Kobe Rails against American AAU culture

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As usual, Gary Parrish makes great points in response to the topic of the day.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This destroyed my timeline this morning also. Everybody jumped in. Everybody had good points or selfish angles.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
AAU isn't the problem. There are plenty of terrible HS coaches.

Shoes companies, non-education orientated prep basketball D1 Factories and "handlers" are more of a problem.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I partially agree with you Peacone. AAU is part of the problem. The entire setup from HS, shoe companies, AAU all have a role in why American players in general don't learn skills as well.

In general, Americans spend too much time playing games and not enough practicing.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I partially agree with you Peacone. AAU is part of the problem. The entire setup from HS, shoe companies, AAU all have a role in why American players in general don't learn skills as well.

In general, Americans spend too much time playing games and not enough practicing.

Should we blame it all on Iverson ' rant?

Kidding, agree it's all of the above and it needs to change yesterday.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Athleticism and potential have replaced fundamental play. You saw it tonight. Chuck on the break, if he lays it up with his left hand he probably gets 3 instead of 2.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I couldn't agree more. My kids have played AAU and it's about a week of practice and then 1 practice a week and a weekend of games. Not an emphasis on skills. I mostly put my boys in skill clinics and gun clubs because they're not getting it in practice.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Mike DeCourcy of The Sporting News brutalized Kobe's argument this morning with actual numbers.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah a lot of guys connected with the scene (in whatever capacity) are killing Kobe. I think what 'evidence' like DeCourcy's shows is basically the fact that the US produces more talented players than the international community does.

That doesn't disprove what Kobe said necessarily. What if, for example, they started pushing American football abroad and approached it from a more fundamental-focused standpoint.

Their tackling mechanics would probably be superior but their overall talent would not. That doesn't mean Americans don't need to re-focus on teaching tackling.

The backlash against Kobe IMO is just more anti-Kobe sentiment that's emerging now that he's on the downside of his career. Plus there's a lot of guys that make part of their living covering AAU and have relationships in that community.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Thats the correct way to get that message out.

AAU isnt teaching fundamentals, instead its individual athleticism at work. But in the last 15 years how many Euro AllStars have there been compared to the US?The US trnds to do well in international play as well,

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At least LeBron was already backing it up with actions and not just words. He sponsors an AAU team and has an annual skills camp that top prospects attend across both HS (campers) and college (counselors) players.

No idea how they'll apply their experience & resources to their teams, but Thaddeus Young (Team Thad), Derrick Favors (Derrick Favors Celtics, subset of the Atlanta Celtics), James Forrest (Team Forrest), and now Kenny Anderson (South Florida Elite) are among the former GT players now getting involved with AAU ball. Wouldn't surprise me if there are others I'm unaware of.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thats very good for our program you would think
LaGerald Vick played for Team Thad and Derrick Favors has a good relationship with BG & the program. There was a really good article a while back about the Celtics' influence on Favors, so he's doing right by them now. I won't mention who currently plays for the Celtics, because it'll probably just rile you up @Peacone36.

Team Forrest has some very good players, several of which I think play for Greenforest Academy.

Kenny is just trying to get back in to coaching.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Feature on Team Thad at HoopSeen. We were in the mix for Leron Black & LaGerald Vick.