looking ahead B Back

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Maybe im naive, but seeing how well a guy like Synjyn Days can pick up the B-Back position in a relatively short amount of time makes me confident that the coaches will have Leggett ready to take the load. As for his backups, we will have to see. That may be a weak spot for at least the first part of the season.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
'14 ypg = 118.5
'09 ypg = 109.6

More yards per game = more production in my book.

The '09 Bbacks had the luxury of clueless defenses having to key on Nesbitt on the midline keeper, AA on the pitch and Bay Bay on jump balls and smoke routes. The '14 Bbacks had the luxury of a better OL. It's a wash.

Again, I'm not saying any of our current Bbacks are better pure runners than Dwyer. All I'm saying is that we don't need "another Dwyer" to be as equally productive. This year is living proof of that.

That said, I'd absolute love another Dwyer to go with JT and this OL.

I thought our fanbase had learned the value of efficiency by now? I guess not. Also, I would argue that, while having Anthony Allen and Bay Bay potentially helped Dwyer by forcing defenses not to put all their focus on Dwyer, it also hurt his total numbers in that those guy were so good they needed the ball a lot. Thus he got less carries, but was more efficient, productive, and explosive in the carries he got. He was still probably a bigger focus of opposing defenses than this group of b-backs were.

Listen, I think we are just arguing a bit over semantics at this point. The bottom line for me is that I think Dwyer would have made this team better. I think you seem to agree with that. That said, yes, we can be productive without a Dwyer type player, especially if we have a good QB and strong o-line. That is your point, and I agree with that. That doesn't mean we will be as good though. Same for a-backs. With this system and good blocking, we have found those guys to be largely interchangeable in terms of total production, though some individuals have found ways to make certain plays that can change the face of a particular game by shear talent alone. I am comfortable with what we have and where we are headed, but would certainly love to get some more game-changer, big play busting type of talent :)

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Leggett look like he has put on some weight during his RS year.

Glad Quaide is coming in for the Spring as well.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
For some reason and I know a lot is unknown, but I feel we'll be better at Bback next season. I just feel we've upgraded from a talent standpoint.

Buzzwax

Georgia Tech Fan
Leggett has had a year in the program and will have spring and fall camps to get ready.
Quaide will have a spring and fall camp to get ready.
And we do not need to leave out Braswell the W/O from Pius X and Bryan (6'5 235) who is being carried on the roster as a BB.
And there has been discussion of moving Marcus Allen back to BB.
These are the guys in the house.

MLD? Has not even signed as of yet. We will just need to wait and see.

I am optimistic on the position next season due to the OL which I believe will be a dominant part of the team.

B BACK AND OL GO HAND IN HAND WHEN YOU HAVE POUNDERS LIKE ZL AND SD. WHEN YOU ADD A DWYER THATS A COMBO WE HAVENT HAD YET...

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Shouldn't underestimate the Sr. leadership and experience at BB this year vs. Freshmen players next year.
I think the biggest place we'll notice the lack of experience is on the mesh and pitch relationship. We should have a few more balls on the ground next year, so we better hope the new talent is able to make some big plays because we may need them to keep drives alive. Of course, JT is going to be older, faster, stronger, and smarter running the O so we should do fine with big plays.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Let's hope that whatever weight Leggett has put on doesn't effect his speed. He wasn't all that fast at 205. I'm pretty sure he could keep his speed at 210-15. Not so sure at 220. I say this because if there's one thing that could equalize Leggett with either Laskey or Days, it would be that he has half a step on both of them, if his HS films are any indication. Sure do hope they are.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Weimerskirsch at BB. He looks a lot like a BB in his HS films. But, as Boom says, who knows at this point?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Quade and Mikell both power backs 6'0 205-210 they both can add 10lb-15lbs on their frames.
I'm not as worried about Leggett either he can produce or he'll be moved to aback. Look at Chubb, he's not much bigger if he bigger than Leggett at all and he breaks more tackles and is more stout than backs who are way bigger.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
Whoever it is will get a lot of opportunities because our opponents are going to make us prove we can beat them with the dive. I see them selling out to the edge every play.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Quade and Mikell both power backs 6'0 205-210 they both can add 10lb-15lbs on their frames.
I'm not as worried about Leggett either he can produce or he'll be moved to aback. Look at Chubb, he's not much bigger if he bigger than Leggett at all and he breaks more tackles and is more stout than backs who are way bigger.
I think you're right about the size thing. Chubb isn't a huge guy, but he is very strong and has good instincts. Hopefully Leggett takes advantage of Sisk's training in the offseason. He apparently has some good football instincts based on the way coaches talk about him and the fact that he almost saw the field this season.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think it was kinda easy for synjin because he played qb abs ashtray knew what everyone assignment was man's it a lot easier

Pretty much this. Leggett didn't see the field not because of talent, but because he didn't know his assignments as well as Days or Laskey. Knowing assignments is what kept Laskey from starting over David Sims. Days ability to transition from QB, to AB, to BB was due in part because he had a background playing QB which requires knowing everyone's assignment.

If you look at our BB production, everyone has averaged a decent amount of yardage...so we're going to get production from a physical standpoint no matter who we put back there. If there's one thing about CPJ, it's that he values guys who also understand the mental aspect of their position.