Lest ye forget

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
367 days ago, the optimist were predicting 8-4 if everything broke our way. After all, CPJ was on the hot seat. Everyone not named Johnson hated the Triple Option. Our Spring Game attendance was a national laughing stock. Around a dozen players from the spring were no longer on the team including our top recruit and almost all of the DL depth. We had a new starting qb that was smaller than a hobbit and could not possibly stand up to a season's worth of hits. There were three new starters on the OL and not much behind them, a new starter at B Back with no depth behind him, a half dozen also rans at A Back that had never been able to break into the starting lineup, and one reliable WR that was entering his second year after being out of football for three years. And that was the good news about our football team.

Defensively, the previous year had been miserable. The 2014 DLine was one proven player with a strange accent, an oft injured senior that hadn't shown much, an undersized true freshman at one DE, and a question mark at the other end. The best defensive lineman, linebacker, and defensive back from the previous year were in the NFL. Both of our safeties were trying to come back from season ending injuries the previous year. Essentially 7 new starters though a couple of backups had played a lot.

We were coming off a 7-6 season with heart breaking losses in the last two games. We had been physically manhandled in 2TD+ losses to Clemson, Brigham Young, and Miami, and had brainfarted against VT at home on national TV. We were 1-11 against the Big Four the previous three seasons.

And, Oh Yeah, our recruiting sucked. We were barely edging out WF in recruiting rankings for the ACC.

Now, here we are a year later, and we've seemingly made no progress as many are still predicting an 8-4 season. At least that is now the pessimistic prognostication, so I guess that's something.

All joking aside, what a wonderful year it has been as we enter into this next season. We are in the best shape as a program that we have been in for the last quarter century. Those people to the east, I think, are in their worst shape in a dozen years. There is no one on the schedule that is as good as our team. Yes, some of them have better athletes, but the combination of players, coaching, smarts, and schemes on North Avenue right now could possibly be the best in the nation. Last year WAS 1989 all over again.

It makes an old fart giddy just thinking about it. Who are going to be the heroes this year? What game will we win on a miracle? Will my heart last thru a late 4th quarter goal line stand? Will my Clemson friends still be speaking to me on the morning of October 11th? Whiteout. Night games. South Bend. Damn, I'm going to love driving thru the dawg hole towns in South Georgia with GT magnets stuck all over my car all season long. What new Bourbon can I bring to our tailgate? How did I get so lucky as to be a Tech man at this time and place? You young farts don't deserve what you are about to receive.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
TogetherWeSwarm2015.jpg

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
367 days ago, the optimist were predicting 8-4 if everything broke our way. After all, CPJ was on the hot seat. Everyone not named Johnson hated the Triple Option. Our Spring Game attendance was a national laughing stock. Around a dozen players from the spring were no longer on the team including our top recruit and almost all of the DL depth. We had a new starting qb that was smaller than a hobbit and could not possibly stand up to a season's worth of hits. There were three new starters on the OL and not much behind them, a new starter at B Back with no depth behind him, a half dozen also rans at A Back that had never been able to break into the starting lineup, and one reliable WR that was entering his second year after being out of football for three years. And that was the good news about our football team.

Defensively, the previous year had been miserable. The 2014 DLine was one proven player with a strange accent, an oft injured senior that hadn't shown much, an undersized true freshman at one DE, and a question mark at the other end. The best defensive lineman, linebacker, and defensive back from the previous year were in the NFL. Both of our safeties were trying to come back from season ending injuries the previous year. Essentially 7 new starters though a couple of backups had played a lot.

We were coming off a 7-6 season with heart breaking losses in the last two games. We had been physically manhandled in 2TD+ losses to Clemson, Brigham Young, and Miami, and had brainfarted against VT at home on national TV. We were 1-11 against the Big Four the previous three seasons.

And, Oh Yeah, our recruiting sucked. We were barely edging out WF in recruiting rankings for the ACC.

Now, here we are a year later, and we've seemingly made no progress as many are still predicting an 8-4 season. At least that is now the pessimistic prognostication, so I guess that's something.

All joking aside, what a wonderful year it has been as we enter into this next season. We are in the best shape as a program that we have been in for the last quarter century. Those people to the east, I think, are in their worst shape in a dozen years. There is no one on the schedule that is as good as our team. Yes, some of them have better athletes, but the combination of players, coaching, smarts, and schemes on North Avenue right now could possibly be the best in the nation. Last year WAS 1989 all over again.

