Let's do something different ( Who do you NOT want as a head coach at Tech)

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't want a successful P5 coordinator. Give me someone who has had control of a program before and is experienced. We need to stop the ship from taking on any more water before we set our sights higher

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The GT football head coaching job is one of the more challenging P5 head coaching jobs out there. Others have greater challenges based on unrealistic expectations, see Auburn and Nebraska.

Still GT has some restrictions on who can play as GT isn’t a “normal” college. Toss in we are surrounded by three of the top 5 programs in the Country.

Having prior HC experience would be helpful as there are a lot of hurdles facing a first time HC, GT has more than most.

Still lots of great coaches were toiling below the P5 level and became very good P5 HCs. Others were coordinators who stepped up and became very successful P5 HCs.

It’s interesting to speculate. More important is to get behind whoever GT chooses. LNJ rightfully pointed out in a different post GT fans have not been good about that for our last 3 HCs.

Here is to whoever becomes GT’s next Head Football Coach.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Mullen, McGee, Chryst, Petrino, Freeze, Harsin, Edwards, Strong, Meyer, Frost, Fuente, Mendenhall, Mora, Bobo, Malzahn, Helton, McElwain.
Schiano, Satterfield, Fitzgerald, Beamer, Brohm, Monken(s) to name a few..........
Just a few? There are enough names on that list to fill out a starting offense and defense.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't want a controversial hire - no coaches with 'baggage', no 'big names' with question marks, no second chance plays. No Deion, no BOB, no Mullen, no Briles. We don't need a media circus around our hire.

I don't want a CPJ disciple. I LOVED the flexbone offense in it's time here. But college football has changed in ways that would magnify the shortcomings and minimize the advantages.

I don't want a coach without prior coaching experience. No coordinators, position coaches.

Give me a young G5 or FCS head coach with an innovative offense, please.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Can the success of Bobby Cremins tell us anything about hiring a successful coach?

Was that just luck? Or was there something about him (and Coach K who was also a young coach among ACC veterans) that can be observed and sought after?

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
It's just a hybrid. Nothing wrong with a little option. They throw for 285 yards a game.
It's option from the gun, Bob Davies New Mexico style. If you're gonna run the option, run it under center so your RB doesn't have to make up the 5 yards. Hybrid or not, don't want to see this offense. Friedge threw in option here and there (and rocket tosses) and worked wonders when Lil Joe ran it... Would be fine if the option was like that. My opinion of course😉

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It's option from the gun, Bob Davies New Mexico style. If you're gonna run the option, run it under center so your RB doesn't have to make up the 5 yards. Hybrid or not, don't want to see this offense. Friedge threw in option here and there (and rocket tosses) and worked wonders when Lil Joe ran it... Would be fine if the option was like that. My opinion of course😉
I understand.

But my take is that with our offensive line, we need to actually put the QB in shotgun about 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage.
That should give the QB about two-and-a-half seconds to get the ball off before they clobber him. :eek:

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Mullen, McGee, Chryst, Petrino, Freeze, Harsin, Edwards, Strong, Meyer, Frost, Fuente, Mendenhall, Mora, Bobo, Malzahn, Helton, McElwain.
Schiano, Satterfield, Fitzgerald, Beamer, Brohm, Monken(s) to name a few..........
Please god no to all of those.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Matt Canada
Cringe Wince GIF

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I do not want to see a candidate from the outside who is getting consideration only because of a connection to GT. If that person would be considered even without a GT connection that’s fine. For example, if Bill O’Brien gets consideration and it has nothing at all to do with his having been here before then that’s OK (though he isn’t my favorite candidate, but I’m not vehemently against him like I am Marrone).

I will also say I don’t want anything to do with Petrino, anyone in the Briles family, and probably a few more who would be repugnant to even name in connection to GT because of being pathetic human beings.

Other than that I’m pretty open to different options for finding a head coach. I care about getting the right person and not where they came from.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Schiano, Satterfield, Fitzgerald, Beamer, Brohm, Monken(s) to name a few........
I'm assuming you left off Fritz for a reason....right ?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The GT football head coaching job is one of the more challenging P5 head coaching jobs out there. Others have greater challenges based on unrealistic expectations, see Auburn and Nebraska.

Still GT has some restrictions on who can play as GT isn’t a “normal” college. Toss in we are surrounded by three of the top 5 programs in the Country.

Having prior HC experience would be helpful as there are a lot of hurdles facing a first time HC, GT has more than most.

Still lots of great coaches were toiling below the P5 level and became very good P5 HCs. Others were coordinators who stepped up and became very successful P5 HCs.

It’s interesting to speculate. More important is to get behind whoever GT chooses. LNJ rightfully pointed out in a different post GT fans have not been good about that for our last 3 HCs.

Here is to whoever becomes GT’s next Head Football Coach.
Tennessee spent the better part of a decade wandering the wilderness, perhaps that is our fate. I hope not but its possible. Tennessee finally made the right hire as head coach and immediately found a quarterback who could make the offense go. It should not have taken so long given their resources but Tennessee remains a cautionary tale for those who think coaching does not matter.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee spent the better part of a decade wandering the wilderness, perhaps that is our fate. I hope not but its possible. Tennessee finally made the right hire as head coach and immediately found a quarterback who could make the offense go. It should not have taken so long given their resources but Tennessee remains a cautionary tale for those who think coaching does not matter.
Forget a decade. We are in a lost decade right now. I’m worried about a lost 20-30 years. Think of all the schools around us who would love to have had our succeses over the past 30 some years. Bowl streaks, conference champs, orange bowls, and consistency. Look at South Carolina, Arkansas, Ole Miss, all the Carolina schools, Missouri, Maryland, etc. These bigger schools have been wandering for decades with nothing to hang their hat on. Sure, Ole Miss is riding an up swing right now but Kiffen is a hot commodity and will be gone at some point. This next hire will either get us back to the 7-8 win consistency or we’ll drop to the lower tier. We are teetering and could go either way to become a Vandy on one side or 8 win team on the other. I’m very concerned.