Let's not forget about Robert Sampson

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
If Mitchell gets to play this season, he and Sampson puts the 4 spot is in pretty good hands. (Now watch Coach move one of them.)

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I like the fact about him blocking more shots than Miller in practices. I hope that will transfer on the floor. Also, he feeds off the crowd. He needs to keep his confidence up when the chips are down, more playing time should do that.

@collegeballfan you made me spit my drink reading about our coach. I don't mind about rotating spots as long as it doesn't affect the chemistry.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I remember a comment on his arriving that he wanted "to develop his outside game". With the 3 hulks inside,my guess is he will float to the 3 line-it not like we had such good shooting there last yr

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I remember a comment on his arriving that he wanted "to develop his outside game". With the 3 hulks inside,my guess is he will float to the 3 line-it not like we had such good shooting there last yr

I believe this is accurate, but my impression is that he's more likely to do as instructed, so maybe open midrange shots, than floating out to the 3 as much.

It's one thing to put up the occasional 3 as a big man, but Carter definitely fell in love with it during some games. Sometimes to our benefit, sometimes not.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
i like the make up of our team now. we have players that want to be here is a big plus in my opinion. unlike before i cant think of a player off hand that would complain about helping the team in any way they can.

as with most of you.... i feel that chemistry will be an issue early on.

how does our early schedule stack up ? is it favorable to our learning on the job ?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
i like the make up of our team now. we have players that want to be here is a big plus in my opinion. unlike before i cant think of a player off hand that would complain about helping the team in any way they can.

as with most of you.... i feel that chemistry will be an issue early on.

how does our early schedule stack up ? is it favorable to our learning on the job ?
If favorable to our learning on the job requires a trial by fire followed by drinking from the fire hose, then yes.

Open with UGA. Known OOC opponents are at Dayton, Vandy & Charlotte at home. Orlando tourney has Michigan State, Kansas, Tennessee, Marquette, Santa Clara, Rhode Island, & Rider.

We could end up with a very stacked OOC schedule.

That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Do we play zone? Ill tell ya........I think we can be effective. The TJs out front and a back line of Q/MGH, Lammers and Sampson. That's some serious help side shot blocking especially with Q in the game.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I believe this is accurate, but my impression is that he's more likely to do as instructed, so maybe open midrange shots, than floating out to the 3 as much.

It's one thing to put up the occasional 3 as a big man, but Carter definitely fell in love with it during some games. Sometimes to our benefit, sometimes not.

at 24% mostly not

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@gtpi - fair point. A few clutch 3s here & there, but when he fell in love with that 3pt shot, it didn't often bode well.

@Peacone36 - tend to agree that a zone could be more effective, we'll still have an effecive inside presence to clean things up and Tadric will be a defensive upgrade over Bolden.

Really thought his mentality would be different, but after last year, I feel like the more mental pressure we can relieve from Bolden, the more he'll thrive and I do still believe he can perform a very good role for us.

William S. Baker

Georgia Tech Fan
I think this team will do better simply because they will be healthy. The only player who was not hurt last year was Miller, who then had to be the strength of the team. Carter was out a good part of the season, Golden was at half speed (his back up out for the season), Holsey was hurt... If you take three main players out of any team, they are going to struggle.
The flexibility of our team is huge.
I have been charting the other ACC teams returning players and recruits and have to admit that the other teams are improving as well.