Leave the Option to the Helluva Engineers

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Golden was going to hit the RB no matter what on that play. Defending the option is easy when there's only two options. :D

worthco jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I know Mullen has had option plays in his arsenal over the years but how about when they run a pitch play and Golden just lights the kid up and forces the fumble Rook-Chungong recovered?

My brother and I were like: "Now, see here Miss State, you want to be leaving that option and pitching stuff to the professionals."

On their first possession FSU ran an option play and they also got blown up and eventually had to settle for a field goal.

I am not claiming that CPJ is inspiring a trend as option plays and elements are actually fairly common in CFB anyway, but in the light of how well the Tech O played last night I think such attempts by other teams deserve a bit of mock condescension.

I am going to post something that will ruffle feathers, and be derided but it is based upon my experience years ago defending the damn thing. The option is not for schools to just mess around with and maybe run once or twice a year. The timing of the mesh, the pitch relationship between the quarterback and halfbacks must be perfect, and it requires a quarterback with really good footwork and speed to get to the corner otherwise it is not going to work. Bottom line is that teams have to be all in to run the triple option. Consider, linemen in most offenses have huge tackles and somewhat smaller guards. The triple option needs quicker, more athletic tackles and big boys on the inside. Being a center in this offense is tough. You have to be big enough to take on nose tackles lined up in an odd alignment or quick enough to get to the linebackers in gap scheme. Teams that just fool around with it are wasting their time. It's unique characteristics are best suited for the service academies and Tech because they are willing to recruit players that might be overlooked by the factories. This is not to imply that Tech and the academies are similar. Tech has much more talent especially in the trenches. I was watching Navy play Army and their 280 lb offensive linemen were slower than our 300 lb ones. They did not, needless to say, have anyone remotely similar to Shaq or Burden. It's just not the same.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I see no reason why your post would ruffle feathers WorthCo. I agree, the true option plays with pitches and such should not simply be run.

As an anecdotal example I ran the triple option in my turkey bowl a few years back and the results were catastrophic.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
I know Mullen has had option plays in his arsenal over the years but how about when they run a pitch play and Golden just lights the kid up and forces the fumble Rook-Chungong recovered?

My brother and I were like: "Now, see here Miss State, you want to be leaving that option and pitching stuff to the professionals."

On their first possession FSU ran an option play and they also got blown up and eventually had to settle for a field goal.

I am not claiming that CPJ is inspiring a trend as option plays and elements are actually fairly common in CFB anyway, but in the light of how well the Tech O played last night I think such attempts by other teams deserve a bit of mock condescension.

Watch their offensive line. Apparently, Mississippi State's version of the option is to leave 4 lineman unblocked and 'option' off of all 4.
:)