Lots of transfers

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
If good experienced players want to join the program why would you say no. All the top programs in the country take in transfers even though they have highly ranked recruiting classes. Why do you think we shouldn't? Seem like you are trying to say something detrimental about our team so why not just come out and say it?

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
If good experienced players want to join the program why would you say no. All the top programs in the country take in transfers even though they have highly ranked recruiting classes. Why do you think we shouldn't? Seem like you are trying to say something detrimental about our team so why not just come out and say it?
Very true and accurate. LSU won the CWS this past season with 2 of their top 3 players being transfers. It is the way the game is played, and not doing so is akin to playing with a hand tied behind your back.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
Wonder why we need so many transfers if our recruiting classes are so good ?
This is the new normal. A very small % of high school recruits will play prior to their junior year. The majority of starters will be junior and seniors either via the portal or those who survived the program (school and baseball). Plenty of blue chip freshman “who played” hit the portal. That’s the new normal coaches are now dealing with. Loyalty both ways is not promised regardless what is said during the recruiting process. I would say the benefit from the coaching side is playing with experience immediately while allowing the high school recruits to develop through practices and summer program’s. A negative is finding team chemistry/bond on and off the field. 4-5 year transfers are there to play baseball and hopefully get drafted. Don’t plan on seeing them at too many event/socials with the other high school recruits enjoying the college experience. They have already done that elsewhere.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
We have been pretty damn good in the transfer portal over the past several years. Go back and look at our rosters and you will see some of our best players have been transfers. So I don't expect that trend to change any time soon. Additionally, players that are considering transferring, notice our success rate and it helps us attract more of them. Add to that the fact that CDH has a pretty good track record of getting his guys drafted.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wonder why we need so many transfers if our recruiting classes are so good ?

Our recruiting classes are highly ranked; our performance isn't. See chart below. So we need to do something to improve performance.

We've done very well in the portal, Chandler Simpson is a perfect example. So I think we should be hitting the transfer portal all we can as that provides experienced talent to fill in the talent holes we have.

Inferring what you are asking about though is a concern about getting too many players committed via HS and the portal and having to "process" many. I agree with that concern and while I think we are not innocent, we are far less guilty than some elite teams who over commit more. The COVID exemption and decrease in minor league teams has made the log jam in college even worse than it was.

The 2023-2024 40 player roster limit is too high IMHO; only so many guys can see meaningful playing time. Right now RamblinWreck shows 48 players on our roster. Some will get RS but some, like maybe 4, but some will need to be cut.

I don't envy having to coaches having to manage rosters or players having to decide where to commit these days with everything in such a state of flux.

1701113025976.png

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Our recruiting classes are highly ranked; our performance isn't. See chart below. So we need to do something to improve performance.

We've done very well in the portal, Chandler Simpson is a perfect example. So I think we should be hitting the transfer portal all we can as that provides experienced talent to fill in the talent holes we have.

Inferring what you are asking about though is a concern about getting too many players committed via HS and the portal and having to "process" many. I agree with that concern and while I think we are not innocent, we are far less guilty than some elite teams who over commit more. The COVID exemption and decrease in minor league teams has made the log jam in college even worse than it was.

The 2023-2024 40 player roster limit is too high IMHO; only so many guys can see meaningful playing time. Right now RamblinWreck shows 48 players on our roster. Some will get RS but some, like maybe 4, but some will need to be cut.

I don't envy having to coaches having to manage rosters or players having to decide where to commit these days with everything in such a state of flux.

View attachment 15230
GIF by ADWEEK

I just couldn't help it. I mean, when GTNN breaks out the charts, it's on....

Quietman6520

Georgia Tech Fan
I think our recruiting has not been very good despite being highly ranked. How do you think the transfers got so good ? Were they misses out of high school by GT ? Chandler Simpson is a perfect example. Local kid, would have loved to come to Tech out of high school but wasn't ranked high enough lol. Why should guys that come to Tech as freshmen stick around and wait their turn when transfers are brought in to play above them immediately ? I played baseball at GT and won 2 acc Championships btw. Sustainable success is built through culture and development. My point is if we have recruited so well every year there shouldn't be gaping holes in our pitching staff or lineup.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
Good perspective. Do you think development is still a priority with the portal changes vs when you played? We have also had a handful of coaching changes the past 5 years or so. How much does that play into it? Most of these recruits are from winning high school programs in the Atlanta area and have impressive highlights/stats to back it up. I struggle to believe the majority are busts. Also some pitchers who were not that consistent for us the past 2-3 years are now doing very well in the minor leagues.

