Looks like CTR.....

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
He is so good interacting with our kids. i hope he stays at Tech for the rest of his days in one capacity or another

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We improved big time down the stretch, was fun to see. Never would have guessed we would have held uga to a low amount.
Well, knocking two balls out at the goal line helps. So does holding the ball for 36+ minutes on offense. I am really glad CTR is going to be here for a while and I do feel we improved some over the course of the season. However, I am still not confident in our defense. The biggest thing you can say about our defense is that we were opportunistic. We created breaks for ourselves and stopped teams in more uncoventional ways. It is hard to get the TOs, including come from behind strips or pick sixes every game.

Most of the problems we face as a defense right now do not really land on CTR's doorstep, in terms of responsibility. In fact, I would say we have done about the absolute best we possibly could have given the roster issues we started with along the LOS. The only criticism I have of Roof, and it is a very small one, is that it took him a little too long to adopt a more aggressive, attacking, and pressing scheme when it appeared obvious it was our only hope.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I don't care if we knock the bowl out at the goal line every drive...a stop is a stop.

That uga offense was averaging 40 a game. We held them to 17.

Stopped them time after time again on the goal line.

Looking at the roster of both teams and that offense is suppose to kill us...they didn't.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
The only criticism I have of Roof, and it is a very small one, is that it took him a little too long to adopt a more aggressive, attacking, and pressing scheme when it appeared obvious it was our only hope.
Even though you state this is a small complaint for you I want to make it even smaller and point out how difficult it is to judge from the outside what looks like "taking too long" to make an "obvious" schematic or philosophical change. Basically, if a style change like becoming more aggressive appears to be the way to go to us it likely has been discussed and seen by the coaches. The problem is that they also intimately know the kids, their strengths and weaknesses. They also know which ones can make that change quickly and execute well and which ones need more practice to be game ready. They also know which ones they have to "cushion" more from failure in certain situations they are not cut out for in order to maintain their confidence level and "bring them along."

My point (and you do not need to be told this Boomer so this comment is just abstract or general) is that recognizing a need to change styles does not mean the ready capacity to actually unleash a different style in a game. In the video game you just hit pause and go in and change up the scheme and style but sometimes with a bunch of moving parts from different class years and coming off redshirts or after injury years the practice needed before a defense can be run in a different style in a real game is a matter of weeks and not days.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Quote from the article that tells me all I need to know about CTR and the defensive staff:

The Jackets allowed 28.3 points per game in the first seven games and 21.3 in the past six.

In those 6 games, we played UGA, FSU, Clemson, as well as bowl teams Pitt and NC St.
I recall CPJ on the radio show intimating that Roof basically stayed up for a few days straight in his office after the UNC game he was so sick of how the defense had been performing to that point. Roof took less money to make a choice he saw as better for his family and came back down here to his alma mater. The guy takes his job to heart and is putting in the effort. I think he really believes in the way things are done at Tech and takes authentic pride in being a part off a winning tradition here. He also brought in Pelton.

I want to see the AD and GTAA keep the staff together for a few years and let's see what they can do.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think that with the players coming in and coming back we have the makings of a decent D. Not a great one, but a decent one. If we are in the top 35 overall Ds next year, then we should do very well. I don't think it will be problem to get to that level, provided we don't have any crucial injuries at DT.

Oth, I also think we are a year away, both in terms of experience and talent, from having a top 25 D. I think Coach Roof can put that together for us, however, and I'm glad he's going to get the chance.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think Roof has done really well, but it would be remiss not to mention having a team that has that play till the whistle mentality. That us what allowed us to win games. If he inspired it, and got the players to buy into it there will be more upside next year.

Just an observation. I think
Roof wanted to play a more aggressive style earlier in the year, but we could not execute it well enough, so he went to a bend don't break style. It was hard to call for a strategy change after we got to 5-0. I give him props for changing it once what he was doing didn't work.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I give roof credit for helping us improve but I still don't think he's a great Defensive Coordinator. I hope position coaches can help us get better and I hope we stay aggressive but he uses the bend but don't break mentality too much for my taste.

slugboy

Staff member
I have a couple of questions about the strategy in the middle of the season (10-yard cushions, not much blitzing in my memory), but he made the most out of what he had. Question is whether he can develop a really solid front 7 in the next year or two.