such a poor and rocky start in his first several outings early in the season.

Cody Carwile continues to steadily improve.

And it was great to see Camron Hill back in the hill in the bottom 9th. He looked sharp after being out so long.

And Jadyn Jackson turned in two gems from his shortstop position!

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, I see pitchers emerging that I am trusting more than I have in recent years, even with the extremely high team ERA. I really trust Busse and King at the end of the game. Mannelly has also been solid in that roll and I think that Hill will be but I need to see it. So that would be 4 guys I'd be comfortable with finishing a game or getting a big out when needed. I can't remember the last time I thought that about 2 players let alone 4.

And then I see some middle relievers emerging in Vaughan, Finateri, and Carwile (who I thought was really good both outings this week) that can get it to the back end.

Starters look like Brown (who has been ok to me), Schmolke (impressive the last 2 outings and both against the ACC), and Finley (who is our best). Then hopefully we can get McGuire back and add him to that mix.

That's a solid group to me and one that can help us get to the upper tier of the ACC.
Agreed - the team ERA continues to look rough but doesn't tell the whole story so far this season. It sure feels like we have more hope on the mound this season as compared to last season. If the kids mentioned above can continue to trend in a positive direction we could end up with a respectable pitching staff this season with more depth than we've had in quite a while. Not there yet but some encouraging signs for sure.

One related question for this board (me included) is we have all complained mightily about CDB to-date (rightfully so based on results) but do we give him any credit for the positive development we are clearly starting to see with all the pitchers listed above? Busse for one is on record giving CDB credit for taking him to "the next level" after transferring to GT...

hsegars

Georgia Tech Fan
Agreed - the team ERA continues to look rough but doesn't tell the whole story so far this season. It sure feels like we have more hope on the mound this season as compared to last season. If the kids mentioned above can continue to trend in a positive direction we could end up with a respectable pitching staff this season with more depth than we've had in quite a while. Not there yet but some encouraging signs for sure.

One related question for this board (me included) is we have all complained mightily about CDB to-date (rightfully so based on results) but do we give him any credit for the positive development we are clearly starting to see with all the pitchers listed above? Busse for one is on record giving CDB credit for taking him to "the next level" after transferring to GT...
Any ideas on Logan McGuire

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Sure he gets credit and I think someone who knows (@eokerholm ) has said he is good at developing pitchers. One of my observations is that Hall has been very good at getting players drafted which leads to recruiting success. That may happen with DBo too, but the data is somewhat limited.

Here's the draft under DBo: https://www.thebaseballcube.com/content/college_history/20124/drafted/ (go to the link and every players updated stats and history there :) )
  • Maxwell - raw throwing talent but still doesn't have sustained control.
  • Huff - transferred in from Vandy and DBo worked with him 2+ seasons. Not good stats (10 ERA in 2021 and 7 ERA in 2020) but talented obviously and progressing. Credited DBo with advancement as I recall.
  • Grissom - left early for $125K which is non-positive reflection of the program / DBo.
  • Hurter - best pitcher statistically so far that DBo has coached (mostly 2021).

1679227702989.png

MaverickGT

Jolly Good Fellow

That's a solid group to me and one that can help us get to the upper tier of the ACCpotential
Potential is there for sure

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Potential is there for sure

Here are our pitchers on roster and Perfect Game rankings, then current stats. I agree, potential is there.

The starters in order of performance & potential would be Finley, Schmolke, Finateri, Brown, then ? (I like Carwile and Vaughan and Mannelly and King as middle relief, but maybe one starts?) Mid-week is definitely staff day with our depth.

List #First NameLast NamePositionPerfect Game Ranking2022-23 School Year2023 Draft Eligible (At least 3 college years or 21 by ~August 1 )Years Eligibility Remaining after 2023 Draft (2020 COVID Year Pass)
VerbalCarsonBallardRHP500 Overall, 487 RHPFr2025 Draft Eligible3
SignedLoganBogueRHP271 overall, 83 RHPFr2025 Draft Eligible3
1DawsonBrownRHP - start500+ Overall, 520 RHPJr2023 Draft eligible1
Jr College TransferTerryBusseRHP - start, reliefHigh follow, 651 CFr2023 Draft eligible3
3CodyCarwileLHP143 LHPSo2024 Draft eligible2
6AedenFinateriRHPOverall 301, 103 RHPSo2024 Draft eligible2
7JacksonFinleyRHP start, relief, DH401 Overall, 138 RHP,R So2022 Draft eligible1
SignedCadenGaudetteRHP500 overall, 259 RHPFr2024 Draft Eligible3
10CamronHillLHP - start, close58 LHPSo2024 Draft eligible2
12BenKingRHP - reliever500+ Overall, 619 RHPJr2022 Draft eligible1 or 2 if RS 2022
14JosephMannellyLHP - reliever500+ Overall, 25 LHPGrad?Eligible - 3 years or more0, Grad
15LoganMcGuireRHP - startOverall 199, 68 RHPSo2024 Draft eligible1
SignedNoahSamolLHP - start maybe233 Overall, 32 LHPFr2025 Draft Eligible3
SignedLukeSchmolkeRHP - start maybe189 Overall, 55 RHPFr2025 Draft Eligible3
20JosiahSiegelLHP - relieverHigh Follow 432 LHPJr2022 Draft eligible1
21DaltonSmithLHP - start500+ Overall, 104 LHPJr2022 Draft eligible1
4 Year TransferJacksonVaughanRHP - relieverNo PG dataJr2023 Draft eligible2
1679230331106.png