Layup Consultant

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I didn't notice this posted elsewhere and thought it needed its own thread regardless. Pastner brought in Miami Heat shooting coach Rob Fodor to talk about layups.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/070717aab.html

While he hasn’t used Fodor’s methods on his players yet, Pastner believes one person in particular can benefit.

“Josh Okogie has to get better,” he said. That may seem odd, given Okogie led the Yellow Jackets in scoring last season (16.1 ppg) and is currently playing on USA Basketball’s U19 national team at the FIBA U19 World Cup. But better finishing at the rim, Pastner believes, can make the sophomore an even more impactful player.

“As much as he scored, do you know how many points he left on the board with missed layups?” Pastner said.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn't notice this posted elsewhere and thought it needed its own thread regardless. Pastner brought in Miami Heat shooting coach Rob Fodor to talk about layups.

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/070717aab.html
Thanks for digging this up - it was very interesting.

I know that a lot us knowing about things like this depends on how aggressively a coach/staff is promoting themselves, but I really appreciate seeing the relentless attempts to find and address weaknesses. I wonder if Ben Lammers ever worked with a track coach this summer.

I also appreciate the fact that the GTAA increased the MBB budget when they brought in Pastner, which I'm sure makes it easier to do things like this. I have the impression that Gregory was operating on a shoestring, at least in the first couple of years.

Also, while I wish for the most success for Tech's assistant coaches, I kind of hope we get to see this staff stay together for several years.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Here is my layup consulting:
Dunk the basketball!!

And don't say they can't, we all see it in the lay up lines and on Instagram.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We seem to miss a **** load of layups last year. Especially Tadric. The kid just needs to attack the rim and dunk or draw a foul.

I hear you, but I remember JoshO as especial.

I'm just glad that CPast remembers our problem with layups over all as we do.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I subscribe to the Popovich school of not dunking. Sure, looks cool, but save the energy.

Just make the damn layup....

If you can dunk the ball, you dunk the freaking ball.

I'm not saying you try to throw down a 360, double-pump, through-the-legs, NBAJamz-style schmash (which is probably what Popo is referring to) but when you fiddle around with layups, you leave yourself open to more trouble than when you just go up and throw it down.

There's nothing worse than watching a 6'10 guy trying to aim for the freaking square or trying to avoid contact with some 'ooh, look-at-me I'm so skilled' layup when he should just go up skrong (yes, skrong) and dunk the freaking ball.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Missed layups have a lot to do with fatigue too. We weren't deep and the guys got a lot of minutes. I get the felling the kids were not in the condition that CJP likes. I could be wrong but the style of play and tempo was different than what BG ran.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Missed layups have a lot to do with fatigue too. We weren't deep and the guys got a lot of minutes. I get the felling the kids were not in the condition that CJP likes. I could be wrong but the style of play and tempo was different than what BG ran.

In J-Oks case I attribute it a bit to age. A 7' wingspan in HS he was probably able to get those up uncontested. Also it was obvious he was anticipating the hit A LOT of the time. Just go strong and look to finish and if you get hit worry about that later. The other part of his game he needs to work on is the left hand which also attributes to his layups and he often puts the ball up with his right from the left side of the hoop. The angle is far more extreme and unless you crank your wrist the right way it can be difficult to make especially in traffic or contested. The angle from the left side of the hoops is much easier coming out of your left hand, larger cross section of the glass available to you and its harder for the defender to get across your body to block without fouling you. Though it does mean the ball spends a bit more time in the air for the come from behind block. (Lebron Block)

slugboy

Staff member

Not that he was going to go that deep into the bench, but he rode his starters, who could have used some rest in a few games. We were gassed by the ACC tournament. Just some substitutions would've helped, if they were really practical

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk