Kudos to the defense

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's face it, we are a bad defense. Today, the players played with good effort and were disruptive forcing some Pitt mistakes. The coaches seemed willing to bring the pressure from some different looks and it worked out well for us. It's going to be feast or famine if we do that, but that's what many of us were calling for. We benefited from the slew of fumbles, but the creativity in scheme and solid effort is the recipe for this team that can win some games with a good offense.

I want to add this ...
Pitt didn't just give away those fumbles. Our guys stripped that sucker out of their hands over and over again. We were hungry and it payed off.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That was some crazy stuff out there. You don't see it every day. We were both fortunate and aggressive.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
You can teach a great lesson to our guys from this. Play hard and aggressive and you may just get some things to fall your way. Doubt we see 6 fumbles again even total all year but we can force some turnovers and some sacks.

UgagSucks

Jolly Good Fellow
Glad we won, and glad they forced some turnovers, but they are what they are...they gave up 518 yds....

Yes, I've very proud of how hard the team played today. The 5 turnovers in the first quarter was ridiculous.

With that said, we still gave us over 500 yards which is way too much. Gotta fix that somehow.....

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
No kidding. They avg about 8 yards a play and we averaged 8 yards a a play. We won due to their turnovers, plain and simple. Let's face it, they broke a ncaa record of turnovers in a quarter and it was a two possession game at one point. Very frustrating
Our offense kept us in the game. Pitt pretty much beat themselves. the 3 and out stop after the turn over was due to dropped passes that should have been caught. However we did make some plays that caused fumbles and that was difference. Pitt was not meant to win today. Kind of like we weren't meant to beat Duke that day.

jason

Georgia Tech Fan
I love watching PJ blitz its fast and furious I wish we could just move him around and send him every play. I know its not possible but would be fun to watch.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, I've very proud of how hard the team played today. The 5 turnovers in the first quarter was ridiculous.

With that said, we still gave us over 500 yards which is way too much. Gotta fix that somehow.....
If we scored a little less easily, that would reduce that number.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I want to add this ...
Pitt didn't just give away those fumbles. Our guys stripped that sucker out of their hands over and over again. We were hungry and it payed off.
I believe Pitt did give away two if not three of there fumbles. We obliged them however in taking possession.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Typically a fan treats turnovers as avoidable when their team's offense makes them and loses the ball and as great plays by their defense when they take the ball away from the opponent.

There are a couple guys posting in this thread who reverse this and it says a lot about their attitude to our team.

The announcers pointed out that: CPJ spent more time in the defensive position and unit meetings over the course of the week and Coach Roof said "he was welcomed there and appreciated"; that the defense had made a point of emphasizing the need to attack the football more which means to try and force fumbles; DJ White made a play of the year both in result and effort which demonstrated w/o a doubt that the defense takes pride in their effort and is striving to get better every day; and every single one of those fumbles (and a couple of near interceptions) involved Tech defensive players hitting the Pitt guy and the ball hard plus having a swarm of defenders there as the only ones with a chance to recover the ball. Remember it is one thing to force a fumble but another to recover it (ala the VT QB).

There are so many positive signs this year of the togetherness and chemistry and pride the team takes in itself as a whole as well as in clear effort to improve. This was a great win on the road against a tough divisional opponent. I am proud of the team for effort and for the fact that even after letting a 28-0 margin get reduced to 14 they found a way as a team to end the game with that same 28 point margin. That suggests growth and maturity even since just the Southern game and I am glad to see it.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
The Pitt fans did an awful lot of booing in the stands as well. I thought only the Eastern Pennsylvanians did that as Phillies fans but I guess it is a statewide affliction.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
This game was a gift from the football gods even with the hustle,no way we are 28 pts better than pitt
--a little like the Syracuse game last yr--some things just happen

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This game was a gift from the football gods even with the hustle,no way we are 28 pts better than pitt
--a little like the Syracuse game last yr--some things just happen

See my post on god helps those who help themselves. That said, I agree we got a lot of fortunate bounces that had been missing in the last two games.

There is no way if we could play Pitt 10 times that we would win by an average of 28, we'd probably lose 3 or so. Just like if we played Duke 10 times we would beat them 9 times out of 10 ..... wait we did....... it's what makes CFB so fascinating and enjoyable. You never know what is going to happen for sure and there is a lot of emotion, intensity and tradition.

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe Pitt did give away two if not three of there fumbles. We obliged them however in taking possession.
I think u are right, LfD. There were also some really close calls, including fumbles, which were inconclusive on review. If a few of those are called differently on the field, there may have been a few less turnovers. We got just about every break and call you could get. And somehow the zebras couldn't call us for a single chop block. Fix was in ;)