Kudos to where its due

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I just read the article with the final rankings for 2024 and I am very impressed with the recruits this current staff are bringing in. 5 - 4 stars, a top 150 recruit at RB, number 30th in the nation, and 6th in the ACC. Very, Very good in my opinion.

Tech has always had a lot to offer, and I think we are finally starting to trend in the right direction.

So Kudos CBK and staff, you are doing a great job.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I just read the article with the final rankings for 2024 and I am very impressed with the recruits this current staff are bringing in. 5 - 4 stars, a top 150 recruit at RB, number 30th in the nation, and 6th in the ACC. Very, Very good in my opinion.

Tech has always had a lot to offer, and I think we are finally starting to trend in the right direction.

So Kudos CBK and staff, you are doing a great job.
Mind linking whatever article you are talking about?

On3 list 7 guys in the current class (not including transfers) rated 4 stars by at least 1 service, it looks like there are actually 8 though:

Canion
Carrie
Philo (bumped to 4 by Rivals)
Stevenson
Greer
Harpring
Knowles
Bradford

And it's possible we still pickup someone else for NSD, though I don't know who we might be pursuing.

Last edited:

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
CBK believes in GA Tech. He bleeds it authentically as he’s been there, done that. Recruits feel that.
Long post, grab a drink before reading. TL;DR: I agree.

Long-*** version:
This is what I kept thinking as the back-and-forth was going on amongst the members of this forum when we were evaluating head coaching candidates.

After Key's half-season as interim HC, I was bought in to him - but with a few lingering doubts.

While I was underwhelmed with the performance of the O-line under Key, I also understood a) it supposedly takes 3 years to build an O-line that gels, and b) TFG's operational style didn't lend itself to anyone building an effective O-line (how do you train an O-line without any contact drills?). So I still had my doubts there.

But I was willing to overlook them, because of 2 things:

1) His results on the field as interim HC. I don't think I've ever seen an interim HC at any program I can remember have the same amount of positive momentum shift in a program. 4-4 was no huge win record, for sure - but it was better than any results we'd seen for 3 years. It was mind-blowing how much difference he was able to accomplish, in such a short time.

and 2) His obvious passion for Georgia Tech, and for the role of a head coach. To be fair to all those who weren't on the Brent Key bus, there's admittedly no real dollar value you can assign to this. Passion for a school does not equal wins. We've seen countless alumni head coaches go back to their alma maters and leave them worse than when they got there.

...but I kept thinking, "Key is different." He's not here because he sees it as the next logical step in his career (and it happens to be his alma mater). The dude put up with 3.5 years working under an HC whose approach was seemingly diametrically-opposed to Key's mindset. He had opportunities to leave for more money - and the "right" course of action for his career probably would've been to leave. But he stayed, in my opinion, because he thought he'd get the shot to build something better at Tech. He was willing to forego personal gain at the time to continue to invest in something long-term.

Then when he was hired, he took a contract that was less than others were making - although admittedly more money than he'd ever made in his life - and was loaded with performance incentives. This was a win-win - for both the school and him (even though many would argue he's getting underpaid).

Most importantly, he got a chance to "do over" as HC, after things at UCF came crashing down. And to do it at a program he loves. Having failed at a job before, it's hard to describe how incredibly valuable that is.

I'm convinced that every single word he speaks to a recruit, a coach, or an athlete on this team reflects the authentic passion mentioned above. Every single athlete on the team understands it. And they are buying into it (along, obviously, with many recruits). (NOTE: TFG had passion. But I don't think it came from as authentic a place as Key, who's "been there, done that.")

That's something you can't buy in a coach. It's something they just have to have, intrinsically. And all of that passion is on top of his work as a student of the game and the coaching profession for the past 23 years.

I'm damn glad we have this man (who got to Atlanta the same year I did) at the helm. It's refreshing to see someone who not only has a natural passion for the Institute, but also who has a plan for how to get us from point A to point B, and appears to have a relentless focus on execution.

I feel like we're at the trailhead. We're just getting started climbing the mountain. But we have a leader who insists on being right there in front, every step of the way, grinding it out just as hard as the team. And that's an awesome feeling to have after a few years of wandering aimlessly through the desert.

gorcone

Georgia Tech Fan

Long-*** version:
This is what I kept thinking as the back-and-forth was going on amongst the members of this forum when we were evaluating head coaching candidates.

After Key's half-season as interim HC, I was bought in to him - but with a few lingering doubts.

While I was underwhelmed with the performance of the O-line under Key, I also understood a) it supposedly takes 3 years to build an O-line that gels, and b) TFG's operational style didn't lend itself to anyone building an effective O-line (how do you train an O-line without any contact drills?). So I still had my doubts there.

1) His results on the field as interim HC. I don't think I've ever seen an interim HC at any program I can remember have the same amount of positive momentum shift in a program. 4-4 was no huge win record, for sure - but it was better than any results we'd seen for 3 years. It was mind-blowing how much difference he was able to accomplish, in such a short time.

and 2) His obvious passion for Georgia Tech, and for the role of a head coach. To be fair to all those who weren't on the Brent Key bus, there's admittedly no real dollar value you can assign to this. Passion for a school does not equal wins. We've seen countless alumni head coaches go back to their alma maters and leave them worse than when they got there.

