Kiffin to Alabama as OC?

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
ESPN is reporting that Lane Kiffin is interviewing for the Offensive Coordinator job at Alabama to replace Doug Nussmeier. Kiffin met with Nussmeier and Saban before the Sugar Bowl to "share ideas and exchange ideas". After the meeting, Saban said,

"Lane is a really good offensive coach, and I've always had a tremendous amount of respect for him," Saban said then. "Just to come in and brainstorm a little bit to get some professional ideas with our guys is a really positive thing."

Adding another recruiter like Kiffin to that staff would make them even stronger on the recruiting circuit. I'm curious what you guys think though.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
If this true it just goes to show you don't have to have talent or knowledge, just a good shtick. Lame Kiffin is simply a miserable human being, snake oil salesman would be a complimentary title for him. Can you tell I don't care for the guy?????

gtgirl25

Georgia Tech Fan
I think this would be a big mistake for Saban/Bama to make, but like others said it could be the fall of this empire & I know a lot of people that would rejoice in that! Heard rumours that Saban wasn't happy with Nussmeier but think Michigan just outbid as he is now one of the highest paid coordinators in all of college football.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Nussmeier went to Michigan to be their OC right? So, did Saban fire him?

No, Saban didn't fire him. Nussmeier left to be the OC at Michigan. He made $680,000 at Bama last year but the speculation is that he got a pretty decent raise at UM.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not a fan of Kiffin but I don't view him as the pond scum most of you guys do. From what most coaches say about him, he's got a heck of an offensive mind. I do know he's a great recruiter. Sounds like a great fit at Bama to me.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Saban brought in Kiffin during bowl season to "consult" all the while Nussmeier was still OC. The writing was on the wall for Nussmeier...fortunately Michigan gave him a great parachute. Saban is notoriously hard to work for and his assistants don't stay long.

Saban bringing in Kiffin reminds me of when CPJ brought in Al Groh to "talk shop" while Wommack was still DC here in 2009.

Personally, I think it's a great move for Saban. Kiffin knows who the king of the kingdom is, and for all of Kiffin's antics, he's a well respected OC that had two great offenses at USC under Pete Carrol. Kiffin fits Saban's offensive mold in that he runs a "pro style" offense, and there's a ton of talent there for Kiffin to fit into his offense. Kiffin knows the Southeast in terms of recruiting, plus he has access to other areas from his USC days. Kiffin wants to be a head coach again, and no better way for him to do it than apprentice under the a coach widely considered the best in the business right now. Kiffin will tow the line while at Alabama. It's a mutually beneficial relationship that could pay off huge for both guys.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Well he really made no friends at tenn and thank goodness his dad cane with him ,he had great athletes at USC and couldnt do much there so Nicky may find out his respect is misplaced.Dont know the guy but from all I read ......he aint one of the good ones.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Saban brought in Kiffin during bowl season to "consult" all the while Nussmeier was still OC. The writing was on the wall for Nussmeier...fortunately Michigan gave him a great parachute. Saban is notoriously hard to work for and his assistants don't stay long.

Saban bringing in Kiffin reminds me of when CPJ brought in Al Groh to "talk shop" while Wommack was still DC here in 2009.

Personally, I think it's a great move for Saban. Kiffin knows who the king of the kingdom is, and for all of Kiffin's antics, he's a well respected OC that had two great offenses at USC under Pete Carrol. Kiffin fits Saban's offensive mold in that he runs a "pro style" offense, and there's a ton of talent there for Kiffin to fit into his offense. Kiffin knows the Southeast in terms of recruiting, plus he has access to other areas from his USC days. Kiffin wants to be a head coach again, and no better way for him to do it than apprentice under the a coach widely considered the best in the business right now. Kiffin will tow the line while at Alabama. It's a mutually beneficial relationship that could pay off huge for both guys.

Pretty much exactly my thoughts but you stated it much better than I could ever have.

GTOXAN2K11

Georgia Tech Fan
If this happens consider it the new axis of evil.

axis of evil.png

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Is he still a respected OC and offensive mind at this point? What's he done outside of the years with Carroll's bought-and-paid-for recruits? I mean other than continue to get hired over and over.

Then again, maybe he'd be right at home in Tuscaloosa. I don't think their recruits are bought necessarily but they certainly can pull talent over there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I believe Saban has proved that he has the ability to put together a solid coaching staff. If Kiffin is his guy, so be it.

Yup...this. When someone wins 4 national championships and has the premier college football program in the land, I believe they get the benefit when making these decisions. Saban has been through quite a few OC's between LSU and Alabama. He's won huge at both places. He probably knows what he's doing by now.