Lets look at what the 2020 covid season did to football

stech81

Helluva Engineer
How bad did the 2020 covid season mess things up in this football season I'll list a few you may agree and may please not add others

1) Teams we didn't count on being that good but were ( Pitt) due to covid and the NCAA giving all players a free year, This really didn't help us cause we had so many under classmen. But look at a Pitt how many of their players were 6 and so 7 year seniors. were there other teams like Pitt with that many.

2) This may make the 2022 season something to watch , The NCAA giving Players the right to enter the Portal without having to wait and sit out a year. I really haven't looked at the other teams so I don't know who this helped this

3) Now this is one I think hurt Tech, holding attendance down to 20%. I think this also hurt Tech fans lost interest in coming to games and started finding other things to do on Saturday and some thought hell it's easier to just watch the game on TV .

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
How bad did the 2020 covid season mess things up in this football season I'll list a few you may agree and may please not add others

1) Teams we didn't count on being that good but were ( Pitt) due to covid and the NCAA giving all players a free year, This really didn't help us cause we had so many under classmen. But look at a Pitt how many of their players were 6 and so 7 year seniors. were there other teams like Pitt with that many.

2) This may make the 2022 season something to watch , The NCAA giving Players the right to enter the Portal without having to wait and sit out a year. I really haven't looked at the other teams so I don't know who this helped this

3) Now this is one I think hurt Tech, holding attendance down to 20%. I think this also hurt Tech fans lost interest in coming to games and started finding other things to do on Saturday and some thought hell it's easier to just watch the game on TV .

This is a good take. I am sure that it impacted football in other ways, but these three are definite.

1) A free year only helps old teams get older, especially if they can convince a large number of their contributing upperclassmen to stay. FWIW, I never thought Pitt was gonna be an easy out for us. They have good players and are well coached. Giving them a COVID year only makes them better.

2) This, IMO, cost us Gibbs. If he had to sit a year, he likely stays one more year before declaring for the draft. Having a free transfer gives him an opportunity to chase bigger dreams without penalty. (I will add, as much as it cost us Gibbs, I still agree with players getting a one time free transfer)

3) The long term implications of this are something I don't think we've begun to unpack yet. I do believe that a lot of fans used the opportunity to transition more to TV fans vs. attending fans. GTs trendline downward has remained pretty steady for the last 6-7 years, but I am betting it's a bit sharper at other ACC schools this year.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Not sure but with the NCAA giving players a free and being able to go over the 85 this year and my understanding is now it goes back to 85 there may be lots of players that went in the Portal that will fine out their college days are over. ( Maybe the freshman and sophomores would be better waiting another year and see how the 85 rule will work after this coming season)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have wondered especially how it impacted Alabama. 2020 was perhaps their easiest path to a championship ever. 2021 looks like they are finally mortal again and definitely having a down year -for them. Lots of variables in their case but haven’t looked closely at them.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I have wondered especially how it impacted Alabama. 2020 was perhaps their easiest path to a championship ever. 2021 looks like they are finally mortal again and definitely having a down year -for them. Lots of variables in their case but haven’t looked closely at them.
I don't watch Alabama but I would guess they lost a lot of players in the draft and didn't have any 5 or 6 year seniors and like us were playing against them.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I don't watch Alabama but I would guess they lost a lot of players in the draft and didn't have any 5 or 6 year seniors and like us were playing against them.

This is kindaa it. They have a Sophmore QB and a only one RS Juniro on the starting O most ar sophmores juniors at best with one year or so starting xp. On defense they only have two starters that are SRs. By comparison UGA's defense is pretty much all RS Jrs SR and RS SEniros which means lot so f super seniors and super juniors.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This is kindaa it. They have a Sophmore QB and a only one RS Juniro on the starting O most ar sophmores juniors at best with one year or so starting xp. On defense they only have two starters that are SRs. By comparison UGA's defense is pretty much all RS Jrs SR and RS SEniros which means lot so f super seniors and super juniors.

The great Alabama teams seem to have an elite QB, RB, WR(s), and DL, with solid kicking, ST(s), and OL. This year they are missing some of those elites. The Ga team is mature, deep, lots of talent with solid coaching, and below average competition from the other powerhouses.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I know nobody on here wants to hear excuses for Collins, and I am as disappointed as anyone about how this year ended...but man....2020 really hurt the football program. We needed a year to build on, get lots of reps, and invest in our young team. Instead we got...hardly any Spring practice, a funky changed schedule, and COVID protocols that hit us hard where we had no depth. I'm not saying this year's failures are all the fault of COVID and the weird 2020 season, but when I step back and think about it, I can certainly see the effect.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

Yes. it gave the older teams a huge advantage.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Yep. We’re still young. No doubt. You could say that we also will be next year. The older transfers we’ve had haven’t necessarily played out either. Who do we have that’s a junior or senior that has made an impact?

Last edited:

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

I’m sure it impacted #1 and #2, but I think the 9 wins in 3 years factor is the biggest cause of #3.

GTBlaze

Banned

GT was the only football team in the history of the United States that had to deal with COVID. Who would have thunk?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
GT was the only football team in the history of the United States that had to deal with COVID. Who would have thunk?
First if you were on more you would know I don't make excuses to cover for CGC ( point blank I DON"T LIKE HIM ) the question was about Covid messing up the football season for anyone.

Jmonty71

Banned
I think anyone blaming COVID for anything is just looking for an easy excuse. COVID is the one "bad guy" most people hates.. So, it's easy to blame COVID on this, that and other. I mean politicians do it, so why not?? However; if COVID was that bad, why hasn't every other team had major issues? In my arena once someone blames COVID for something, they lost whatever point they were trying to make. I work in Supply Chain and Procurement. So, I know COVID did this and that. My question is always this. If X is effected by COVID than are all the variables connected to X effected as well? If the answer is yes, than yeah... COVID. Example. Nitrile Gloves... The price is still 450% above normal. If only 1 or 2 suppliers had that high price and everyone one was way less, they cannot blame their pricing on COVID. If other programs are firing on all cylinders and we aren't, than it's not COVID, to blame. Just my 2 pennies.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Literally no one said that. COVID protocols that were put in place obviously impacted some teams more than others. This was a pretty well reasoned post, considering the OP is known for his snark more than reason (sorry @stech81 ;)), and asked how it affected us vs others.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think anyone blaming COVID for anything is just looking for an easy excuse. COVID is the one "bad guy" most people hates.. So, it's easy to blame COVID on this, that and other. I mean politicians do it, so why not?? However; if COVID was that bad, why hasn't every other team had major issues? In my arena once someone blames COVID for something, they lost whatever point they were trying to make. I work in Supply Chain and Procurement. So, I know COVID did this and that. My question is always this. If X is effected by COVID than are all the variables connected to X effected as well? If the answer is yes, than yeah... COVID. Example. Nitrile Gloves... The price is still 450% above normal. If only 1 or 2 suppliers had that high price and everyone one was way less, they cannot blame their pricing on COVID. If other programs are firing on all cylinders and we aren't, than it's not COVID, to blame. Just my 2 pennies.

Again, that wasn't the premise of this thread. No one is blaming COVID for our issues, but COVID impacts each program differently based on their unique situation prior to the virus.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I'd say Covid actually helped most of the factories more than it hurt. It gave them all a year free to develop people. It hurt rebuilding teams in the short term (but might help them in the long term).