Lipreader

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
There is a thing about fairy tales and once upon a time ... it is entirely possible to anticipate a play, or to play good defense, hold your ground, and make a great play. But what was he gonna read? "T right X flop A gap"? And that tells him ... what? No. He didn't read lips. (The play was from HS. As I struggle to remember it I think it had to do with the left tackle or left guard pulling and trapping on the right while the guard and tackle on that side cross blocked and one of the backs got a handoff looking for a hole there while the FB led him through blocking the first man he saw. I think. We didn't run it any better than we remembered it.
You are wrong. It did happen! Not when CPJ was here, but a LONG time ago!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
A GT grad student that was a Dook grad stole our signals and gave them to the Dook coaching staff. It was either Ross or OLeary time frame. Grad students used to sit in upper east on about the 30 and this person had a lot of FB knowledge. Obviously we used the same signals every game.

You don't need to be a lip reader to defend our passing. Just assume our WRs are gonna run Post Bomb patterns and cover the A-Back running a wheel route and you've got our "passing game" figured out.

Don't worry about sideline outs, crossing routes, quick slants, WR screens, etc.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
You don't need a lip reader to know what we are going to do when CPJ is calling the plays. We are very predicable this year. We win plays on execution, not surprise.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I bet the coaches don’t even address it in practice.

They dont know is my assumption. Its a tell that u can only get on d lined up. If our d doesnt or hasnt picked it up we wouldnt know. We should know this. We should have addressed. But i dont think our d is scouting our O for tells. I know we self scout on film. All 11 would never pick this up. Its only close to his eyes

Info came from opposing coach after in game adjustments due to this tell.

I will say no more

Milwaukee

Banned
They dont know is my assumption. Its a tell that u can only get on d lined up. If our d doesnt or hasnt picked it up we wouldnt know. We should know this. We should have addressed. But i dont think our d is scouting our O for tells. I know we self scout on film. All 11 would never pick this up. Its only close to his eyes

I will say no more

My uncle was there, he heard it too. It was serious business fellas, real inside football type of stuff. I swear to God.

But I will say no more.

Clown

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You don't need to be a lip reader to defend our passing. Just assume our WRs are gonna run Post Bomb patterns and cover the A-Back running a wheel route and you've got our "passing game" figured out.

Don't worry about sideline outs, crossing routes, quick slants, WR screens, etc.
From someone who does not pretend to grasp Johnson's offense, but: you would do well to to watch carefully what Johnson is doing to set up his fly routes -- to get a Tech receiver one-on-one downfield to make a play -- when the safeties and corners start cheating up and skating to the edge. It is not the let's-take-a-wild-shot offense. It is called run and shoot and it is purposeful. And we hardly ever run a wheel route from what I've seen. But when we do, it tends to hit big. And we've seen the rest, but apparently not in the volume you want. As my mother once said about religion -- it ain't the religion; it's the religious -- in our case it ain't the passing, but the passer.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

I will say no more
An old newspaper banner from the turn of the 1900s reported "Interesting if true" to late telegraph news. What is true with an option offense is that the QB is constantly looking to see if the D has jumped and changed the count and thus he must adapt, what this inside information from an opposing coach is a common staple of scouting and game film study. The problem seems to be that somebody wants simple solutions and presto! this fixes it. I mean, really, if you want to hammer the coaches -- they get paid plenty for that and get no pass from me -- at least give Candeto credit for playing the position well at the Naval Academy for two years and a bowl game. I mean, really. Smart enough for the Naval Academy, but too stupid to coach his old position.