Looking for Answers in 2015

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ would be one of the first to say we should have won more than 3 games this year...even with the injuries and youth.
Yes, and I think he was among the first anyway. It is not going to be a pleasant winter in that complex, and the spring practice will be worse. The game was hardly over Saturday when he said he would not go "through that again." He is a serious man. I don't know how many we will win in '16, but I do have some confidence there won't be any more LB turned loose on the QB, the fumbles will cease, and the players will know their assignments. Makes me feel better just believing that.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
This is from the AJC - for those that didn't see it - and is one of the specific plays were an Aback fouled up...
"On Thomas’ red-zone interception, for instance, the first-down play preceding it was an option play in which A-back Isiah Willis ran the wrong way, so Thomas was unable to pitch the ball and was stopped for no gain."

Hard to blame JT for a bad read or the like... (not saying anyone did)

Does anyone think that the Aback was "coached" to go the wrong way? Sometimes S*** happens and it happened too often this season.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
This is from the AJC - for those that didn't see it - and is one of the specific plays were an Aback fouled up...
"On Thomas’ red-zone interception, for instance, the first-down play preceding it was an option play in which A-back Isiah Willis ran the wrong way, so Thomas was unable to pitch the ball and was stopped for no gain."

Hard to blame JT for a bad read or the like... (not saying anyone did)

Does anyone think that the Aback was "coached" to go the wrong way? Sometimes S*** happens and it happened too often this season.

That play scared the crap out of me. I thought for sure he was going to pitch it. It would've been a scoop and score do sure. Great job by Justin to hold onto that ball. He still needs to throw the ball away and take the 3 points though, but yea, that play killed the drive.

I think One of the biggest issues all year was pre snap communication. I guarantee you most of those guys knew exactly what they needed to do breaking the huddle. Where I would imagine most of the confusion set in was with checks at the line, hand signals...etc. Hence the unnecessary timeouts to prevent a delay of game. This is where having the experience we did last year at the aback position was so huge. They probably didn't even need to see or hear the check because they could see how the D was lined up and just know what they were supposed to do.

This gives me hope that having been thrown in the fire this year, these kids will be so much more prepared next year. A year to grow, not only physically, but mentally as well. Lots of time in the film room for these young guys coming up. They need to see what Justin sees. That is why him and Smelter were so good, they knew what the other was going to do before they did it. Even Waller didn't have that with Justin as was evidenced in the ACC championship game last year. I hope Justin and at least one of WRs can develope that this offseason. I would think Stewart would be a good candidate. He seems to be a very . instinctual player like Smelter. With some work in the weight room he could become more physical like him as well. We've seen him win jump balls, if he learns how to box out defenders for balls he will become a big weapon for us. Excited to see Philott as well.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Top to bottom our talent level is the best I've seen in a long time IMO. Inexperience was the biggest bugaboo for our O. Too much at all the skill positions (QB included b cause of no depth). The Oline......I still don't get why our run blocking regressed so much. Our pass pro regressed too even though I didn't think that was hardly possible after 14. The Oline was a total head scratcher.

On D.....lots of little shortcomings across the board....inexperience / youth at a few positions. Overall just Ok....but good enough to win several more games if the O had been even decent by recent standards. There were a lot of players on D that I love. But only one that looks to have a shot at a real solid pro career. Talent is improving on this side too but it is still young.

Aanderson1839

Georgia Tech Fan
Have not posted in a while. But Paul Johnson did not forget how to coach this year but we clearly had a terrible season. At the end of last season we had a top 3 or 4 offense in the country. We have never had a bad season on offense until this year and in most years have had a very productive offense. It is one bad season, if next season is the same then we have a problem.

Our Defense showed some real signs of life this season, granted with some really bad moments as well. Given how bad our offense and special teams were this season the D held up pretty well and kept us in some games. Some promise for next year.

Short way of saying this year was awful, I think Paul Johnson is a great football coach and will right the ship for next year.