Listening to Chuck Oliver Show...Who Is This Team?

RiseUpATL

Banned
Was listening to the Chuck Oliver show this morning and he had Chris Landry on. Landry is really good at his analysis. Former NFL scout on Belichiks staff. Anyways, they were talking about a team (I’m withholding their name for now) and I heard comments from Chris that I have heard verbatim on this board regarding our Jackets. I’ll give quotes of his below. Can you guess who is describing?

1. They don’t have a sophisticated enough passing game. They need a true dual threat QB to make their system work. People say all the time it’s a high school offense and they are right. But it’s effective as any offense when they have the right pieces in place.

2. They need better play on the offensive line. They are a bit of a mess up front right now which is surprising given the experience of the guys they have up there. But a dual threat QB who can take what the defense if giving them can help take pressure off the poor offensive line play.

3. The thing about xxx football is the inconsistency. One year they can upset xxx and look great, then the next year or two go 8-4. That fanbase will not accept that long term. There has to be consistency for this to work.

4. They are wasting a really good defense. A talented defense. (We can’t say this unfortunately)

5. When things aren’t going well coach xxx takes over because that’s his offense and he takes responsibility for it. But he doesn’t understand the passing game. He is running a QB that isn’t fit to maximize the the offense to what it’s supposed to be. You have to run and pass. If you aren’t a major threat to run it, half the offense is limited. You have a coach who doesn’t understand a sophisticated passing game running a QB whose strength is passing. It’s not working.

Some of that is paraphrased and not exact, but who is Chris describing? And man does it sound like us?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
3. The thing about xxx football is the inconsistency. One year they can upset xxx and look great, then the next year or two go 8-4. That fanbase will not accept that long term. There has to be consistency for this to work.

Some of that is paraphrased and not exact, but who is Chris describing? And man does it sound like us?

I would take pulling upsets and looking great one year, and following it up with a "disappointing" 8-4 season the next. Unfortunately...

RiseUpATL

Banned
I would take pulling upsets and looking great one year, and following it up with a "disappointing" 8-4 season the next. Unfortunately...

Oh I would too. 8-4 is okay with me with an 11 win season in there. I think the difference in Auburns “down seasons” and ours is the fact that they do usually have s really good D to carry the offense when it’s not having a great year.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Definitely a lot of similarities. When they have the right signal caller they’re close to unstoppable. The difference is their overall talent makes their ceiling much higher and floor a little higher as well. I’m still hopeful that Nate Woody can put together a really good defense.

Deleted member 2897

Yup, Auburn. When they won the national championship in 2010, they ran the ball 70% of the time.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Chuck Oliver loves Auburn, loves the SEC....but he loves AU most of all, so it makes sense he'd be focused on them in his show.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Oh I would too. 8-4 is okay with me with an 11 win season in there. I think the difference in Auburns “down seasons” and ours is the fact that they do usually have s really good D to carry the offense when it’s not having a great year.

Auburn can get players in that we can’t. Main difference is stud DLs. Look at Carl Lawson. He was a GT legacy.

CoolHandluq

Georgia Tech Fan
We also didnt recruit Carl...til very late..one of my gripes with this staff. Side note if Ted Roof had been named the coordinator one year earlier we probably would have landed Carl

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Is his the guy that committed to Alabama after getting a huge auburn tattoo and then ended up going back to auburn. Y’all SERIOUSLY think we could have gotten him?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Chuck Oliver loves Auburn, loves the SEC....but he loves AU most of all, so it makes sense he'd be focused on them in his show.
I'm pretty sure Oliver went there and he may have played there for a minute. I recall this from when he first came on the radio scene after deciding teaching middle schoolers in Gwinnett County where he himself went to HS wasn't his thing.