Linebacker Grades

Techster

Helluva Engineer
How do you justify “tackles” as a measure of production? If a guy makes you miss and gets a first down and you still get him by the ankles 7 yards downfield, is that production? It’d be one thing if they were flying around the field making tackles. A tackle must occur in essentially every play that doesn’t result in a score, so I just don’t understand how tackles is a positive stat for anyone playing on bad defense.

Now if there was a stat that said “tackles at an average of X yards past the line of scrimmage” then I’d be on board with that. These two guys play more snaps than most linebackers in the country, and offenses sustain drives against us. Of course they’re going to make a bunch of tackles.

"tackles" is LITERALLY a measure of production. How many LBs in the past have we had that were on the field the vast majority of defensive snaps but never registered that many tackles. You don't have to go too far back to find the answer to that. I get what you're saying that tackles shouldn't be the only measure of a LB, but at the rate our LBs are making tackles you can't ignore it either.

My point is, unless you know a player's assignment on a given play, it's hard to grade them. Obviously there are some plays where a LB makes an obvious bad run fit, or doesn't seal his gap, or a RB blows by him in coverage and it's easy to see it was on them. Most of the time, you won't know unless a coach tells you it was bad play by the LB.

IMO, Quez Jackson isn't perfect, but he's probably been our best LB we've had at GT for a long time now. Can he improve? YES...but that goes for the entirety of our defense right now.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
DL can make LB job much easier via disruption, holding point of attack, narrowing run fits, occupying extra blockers in pass pro. Makes it easier to navigate trash and get to the football. Watch Georgia's defense.

Problem with our OL and DL transfers has been injuries/not playing (AC Clayton, K. Kirby, Keion White, Pendley). White finally played vs Miami but looks rusty and appears to be still building strength/stamina/flexibility from broken leg. Preseason we were counting on those guys to bolster the trenches. Hasn't happened.

There is some hope for the future. Makius Scott has played reasonably for his age and lack of experience. Biggers is promising, got 3 blue chip DT prospects verballed. DE recruiting has been good and DE will solidify with their age and experience. I see DE coming around before DT. Seems like it's taken longer to build relationships to bring in stud DTs. Competition for blue chip DTs is fierce as they are game changers.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Just to note: The unofficial record in the NFL for tackles by a linebacker in a season is 296 by Tommy Nobis in 1966. It's unofficial because records of such were not officially compiled until around 2000, amazingly. 296 is about twice what the usual league leader gets, and Nobis did it in a 14-game season. He averaged over 20 tackles a game. That's what happens when you have a great linebacker on an otherwise sorry defense.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not sure what all goes into grading the LBs. Based on stats like the one below and the eye test I would think Quez would grade out better but...what do I know. If memory serves Quez was responsible for at least one of the big 4th down stops this past weekend. If not both.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I am ready to see Frank's and Meiguez (I know he is injured)

Maybe we were too hard on Curry, after all?

No lol

LB is in a bad spot. Only backup you have really is Tatum, who is still learning.

Khaya really isn’t a fit
Franks is recovering from injury but very for thin
Meiguez is OFS
Knight is really not upgrade of what you have

Imo this has been the most disappointing position overall both recruiting and on field product.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
No lol

LB is in a bad spot. Only backup you have really is Tatum, who is still learning.

Khaya really isn’t a fit
Meiguez is OFS

Imo this has been the most disappointing position overall both recruiting and on field product.

Only one committed for next year too

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure what all goes into grading the LBs. Based on stats like the one below and the eye test I would think Quez would grade out better but...what do I know. If memory serves Quez was responsible for at least one of the big 4th down stops this past weekend. If not both.

Goes to my point, PFF grades are a good measure, but they are not the ultimate measure. Jackson is a good LB for us. You can nitpick his play to death and find faults, but you can do that with most players.

Right now, he's our most consistent player on defense. May not say much about our defense, but that's not on Jackson.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If Quez and Eley are making lots of tackles then to me that means they are handling one aspect of their jobs pretty damn well, if our safeties were leading the team in tackles then that would indicate a real problem and i would prob blame that on the LB’s. Where our lb guys struggle hard is pass coverage and pass rushing

stech81

Helluva Engineer
No lol

Khaya really isn’t a fit
Meiguez is OFS

Well that ain't good you would be the one to know having played LB.
Hey maybe you could call CGC and coach the LB's , no don't we like you and then would have to talk about you :)

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for that, 4ever.

This is not directed at you…So only 12-18 ”senior analysts” are making the final evaluations of how many plays each week by how many players and are apparently responsible for grading how many players?
That analyst number is for the NFL. PFF employs many more analysts for college football. So there’s 1 analyst dedicated to GT for the entire season and then I think 2 others will subsequently grade the same game, after every game, so the grades aren’t just based off one set of eyes.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Right now, he's our most consistent player on defense. May not say much about our defense, but that's not on Jackson.
Quez Jackson more consistent than Charlie Thomas, Dijmon Brooks, or Jared Ivey? Not sure I’m seeing the same.

Someone pointed out in this thread how Jackson’s got 11 stops which is near the top in the conference. He’s played 613 snaps and our D is always on the field, I’m not overly excited about 11 stops. To me, him getting targeted 19 times in coverage and giving up 17 receptions for over 180 is the issue. And for Eley, he’s been targeted 18 times, giving up 17 receptions for 150 yards and two TDs. Neither has broken up a pass this season, and they’ve combined for 25 missed tackles (which is honestly lower than I was expecting). Think about that — they’ve been targeted 36 times and have given up 34 receptions without a single pass break up.

The only player on our defense graded lower than Jackson and Eley this season is Derrik Allen.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If your SS and FS have a ton of tackles, that's really bad. I'd rather our DE's and LB's have the majority of tackles, followed by interior linemen. SS and FS next, and DB's last.
I could see the LB's having the most but the others it would depend on the defense called assignments on said defense.