...but I kept thinking, "Key is different." He's not here because he sees it as the next logical step in his career (and it happens to be his alma mater). The dude put up with 3.5 years working under an HC whose approach was seemingly diametrically-opposed to Key's mindset. He had opportunities to leave for more money - and the "right" course of action for his career probably would've been to leave. But he stayed, in my opinion, because he thought he'd get the shot to build something better at Tech. He was willing to forego personal gain at the time to continue to invest in something long-term.

Then when he was hired, he took a contract that was less than others were making - although admittedly more money than he'd ever made in his life - and was loaded with performance incentives. This was a win-win - for both the school and him (even though many would argue he's getting underpaid).

Most importantly, he got a chance to "do over" as HC, after things at UCF came crashing down. And to do it at a program he loves. Having failed at a job before, it's hard to describe how incredibly valuable that is.

I'm convinced that every single word he speaks to a recruit, a coach, or an athlete on this team reflects the authentic passion mentioned above. Every single athlete on the team understands it. And they are buying into it (along, obviously, with many recruits). (NOTE: TFG had passion. But I don't think it came from as authentic a place as Key, who's "been there, done that.")

That's something you can't buy in a coach. It's something they just have to have, intrinsically. And all of that passion is on top of his work as a student of the game and the coaching profession for the past 23 years.

I'm damn glad we have this man (who got to Atlanta the same year I did) at the helm. It's refreshing to see someone who not only has a natural passion for the Institute, but also who has a plan for how to get us from point A to point B, and appears to have a relentless focus on execution.

I feel like we're at the trailhead. We're just getting started climbing the mountain. But we have a leader who insists on being right there in front, every step of the way, grinding it out just as hard as the team. And that's an awesome feeling to have after a few years of wandering aimlessly through the desert.
Well said Thatguy.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Long-*** version:

Damn dude, great post! I believe that we are just seeing the tip of the iceburg with our recruiting, we imo can be recruiting top 3 in the ACC as the wins and momentum build. It’s going to take money to hang onto our coaches and players, I hope to God the GT alum out there are of all income brackets are happy with the changes and will be willing to help

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Long-*** version:

This is a great time to be "that guy".

Well done @ThatGuy

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

Long-*** version:

Wonderful post.

To quote what the youngins say...."Real recognizes real"

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Damn dude, great post! I believe that we are just seeing the tip of the iceburg with our recruiting, we imo can be recruiting top 3 in the ACC as the wins and momentum build. It’s going to take money to hang onto our coaches and players, I hope to God the GT alum out there are of all income brackets are happy with the changes and will be willing to help
Money ? you say.Its been said IN PRINT that Ohio St is spreading out 13 MIL for the team -to buy a Natty maybe. That is what talks these days for top teams.I wonder what we have?

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
I think GT has set up the base camp for the climb in the bowl game and has started the assent.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Wonderful post.

To quote what the youngins say...."Real recognizes real"
I knew there would be someone who could encapsulate it with ~1224 fewer words than I used. 😂

Seriously, though, agreed wholeheartedly. As a marketing leader in the past I've worked for multiple companies that sell into technical audiences (read: software developers and DevOps professionals). The common thread of marketing to developers is simple: No marketing. Most people don't like to be sold to; they like to buy. Engineers, of course, take this to a whole new level.

The key to reaching that audience (and most audiences, but it's more pronounced with technical audiences) is authenticity. Plain and simple. If you're trying to put a $20 word on something, or coin a catchy marketing phrase, don't bother. Communicate the value in a straightforward way, and give them the tools to test and decide for themselves (and provide feedback where necessary).

Authenticity is easy to talk about, but hard to communicate. You either have it, or you don't. Coach Key has it, and it resonates.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Money ? you say.Its been said IN PRINT that Ohio St is spreading out 13 MIL for the team -to buy a Natty maybe. That is what talks these days for top teams.I wonder what we have?
I know we will never have that kind of money to blow on players, i’m just talking about getting into the top 3-4 of the ACC in talent and trying to hang on to our players.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I love all the sentiments, thoughts, and opinions here in this thread. But Coach Key’s won-lost record over the next few years remains to be seen.

I hope it is all great. I’m pulling hard for him and the team.

gtee91

Georgia Tech Fan
I love all the sentiments, thoughts, and opinions here in this thread. But Coach Key’s won-lost record over the next few years remains to be seen.

I hope it is all great. I’m pulling hard for him and the team.
Despite the ACC being the ACC, we always seem to get a brutal schedule...I like Key but I am afraid we just don't have the players and depth...not sure if we ever will, whole new world out there

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I know we will never have that kind of money to blow on players, i’m just talking about getting into the top 3-4 of the ACC in talent and trying to hang on to our players.
Well, its all tied together.When you live in world where you (1) have to worry about LOSING your best players EVERY yr and (2) you have to fight/pay for new good-ones,its hard to make progress.