Let's Talk About Bourbon

LibertyTurns

Banned
Meant what are the good, not great, bourbons?
A good bourbon is bought for you by someone else. Not great ones are usually bought for people you dislike at work but get caught at the bar with or that annoying relative you can’t shake.

My advice is to go to every single distillery you can muster and drink as many bourbons as you can. You’ll know what you like after you’ve drunk it.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
A good bourbon is bought for you by someone else. Not great ones are usually bought for people you dislike at work but get caught at the bar with or that annoying relative you can’t shake.

My advice is to go to every single distillery you can muster and drink as many bourbons as you can. You’ll know what you like after you’ve drunk it.
Thanks for the advice! I like Angels Envy and The Burning Chair.

LibertyTurns

Banned
@gtie73 Of course GT introduced me to bourbon as I was solely a beer drinker at that point. Bourbon fell into disfavor with me over time because I was drinking popular stuff that I really didn’t like. It wasn’t until about 15 years ago visiting a friend that had some good bourbon that I realized there’s many different variants. It runs the gamut of low priced and good through high priced and not worth it. Also there’s major differences between what you get in Ireland than what you get in Louisville. I’m sure you’ll find your niche but for me it took some time to learn and it has been all trial and error. The more you try the faster the journey.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
@gtie73 Of course GT introduced me to bourbon as I was solely a beer drinker at that point. Bourbon fell into disfavor with me over time because I was drinking popular stuff that I really didn’t like. It wasn’t until about 15 years ago visiting a friend that had some good bourbon that I realized there’s many different variants. It runs the gamut of low priced and good through high priced and not worth it. Also there’s major differences between what you get in Ireland than what you get in Louisville. I’m sure you’ll find your niche but for me it took some time to learn and it has been all trial and error. The more you try the faster the journey.

I just got into bourbons and whiskies a few years ago. The saying, "Don't focus on the destination, enjoy the journey" definitely applies to finding what you like in the bourbon and whiskey world.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I have heard so much about the Lagavulin that maybe it was a bit of a letdown when I tried it at a friend's house recently as it is so highly praised/recommended. A much less publicized Islay that may be my favorite is Caol Ila. Ledaig 10 yo is also a good one for the smoke/peat taste.
I haven't had the Lagavulin but likewise read good things about it. I had one of those Islay's (my very first Islay) at Baraonda after a football game one evening and I kinda' liked everything about it but the iodine taste. I've been trying other Islay and want to find good smoke, peat, brine but without the iodine. I might try the Ledaig and caol Ila

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Here's what I say about bourbon...a good bourbon is one that you enjoy drinking. Even if it's really expensive, if you don't enjoy it, it's not "good" to you.

If you're only in Louisville, there are some great distillery experiences. See some of the information above. If it were me and I were limited in time, I'd go to Peerless and Rabbit Hole. They're both micro-distilleries that have made a big name for themselves. Rabbit Hole was purchased, but still have to original owners involved, and Peerless makes some of the best young product on the market.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks for the advice! I like Angels Envy and The Burning Chair
I used to travel and work globally. My wife and I met in Scotland . Went to pitlochory at the foot of the Highlands. Ran into a small distillery ( smallest in Scotland) called edradour. Single malt, no peat. That the only scotch I’ve liked. As noted before, I’m more of a lightweight scotch and bourbon drinker.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I used to travel and work globally. My wife and I met in Scotland . Went to pitlochory at the foot of the Highlands. Ran into a small distillery ( smallest in Scotland) called edradour. Single malt, no peat. That the only scotch I’ve liked. As noted before, I’m more of a lightweight scotch and bourbon drinker.
If you consider yourself a lightweight scotch and bourbon drinker, you should drink triple distilled Irish Whiskey. It is much more delicate than either of the other two offerings. I'm Irish and love good Irish whiskey, so no trolls.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
If you consider yourself a lightweight scotch and bourbon drinker, you should drink triple distilled Irish Whiskey. It is much more delicate than either of the other two offerings. I'm Irish and love good Irish whiskey, so no trolls.
Thanks for the help! What are some brand names?

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer

But unfortunately the next day you won’t remember what your favorites were...

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
Meant what are the good, not great, bourbons?
Depends on how much you want to spend and your personal taste. For my personal taste -
<$30 - Evan Williams Single Barrel or Benchmark #8 (both are sneaky good for the price)
$30ish - Green label Weller's, Maker's Mark 46, Knob Creek 9 Year single Barrel Reserve, Buffalo Trace (may be more expensive depending on location)
$60ish - Old Forester Statesman, Wild Turkey Maker's Keep, Heaven Hill Bottled-In-Bond (not the original label Heaven Hill), Angel's Envy
>$60 - Blanton's, EH Taylor

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Very Old Barton 86 is a great low end value for mixed cocktails.
I find 86 proof doesn't hold up to most whiskey cocktails, you lose the taste of the bourbon. If I make cocktails from VOB, it's the BiB version.

To me, the 86 proof is like drinking water even when served neat. That being said, I usually like to sip my barrel strength bourbons neat. I recently was talking to a friend in London and the first 5 bottles I pulled from the cabinet were all over 135 proof, so maybe I just don't have any tastebuds left.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Trial and error is the best way to drink bourbon.