Lets talk BYU

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
How do you feel about the game this week?

Kyle Van Noy is a monster at LB...Hill is a good runner at QB and they are a run first team.

I will be looking to see how GT comes out. What emotion we show.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Completely agree. I've watched the better part of two different BYU games this year (vs. Texas and vs. Utah) -
1) Van Noy looks like an NFL linebacker physically and with what he's done on the field
2) Without question GT's emotion/motivation is the X factor. Coming out fired up won't guarantee a win, but if we can avoid the post-Miami letdown that hit us a year ago then we can play with those old guys.

I'm no football expert but our defensive gameplan seems straightforward (tell me when this starts to sound familiar)... Sell out to stop the run and force Hill to beat us with his arm. Hill and Williams are big athletes and extremely tough to tackle. The issue will be magnified if we are consistently trying to tackle them in open space. If we don't stop those two on the ground then it's game over... our O will not keep up.

If we stuff the run then I like our chances. BYU is not impressive throwing the ball around. Hill has had moments of brilliance throwing but it hasn't been there consistently for 60 minutes. If BYU beats us by being one-dimensional/throwing then that will mean one of two things - 1) Hill had a game above and beyond what he's normally capable of, or 2) Our pass coverage and secondary is a complete mess. I'm willing to take our chances here, and it would shock me if our coaches don't prepare the same way. Easier said than done though.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Toss up, BYU this year isn't the same team as last year. They are not consistent, and I think even with our problems we have a real chance to win.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm not real confident, but frankly I haven't been real confident since the Duke game. For whatever reason, we haven't been playing focused complete games on offense. I will say that I think that this game is crucial. If we can come out and win convincingly, I think we set ourselves up well to the Syracuse, Pitt, UVA run to the bye week. If we lose badly, it could get ugly.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Should be a lot of 8 man boxes and run blitzes. From the games I watched, BYU is a heavy diamond/ pistol team and the QB has an erratic arm. If we don't do a better job of wrapping up and tackling it could get ugly.

On offense, if we let one guy, Van Noy, have his way then we don't deserve to win. That is one of the great things about the options, it can neutralize your best player. We have to bring our Miami 1st qtr performance and stretch it out for a full game. Also, I want to see more of our big Abacks getting the ball this week. Thoroughly enjoyed seeing CPerk with the ball in his hands

I see 28-21 GT

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not real confident, but frankly I haven't been real confident since the Duke game. For whatever reason, we haven't been playing focused complete games on offense. I will say that I think that this game is crucial. If we can come out and win convincingly, I think we set ourselves up well to the Syracuse, Pitt, UVA run to the bye week. If we lose badly, it could get ugly.
If we lose badly, it could be the beginning of the end for a few different people

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Should be a lot of 8 man boxes and run blitzes. From the games I watched, BYU is a heavy diamond/ pistol team and the QB has an erratic arm. If we don't do a better job of wrapping up and tackling it could get ugly.

On offense, if we let one guy, Van Noy, have his way then we don't deserve to win. That is one of the great things about the options, it can neutralize your best player. We have to bring our Miami 1st qtr performance and stretch it out for a full game. Also, I want to see more of our big Abacks getting the ball this week. Thoroughly enjoyed seeing CPerk with the ball in his hands

I see 28-21 GT
I foresee BYU attempting to use Van Noy in the same way that VPI used Kyle Fuller. If we can't adjust and make him a non-factor, it's going to be a long day

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I foresee BYU attempting to use Van Noy in the same way that VPI used Kyle Fuller. If we can't adjust and make him a non-factor, it's going to be a long day

Ehh... Maybe but I would limit my best player like that. You can use any backup Safety or LB for that role

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
BYU whoop us a year ago, but they are not that athletic. Van Noy is prob the only person who could start on Miami's defense. Not real sure about there offensive line, Apo would prob start at WR for them. We honestly should beat them by atleast 2 Tds. They are very fundemental. I say we come out with a chip on our shoulder. 35-17 good guys

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
I highly doubt there are many guys/gals employed by Rivals/Scout/.247/etc etc who follow Utah high school football. I'm sure there are many recruits in Utah who are underrated who go unnoticed by the rating services especially the players who don't attend football camps and what not. Another thing to consider is that some kids commit really early to BYU because they already know they want to go to BYU since their faith has close ties to the school so rating services might not evaluate them much or other schools might not recruit them as heavily.

Also, I think CPJ mentioned this last year, they (BYU team) are usually a much older crowd of players than your usual football team since many of the players have gone on a two year mission so you have 20 year olds to 24 year old players on the BYU team competing typically against 17 to 22 year old players. I think that makes a difference as well in terms of physical and emotional maturity.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
I like GTs chances and think they win. Injuries have hurt the team bigtime this year but I do not think this BYU team is as good as last years.

I am glad their defensive end is gone.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
BYU will bring their 23-24 year-old husbands/fathers in and try to impose their will on our wavering bunch. If we can withstand the onslaught it will bode well for the rest of the season.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I highly doubt there are many guys/gals employed by Rivals/Scout/.247/etc etc who follow Utah high school football. I'm sure there are many recruits in Utah who are underrated who go unnoticed by the rating services especially the players who don't attend football camps and what not. Another thing to consider is that some kids commit really early to BYU because they already know they want to go to BYU since their faith has close ties to the school so rating services might not evaluate them much or other schools might not recruit them as heavily.

Also, I think CPJ mentioned this last year, they (BYU team) are usually a much older crowd of players than your usual football team since many of the players have gone on a two year mission so you have 20 year olds to 24 year old players on the BYU team competing typically against 17 to 22 year old players. I think that makes a difference as well in terms of physical and emotional maturity.
Good point

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Everybody wants to talk about recruiting and stars. Main reason we lose is because we can't recruit. We out recruit BYU every year, why should they kill us?

This is the reason...