Linebacker Grades

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
For those curious, here’s what PFF’s public site says about how they treat plays where it’s not obvious what the assignments are:

“We are certainly not in the huddle, but we are grading what a player attempts to do on a given play. While football is extremely nuanced regarding the preparation and adjustments that go into each play call, once the ball is snapped, most players are clear in what they’re trying to accomplish on each play, and we evaluate accordingly. Of course, there are always some gray areas in football. Plays in which there is a clear question mark regarding assignment, we can defer to a “0” grade and not guess as to which player is right or wrong. These plays are few and far between and since we are grading every snap, missing out on a handful throughout the year should not affect player evaluations. Examples of potential gray areas include coverage busts, quarterback/wide receiver miscommunications and missed blocking assignments.”

GT33

Helluva Engineer
For those curious, here’s what PFF’s public site says about how they treat plays where it’s not obvious what the assignments are:

“We are certainly not in the huddle, but we are grading what a player attempts to do on a given play. While football is extremely nuanced regarding the preparation and adjustments that go into each play call, once the ball is snapped, most players are clear in what they’re trying to accomplish on each play, and we evaluate accordingly. Of course, there are always some gray areas in football. Plays in which there is a clear question mark regarding assignment, we can defer to a “0” grade and not guess as to which player is right or wrong. These plays are few and far between and since we are grading every snap, missing out on a handful throughout the year should not affect player evaluations. Examples of potential gray areas include coverage busts, quarterback/wide receiver miscommunications and missed blocking assignments.”
These plays are few and far between and since we are grading every snap, missing out on a handful throughout the year should not affect player evaluations. Examples of potential gray areas include coverage busts

Sadly, they must not be referring to many of our games.

On the question of replacements, the transfer lost his spot in the rotation at his last place. Now he's 571/580. I'm wondering what we were looking at when we decided he was going to be an upgrade? Seems to me like a huge whiff. I sorta remember tweets or stuff like that hyping his game. Is our staff is so far off the mark in LB talent assessments, makes you wonder what other areas we're lacking as well. Systemic issue or a one off?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Its easy to complain but looking at highlites and there on 2 straight uM plays #10 missed the tackle .The DL is not good but the LBs can be better for sure..

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Anyone who watched Keith Brooking at the end of his Falcons career knows the dude was a tackling machine, 8 yards past the line of scrimmage. Pretty sure if you’re a linebacker on a horrible D that gives up a bunch of yards, racking up a bunch of tackles (not sacks or TFLs) isn’t really a good thing.

Same for Tommy Nobis. Played on an inexperienced and poor team and made a lot of tackles after large gains.

slugboy

Staff member
I don’t know what the DL grades are. It’s tough to comment on that without knowing. I can get stats. We’re getting 17.5 tackles for loss from the LB position, and we’re getting 22 TFL from the DL. The DL has 8.5 sacks and we have 4.5 from the LB position and 3 from the DBs. We’re rotating DL a lot more than LB. I’d usually expect to see more havoc coming from the LBs.

For Eley, he’d been an honorable mention for the All-B1G team in 2019. In 2020, he got recruited over by a new coach. If I recall correctly, he’d been playing WILL LB, and we moved him to Curry’s MIKE position. I’d hope the position change wouldn’t hurt too much, but maybe it did.

I saw him appear to miss a couple of tackles in the Miami game too. I’m not sure if he missed his assignment or someone else did—I never played LB—but it looked to me like it was his gap to fill.

I’d like to be able to put my fingers on the issues, but it looks like we’re having them all over. I know the DB positions better, and we’ve been having assignment and communication problems there for a while (“he’s yours; wait, what do you mean he’s mine?”).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Quez Jackson more consistent than Charlie Thomas, Dijmon Brooks, or Jared Ivey? Not sure I’m seeing the same.

Someone pointed out in this thread how Jackson’s got 11 stops which is near the top in the conference. He’s played 613 snaps and our D is always on the field, I’m not overly excited about 11 stops. To me, him getting targeted 19 times in coverage and giving up 17 receptions for over 180 is the issue. And for Eley, he’s been targeted 18 times, giving up 17 receptions for 150 yards and two TDs. Neither has broken up a pass this season, and they’ve combined for 25 missed tackles (which is honestly lower than I was expecting). Think about that — they’ve been targeted 36 times and have given up 34 receptions without a single pass break up.

The only player on our defense graded lower than Jackson and Eley this season is Derrik Allen.

Yes, Quez Jackson is MUCH more consistent than the players you've named. Charlie Thomas has had some MONSTER games...games where if he had that consistency in every game he'd be a high round draft pick. Unfortunately, there have be some games, and stretches within games where you don't even notice he's on the field. You seem to be applying two different sets of standards for Thomas and Jackson. If Quez Jackson is playing 613 snaps, and if Thomas is "more consistent" as you seem to claim, why isn't he putting up similar numbers to Jackson? The fact is, there are certain circumstances the staff doesn't have Thomas on the field, and there are stretches where Thomas just doesn't produce. BTW...those aren't just 11 "stops"...those are 11 tackles for losses or no gain. There's a difference.

Jared Ivy, IMO, is probably the player with one of the highest ceilings not only on our defense, but maybe our entire team. His physical attributes and abilities will payoff BIG TIME in the coming years. Right now, he gets knocked off the ball more than you'd like, but that's because he's not physically mature to play such a physically demanding position. He's going against guys that are 6'5-6'7+ and 320+ lbs that can move. Once he gets stronger, he's going to be an absolute killer for us. Right now, it's a baptism by fire for him.

Djimon Brooks probably has one of the best motors on our team, and he plays with a nastiness I wish all of our guys had. Unfortunately, when you watch his snaps, he does tend to get outmuscled on the interior because he's undersized. You have to give him credit though, he was instrumental on those 4th down stops against Miami.

Listen, I respect PFF, and I often refer to them in this forum. But they are not the end all. The fact is, Jackson is one of the most productive LBs in the country. Production may not fit your narrative, but when you put players on the field, they either produce or they don't. Jackson produces.