Lack of NFL Creativity?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Figured this discussion needed to be extracted from the other thread.

My comments re. the lack of creativity in the NFL were not necessarily a call for more option football. I don't think that group is willing to try anything different from what they're already doing. Nothing at all.

Who knows if an organization committed to a run - based offense with true option elements would work or not? No organization has the gumption to adhere their draft and free agency strategy to it so we have no idea if it'd work or not. That's the problem. They're not even willing to try.

Does there have to be only 1 QB capable of taking snaps? NFL history says it does, but that's only because they haven't tried anything else.

And on the 'guy's will be hurt' front, all our opponents aim to hurt JT, Nesbitt, etc on the option play but how many times has it happened? How many times have our QB been leveled and injured on an option play? The fact of the matter is, on an option play, the QB typically ends up out of harms way. In the pitch, the defender would have to make a totally counterintuitive move in order to lay a real blow on the QB. Same on a give. On a keep, he'd have to protect himself for sure but I still venture to say he's less likely to get a crushing blow than a passing pocket statue.

Overall, I just think someone has to break up the cookie cutter nature of offense in the NFL. Is option the answer? Maybe, maybe not, but it's a legit question that they're unwilling to ask.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
when you have that much money invested you don't want to look like you don't deserve it. Owners and GMs will always go the safe route because they know if something doesn't work you change it after a short amount of time. GMs don't want to lose their jobs and coaches definitely don't want to lose theirs.

Its better to go with the safe known commodity then gamble it all on something that may cause you to lose a lot of income.