Legacies

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It's probably taken from the percentage of kids that applied from within the state and not out of the 52,354. So 36% of the kids that live in Georgia and applied were accepted which would not be 52,354 total.
I'm still confused. From the tweet

52,354 applications this year
3,750 admitted (GT record) 🐝

36% admit rate for Georgia residents
12% admit rate for nonresidents 🎓

If less than 3750 people were admitted out of over 52,354 applications, yielding an exception rate of 7.16%. By definition the two subgroups that make up the both have cannot both have acceptance rates greater than the total admitted percentage of 7.16%, regardless of the subgroup ratio.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
0.36(I) + 0.12(O) = 3,750
O + I = 52,354
I understand that.

Show me how .36(I)+.12(O)=0.07162776*52,354, assuming
O + I = 52,354

To get the smallest value for your first equation, under the assumption that the second equation is true, we would set I=zero. That would make O = 6,282 (assuming no partial people). 6,282 is more than a rounding error than the 3,750 admitted.

Last edited:

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I'm still confused. From the tweet

52,354 applications this year
3,750 admitted (GT record) 🐝

36% admit rate for Georgia residents
12% admit rate for nonresidents 🎓

If less than 3750 people were admitted out of over 52,354 applications, yielding an exception rate of 7.16%. By definition the two subgroups that make up the both have cannot both have acceptance rates greater than the total admitted percentage of 7.16%, regardless of the subgroup ratio.
Maybe they are including the Masters program too??

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I believe the math is off because they butchered the semantics.

They are expecting 3,750 to enroll, per the article.

The percentages cited for "admitted" students reads more like the traditional "accepted" students (i.e., acceptance rate), based on how I interpret the context in the article.

Just a guess. We're known for math, not grammar. And that could include my inability to read good (sic).

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I believe the math is off because they butchered the semantics.

They are expecting 3,750 to enroll, per the article.

The percentages cited for "admitted" students reads more like the traditional "accepted" students (i.e., acceptance rate), based on how I interpret the context in the article.

Just a guess. We're known for math, not grammar. And that could include my inability to read good (sic).
But is the enrollment hit rate really that low? If over 53,000 applications were received and two groups were accepted at rats of 12% and 36%, that means we accepted between 6300-18,800 students. Logically, that number is going to be a lot closer to the 18k figure (prob 14k-15k I’d guess) because more applicants are in state... are +75% of ACCEPTED applicants choosing other schools?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
But is the enrollment hit rate really that low? If over 53,000 applications were received and two groups were accepted at rats of 12% and 36%, that means we accepted between 6300-18,800 students. Logically, that number is going to be a lot closer to the 18k figure (prob 14k-15k I’d guess) because more applicants are in state... are +75% of ACCEPTED applicants choosing other schools?
I'm far from the expert, but I find that plausible.

I support a local alumni network. We interview candidates for scholarships who also are regularly accepted to the ivys, Duke, Vandy, etc., in addition to other southeast area schools where they are offered a lot of money to attend, and it's interesting to hear their thought process.

I also wouldn't be surprised if my thesis on interpreting the math is wildly inaccurate and your assertion is correct.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I agree that this is just a poorly worded statement which conflates admitted with enrolled. Typically for colleges, for every 3-4 people you accept, 1 person enrolls. (Sadly the number of truly college qualified students is not as big as one would think and they tend to have a lot of options.) This is why sometimes you hear about colleges having temporary housing issues because more people decided to enroll than the college expected when it sent out admittance letters.

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm certain 3750 represents the predicted/goal size of the freshman class. Also, I've seen that Tech's yield (number of accepted students who ultimately enroll / admitted students) is somewhere around 40%.

Assuming both are true, the acceptance rate is approximately 18% which is sounds correct given history and trends.

Attachments

• Tech 2023 admissions.jpg
    Tech 2023 admissions.jpg
    881.6 KB · Views: 9

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Basically admitted = you can come

Enrolled = okay, I am coming

From what @forensicbuzz dug up, the tweet should have stated 3750 being enrolled, not admitted.

That means I was not bonkers and they gave bad data and verbiage.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
We're claiming there's neary 44k people attending GT, but only 17k undergrads and only 15k are full time. With 3750 coming in full time as undergrads, that means damn near 100% of those admitted are graduating. GT is a very different place now than look left, look right.

We have almost 20k 100% online students.

I'm guessing less than half now are Engineering majors. That means we're admitting about 1800 undergrad engineering majors a year. We're conferring about 4500 engineering degrees anually so it's probably 3:1 graduate to undergrad.Nationwide there's about 200k engineering degrees per year, so we're filling about 2% of the nation's spots.

The woefully low number of undergrad accepts & consequentially the low enrolment numbers is something GT needs to address. You could fix the legacy problem if you just did that.

On another note, I hang around with many from a lot of the major universities and they're all struggling with legacy issues. Every single one. GT is not the only school that has frustrated alums trying to get junior into their alma mater.

slugboy

Staff member
We're claiming there's neary 44k people attending GT, but only 17k undergrads and only 15k are full time. With 3750 coming in full time as undergrads, that means damn near 100% of those admitted are graduating. GT is a very different place now than look left, look right.

We have almost 20k 100% online students.

I'm guessing less than half now are Engineering majors. That means we're admitting about 1800 undergrad engineering majors a year. We're conferring about 4500 engineering degrees anually so it's probably 3:1 graduate to undergrad.Nationwide there's about 200k engineering degrees per year, so we're filling about 2% of the nation's spots.

The woefully low number of undergrad accepts & consequentially the low enrolment numbers is something GT needs to address. You could fix the legacy problem if you just did that.

On another note, I hang around with many from a lot of the major universities and they're all struggling with legacy issues. Every single one. GT is not the only school that has frustrated alums trying to get junior into their alma mater.

Here’s a breakdown-> https://lite.gatech.edu/lite_script/dashboards/enrollment.html.

There are 24k full time students for the fall semester. About 19k are in the colleges of Engineering, Computing, or Sciences. If you cut it down to just Engineering, it drops down to 11.5k. There are 6.5k in Computing. College of Design (which I think includes Architecture) is 1.5k.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Here’s a breakdown-> https://lite.gatech.edu/lite_script/dashboards/enrollment.html.

There are 24k full time students for the fall semester. About 19k are in the colleges of Engineering, Computing, or Sciences. If you cut it down to just Engineering, it drops down to 11.5k. There are 6.5k in Computing. College of Design (which I think includes Architecture) is 1.5k.
Damn I damn near nailed it. There's 7200 full time undergrad Engineering students and we enrolled 1546 in the fall. Basically 1 in 30 that applies ends up starting as an Engineer.

Odd though that we're admitting 25% less Engineers than 5 years ago. It was over 2k.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I hesitate to share this but here it goes.

Legacy alone is not enough to get into a selective university anymore. And that is as it should be.

But. What if the student is otherwise qualified?

Having been on both sides of academia I can tell you for a fact that alum who support their alma mater are listened to.

My nephew was originally not accepted to a school. When it turned out that his grandfather, father, three uncles and two cousins all went there and were heavy contributors to the school, his transcript got a second look and he was admitted.

Three things made this happen. The transcript compared favorably to the profile of acceptance. The family contributes well to the school and their careers have brought honor to the school. A well crafted and respectful letter was sent to the Dean and the President requesting a conversation to clarify the reasons for rejection of the application.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Damn I damn near nailed it. There's 7200 full time undergrad Engineering students and we enrolled 1546 in the fall. Basically 1 in 30 that applies ends up starting as an Engineer.

Odd though that we're admitting 25% less Engineers than 5 years ago. It was over 2k.
I don’t know how old you are but everybody studies Computer Science these days rather than your mom and pop’s classic mechanical engineering. The salaries are absurd (levels.fyi for more info) and these kids are all growing up chained to handheld computers, no wonder they are interested in them.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Just wanted to vent. My youngest just got denied from Ma Tech today admission. She’s a fantastic student, straight A’s, 35 on her ACT, lots of extracurricular, and a bunch of college classes thru a partnership with her high school.

We live in NC so applying out of state. We knew it would be competitive but I am honestly shocked she didn’t even get waitlisted.

It really sucks that being a legacy carries so little weight. Hard to build a big fan base when it’s so difficult for your kids to get in.

Probably makes me a bad alum, but it’s gonna be difficult to not laugh when ma tech comes asking for money next time.

I know about the transfer option; she actually qualified for that without us. But she doesn’t want to change schools after 1 year and I don’t blame her.

I thought Tech was done shafting me
I feel your pain. Mine was similar. In state, wait listed, then admitted super late but only for summer. It was crazy and i do think being a GT alum is a negative for the admission team. Their stated goal is, or was at the time, focusing on first time college families. The silly thing is he was accepted to UGA honors, which means top 10% of those admitted and accepted to UNC, out of state. All that being said, he gets out Saturday. It was a good place for him, but the shaft continues long after you get out.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know how old you are but everybody studies Computer Science these days rather than your mom and pop’s classic mechanical engineering. The salaries are absurd (levels.fyi for more info) and these kids are all growing up chained to handheld computers, no wonder they are interested in them.
Not quite as old as a 701.

I'm glad we have a huge and growing CS program, but we should be growing our engineering programs, too. We should also be growing our business school.

GT needs to dominate & there's plenty of potential students- legacies, first time college family kids, all the diversity we could ever want. There's room for all. We're turning them away in droves but we should be lining them up and cranking out GT alums.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Just read the rejection stories, sorry guys we were in the same boat. Daughter applied for entry in 2018. Dotted all the i's and crossed all the T's. 34 ACT, 4.0 GPA from a prep school out of state with alumni parent, yada yada. We did it all. Acceptance day we were sure there would be a letter. Nothing. She was absolutely crushed. So she called.

Get this - admissions screwed up the application process because of an apostrophe in our last name. She addressed all needed items initially that went into her file. But there was a few remaining items that were sent in later near the registration deadline (I don't recall what) that weren't applied to her application portfolio, but were added to a separate bin under her name but without the apostrophe. So two different applications, neither complete without the other half because of two different last names.

Admissions even admitted it was their mistake, and when we asked when she could expect her letter, they said they couldn't fix it, it was too late, and she would have to wait until the following year. I ripped them a new *** right on the spot and told them how embarrassing it was for the school I always bragged about couldn't get a last name with an apostrophe right in the computer system when Mississippi State and Ole Miss didn't have any issues with THEIR system and had already accepted her into honors college. I gave them pure hell.

The director of admissions or some such manager therein called us back the next day to tell me they had reserved her a transfer spot for the following year. Wife told them to shove it up their *** (not her exact words but close), our daughter would attend engineering school at a university which had admissions software that could handle an apostrophe or at least an admissions director that could figure out how to fix their own mistake.

Were we rude? I don't care, it was a once in a lifetime opportunity for her to get that letter and they screwed it up. Now it IS possible she didn't make the cut in Admissions, but that isn't what was communicated to us.

In the end I had to tell her that for important things like that in life, she has to follow up. She took it for granted that admissions could handle her application and it cost her. So yes, it all was her own fault for not checking. Hard lesson learned.