Quietman6520

Georgia Tech Fan
Good perspective. Do you think development is still a priority with the portal changes vs when you played? We have also had a handful of coaching changes the past 5 years or so. How much does that play into it? Most of these recruits are from winning high school programs in the Atlanta area and have impressive highlights/stats to back it up. I struggle to believe the majority are busts. Also some pitchers who were not that consistent for us the past 2-3 years are now doing very well in the minor leagues.
I think development still needs to be a priority but probably isn't happening because I can get a quick fix through the portal. And you're right, some pitchers that were not successful at Tech are doing well post tech.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I think our recruiting has not been very good despite being highly ranked. How do you think the transfers got so good ? Were they misses out of high school by GT ? Chandler Simpson is a perfect example. Local kid, would have loved to come to Tech out of high school but wasn't ranked high enough lol. Why should guys that come to Tech as freshmen stick around and wait their turn when transfers are brought in to play above them immediately ? I played baseball at GT and won 2 acc Championships btw. Sustainable success is built through culture and development. My point is if we have recruited so well every year there shouldn't be gaping holes in our pitching staff or lineup.
I think you are doing a disservice to our recruits if you are going to compare their success to transfers. Keep in mind most of the transfers we are taking in have received 2-4 years of development and growth at their previous stops which gives them a big leg up on incoming recruits who just finished high school. Not sure when you played ball but the old transfer rules causing one to have to sit a year in addition to the lack of the portal in general made it a much different playing field than what we have now. If you aren't heavily involved in the transfer game, no matter what sport you are talking about, you are going to fall behind. All you have to do is take a quick look up I-85 and the Clemson football team to see haw far they have fallen by not playing the transfer game. I bet you old Dabo is second thinking that strategy right now. If not, the boosters will do that for him.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think our recruiting has not been very good despite being highly ranked.

I agree for pitching. Our pitchers come in and generally get injured or don't develop control. Our pitchers who get drafted generally don't put up great numbers until just before they are drafted. Or like Grissom (5+ ERA @ GT), never contribute much but get drafted on potential. https://www.thebaseballcube.com/content/college_history/20124/drafted/

But we consistently recruit well for hitting and catchers. Defense we do ok sometimes.

Or as you said, we have large gaps in capability. That is the problem.

How do you think the transfers got so good ? Were they misses out of high school by GT ? Chandler Simpson is a perfect example. Local kid, would have loved to come to Tech out of high school but wasn't ranked high enough lol.

I think different guys develop differently. So there are going to be a lot of misses and guys who take longer to develop.

Looking at Chandler, he exploded in his third year when he came to GT. Before that he had a mediocre BA in Conference USA (Better OBP and of course speed). In today's environment, we can't wait three years for a player to develop and take up a roster spot for two of those years.

1701786212291.png

Why should guys that come to Tech as freshmen stick around and wait their turn when transfers are brought in to play above them immediately ?

I agree they shouldn't come if they don't have a reasonable expectation of getting playing time in the first two years. They should go someplace less competitive where they are going to get playing time and develop more. Then transfer to the best alternative they can find.

That of course assumes that baseball and not academics are their priority. I think that graduating from GT is far more important than where you start. I tell the kids around here that if they can't afford going to VT or UVa to start that going to a community college and then transferring to those schools to graduate is just as good in the long term. And a lot cheaper.

I played baseball at GT and won 2 acc Championships btw. Sustainable success is built through culture and development. My point is if we have recruited so well every year there shouldn't be gaping holes in our pitching staff or lineup.

Thanks for playing at GT! We live in a new world. Better or worse, it is going to keep changing.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Messing with my roster database, looks like of the 13 starters in our 2 fall games that 6 were transfers.
  • Becchetti, Jones, Green, Yunger, Busse, Ellis were transfers at some point.
  • Brosius, Diamant, Burress (FR), Jaros (Fr), King, Sabathia, Giesler were not transfers.
Of course, there are going to be lots of changes come opening day, but that was the fall starters. I need to do the database to acquaint myself with all the new faces and have easy links to refresh my memory during games. I'll post it at some time.

Like a new team every year.