Stats Let's take a look at #VTvsGT

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
.......Special teams are mostly hidden from the above. VT is certainly better at this phase of the game, a phase that amounts to ~18% of total plays per a previous @GTNavyNuke analysis last year (by the way, thanks for not posting those this year).

No problem, I stopped doing play by play analysis of ST part way through the season when it got too revolting to relive each play. And I have no intention of starting again. Our ST @ 106 of 130 is about right. Revolting except for punting. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feist

If the VT game is close, we'll not win another which we would have won in previous year's with better ST. (Note I didn't say we'd lose because of ST, it's a team loss......... )

Note VT is #9 is ST. Oh well, changing coaches probably wouldn't do any good but probably wouldn't hurt overall either. We just aren't relevant in football anymore.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
No problem, I stopped doing play by play analysis of ST part way through the season when it got too revolting to relive each play. And I have no intention of starting again. Our ST @ 106 of 130 is about right. Revolting except for punting. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feist

If the VT game is close, we'll not win another which we would have won in previous year's with better ST. (Note I didn't say we'd lose because of ST, it's a team loss......... )

Note VT is #9 is ST. Oh well, changing coaches probably wouldn't do any good but probably wouldn't hurt overall either. We just aren't relevant in football anymore.
This year irrelevant is not where we are, but it is a short walk down lowered expectation drive for 17.

Guys can do it if we get some early play calls .
Against bud foster the slow r .g. and rt pull will again be run down. I expect no defender to be near shamire again this week. Got to find way to UTM
Time for a uturn

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think trending is also important. I believe our offense in particular is trending down. VPI&SU has always given us trouble with their defense, even when we are good offensively. They fire in the gaps and attack our offense which often confuses us and forces bad decisions, especially for inexperienced players (QB). With no passing game, I am expecting a terrible offensive performance...maybe somewhere slightly better than Clemson but about like Miami.
We're #3 in the country in rushing offense and way up on a dry field. Since the deal with our offense is to stop the run, I don't see a trend showing that other teams have "figured us out" or, except for Clemson, out talented us. I might also point out that last year we averaged 258 yards a game rushing the ball, 73 yards less per game. Oh, and our total offense this year is 415 yards per game, 28 ypg more then 2016 (387). It would be nice if we could get our passing stats up, but we didn't need to pass much to beat these people last year.

So, no, I don't see any trends here. We're doing just fine and comparable to years in the past, except for 2014 (you can check at ramblingwreck).

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Oh, and one more thing.

JT put up 180 yards per game in 2016. TM is averaging 192 as of today.

In short, he's actually doing better then I thought.

Jmonty71

Banned
My initial conclusions
  • There is not much separation between GT's O&D vs. VT's O&D across these two highlight games.
  • Given GT's O&D performance against the two highlight teams, my take on the differences between the two teams this year is the following
    • Our two additional losses (TN, UVA) prove we are more inconsistent. VT has beaten who they should with 2 better wins than any on GT's resume. They deserve their top 25 ranking. Even had we beaten TN and @ UVA, VT still has a better two wins, imo.
    • Special teams are mostly hidden from the above. VT is certainly better at this phase of the game, a phase that amounts to ~18% of total plays per a previous @GTNavyNuke analysis last year (by the way, thanks for not posting those this year).
Of course there are other differences not mentioned above e.g., weather circumstances, injuries, etc.

So, how do you think the two teams stack up head-to-head?[/QUOTE]

The match up is going to be our D vs. their O.

We already know we are going to struggle. We already know that points will be a premium. Can our D force FG tries, instead of TDs? Can we get the late game stops, when most needed. Those are the questions, to be answered. I am going with us losing to VT, giving up another late TD, in the 4th. 24-20

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Oh, and one more thing.

JT put up 180 yards per game in 2016. TM is averaging 192 as of today.

In short, he's actually doing better then I thought.
JT had 137 Rushing attempts last year (11.4 attempts per game). TM already has 188 through 8 games (23.5 attempts per game). That is the reason TM is ahead of JT. JT got the ball in other people's hands a lot more.

I love TM, but he is a first year QB in the system and it's showing.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
JT had 137 Rushing attempts last year (11.4 attempts per game). TM already has 188 through 8 games (23.5 attempts per game). That is the reason TM is ahead of JT. JT got the ball in other people's hands a lot more.

I love TM, but he is a first year QB in the system and it's showing.

The real stat to look at is yards per carry (ypc). JT averaged 4.4 ypc in 2016. TQM is averaging 4.6 ypc so far in 2017, including the duds against Jax St (1.9 ypc), Miami (0.9 ypc), and Clemson (1.5 ypc). I wouldn't say TQM is currently better than JeT, but I don't think the dropoff is steep, and with time, will most likely well exceed JeT in the rushing game.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Taquon gets his average up from his occasional long runs, which are awesome of course but the rest of the time he's being mostly contained