It makes an old fart giddy just thinking about it. Who are going to be the heroes this year? What game will we win on a miracle? Will my heart last thru a late 4th quarter goal line stand? Will my Clemson friends still be speaking to me on the morning of October 11th? Whiteout. Night games. South Bend. Damn, I'm going to love driving thru the dawg hole towns in South Georgia with GT magnets stuck all over my car all season long. What new Bourbon can I bring to our tailgate? How did I get so lucky as to be a Tech man at this time and place? You young farts don't deserve what you are about to receive.

Wow. I'm completely lost by this post. IIrc, last year at this time, there were a bunch of idiots who either hated CPJ or the option on the one hand or think W-L is the only stat for judging a coach on the other heating his seat.

However, there were a lot of reasonable optimists who were expecting more last year. Even if sarcastic, ot seems to give the idiots too much credit, imo.

But, it evokes approval, so I guess I'm an idiot for not getting it.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Now, here we are a year later, and we've seemingly made no progress as many are still predicting an 8-4 season. At least that is now the pessimistic prognostication

Awesome retrospective and another high quality Mule post. Thanks for that walk down memory lane.

To be a grumpy nitpicker....since thats what we do yaknow....with ND and FSU coming on the schedule 8-4 is possible with a better team than last year. So much depends on injuries and other forms of luck.

Really to me it's always about how we play and compete that matters. Show good talent, compete hard as hell, play good football consistently, never quit, be hardnosed, work hard to get better, and I will be happy.

Usually you'll win your share if you do the above. Sometimes luck can rob you or the other teams on your schedule are also competing the way you are and some go their way. That's competition and life sometimes. Main thing is to play good, hard Georgia Tech football.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
AE 8looking : 172127 said:
Wow. I'm completely lost by this post. IIrc, last year at this time, there were a bunch of idiots who either hated CPJ or the option on the one hand or think W-L is the only stat for judging a coach on the other heating his seat.

However, there were a lot of reasonable optimists who were expecting more last year. Even if sarcastic, ot seems to give the idiots too much credit, imo.

But, it evokes approval, so I guess I'm an idiot for not getting it.

You may be looking too deeply. He is saying that there were equal or more reasons to be pessimistic for 2014-15 and look how that turned out. Not only was it a marvelous renaissance for GT/CPJ brand football, it lends an optimistic perspective on this season because the concerns (New receivers! No ABs! Brutal schedule!) are valid but can ultimately be overcome.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
You may be looking too deeply. He is saying that there were equal or more reasons to be pessimistic for 2014-15 and look how that turned out. Not only was it a marvelous renaissance for GT/CPJ brand football, it lends an optimistic perspective on this season because the concerns (New receivers! No ABs! Brutal schedule!) are valid but can ultimately be overcome.

Thanks. I agree with this.

Like I said, I just didn't/don't get it. I have no problem saying that the problem is on my end.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
a half dozen also rans at A Back that had never been able to break into the starting lineup

Was that really the case? I'm can't remember, but we I didn't have the impression that the a-backs were bad in any way, just that they weren't superstars. I know losing godhigh was big, but I didn't have the impression that the a-backs were deficient. Was that a concern? In the this offense, you only need dependable, superstar is a nice to have.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Yep! Last year everyone was questioning JT, Laskey, Perkins, etc. Panic really set in after all the dismissals during the summer. Great recap. One of the reasons I try to temper my expectations.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck

+100
I loved this post. So much I agree with. It is true that Jacket larve do not deserve the blessings of a great season, (logic being they have not had to suffer to date) much less the potential for our gridiron warriors to actually go the distance. But the experience will entrench them for life as they will stand by their team through the lean years, helping to exercise the ghosts at BDS that assist our warriors in making great upsets even in down years. (See #6 South Carolina - 1988) For I was but a Yellow Jacket larva in 1988, and like last year which I didn't expect, I am hoping this is another season I've been waiting for, going on 25 years now.

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned

Yes, but look at the bright side......the ones predicting anything less than 8-4 this season have left here to post/ complain at another site known for its disgruntled members. :eek: