Key promises to make city proud of Georgia Tech

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
No doubt this comment is true. “No football program is ever going to be great, no athletics program, especially in college, is going to be great unless you have the alignment of the athletics program, the athletic director and the president of the school. Bottom line...” Key said."

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
This also says a lot about he thinks of some of the former GT Presidents... “The vertical alignment we have now at Georgia Tech, from the president (Angel) Cabrera to (athletic director) J Batt to the football program, it’s where it’s never been. It’s a different feel now from the top down to be able to have the resources, to be able to have the pieces to put the right things together.”

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I have had the opportunity to speak with president Cabrera in a recent alum event. We are very fortunate to have him leading our institute. He is a lot more personally engaging than our previous president. I think we are now heading in the right direction with our athletic programs under his leadership. Success may not be overnight but it's coming.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I know I keep repeating this but I just think it is huge and what we have been missing for 50+ years and that is the school being behind the athletic program. I agree with golftime that it may not be overnight but it is coming, over time we will pick up more and more support. I truly hope I'm around long enough to see it happen.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
No doubt this comment is true. “No football program is ever going to be great, no athletics program, especially in college, is going to be great unless you have the alignment of the athletics program, the athletic director and the president of the school. Bottom line...” Key said."

I'm developing a man crush on Brent but he is my oldest child's age.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Anyone hook a bro up with the archive.org? May just need to subscribe to the AJC with fall practice ramping up in a few weeks.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
A little salt for a wound that has not fully healed, not once did he say "elite" or "above the line". :p
I'd have no problem with Key using the word "elite", because I believe he knows what it actually means.

As for TFG...
1689266855799.gif

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Didn't know where else to put this and I know a lot of folks will check this thread out. In my reading of Bob Huggins situation at West Virginia, Gordon Gee is mentioned as the schools president. Back when he was at Vandy, he put the athletic department under the umbrella term of Student Activities. With Vandy being a private school, they don't have to make any type of financial records public. Could we do something similar and then the limit for the amount of funds given to athletics is cloaked in Student Activities. I agree that we have the perfect leadership.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I know I keep repeating this but I just think it is huge and what we have been missing for 50+ years and that is the school being behind the athletic program. I agree with golftime that it may not be overnight but it is coming, over time we will pick up more and more support. I truly hope I'm around long enough to see it happen.
People keep saying this, but 1990 happened because of the same thing. Football, basketball, baseball…all because of the alignment of the President (Crecine), AD (Rice), and coach (Ross, Cremins, Morris).

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
People keep saying this, but 1990 happened because of the same thing. Football, basketball, baseball…all because of the alignment of the President (Crecine), AD (Rice), and coach (Ross, Cremins, Morris).

Fair enough but I think it was glaringly obvious that Clough and Peterson after that didn’t give a crap about sports. Fortunately Cabrera does.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Didn't know where else to put this and I know a lot of folks will check this thread out. In my reading of Bob Huggins situation at West Virginia, Gordon Gee is mentioned as the schools president. Back when he was at Vandy, he put the athletic department under the umbrella term of Student Activities. With Vandy being a private school, they don't have to make any type of financial records public. Could we do something similar and then the limit for the amount of funds given to athletics is cloaked in Student Activities. I agree that we have the perfect leadership.
Vandy being a private school, they can get away with that. The Board of Regents in Georgia is responsible for guidelines regarding state institutions' separation of athletic funds from general funds, and I could be wrong, but I don't think that would be allowed. Here's the legal gobbledygook:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I said it in the basketball forum, but I really do think we're headed into another "golden age" for GT sports. The "vertical alignment" with coaches, AD, and GT President is there. EVERY single one is pushing for elite results from our sports programs. It starts with the GT President. Cabrera is hitting all the marks, and he's front and center for all the important decisions for the GTAA. Quite the contrast with recent GT Presidents.

Sure it may never be like 1990 where we win the national championship and go to a Final Four in the same year, but I do see us winning 8-10+ games with some major bowl appearances for football, and more appearances in the NCAA tournament for basketball. When we were going through the Collins fiasco, I said it's always darkest before it gets better. I think we're out of the dark phase, and now we're working our way back to normalcy...in the next few years, I think both our flagship programs will start to make noise on the national level.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I said it in the basketball forum, but I really do think we're headed into another "golden age" for GT sports. The "vertical alignment" with coaches, AD, and GT President is there. EVERY single one is pushing for elite results from our sports programs. It starts with the GT President. Cabrera is hitting all the marks, and he's front and center for all the important decisions for the GTAA. Quite the contrast with recent GT Presidents.

Sure it may never be like 1990 where we win the national championship and go to a Final Four in the same year, but I do see us winning 8-10+ games with some major bowl appearances for football, and more appearances in the NCAA tournament for basketball. When we were going through the Collins fiasco, I said it's always darkest before it gets better. I think we're out of the dark phase, and now we're working our way back to normalcy...in the next few years, I think both our flagship programs will start to make noise on the national level.
Totally agree ! I realize I have compared Tech to UW Badgers before, but the UW rebuild started the year after I moved to Wisconsin- 1989. UW Prez Donna Shalala hired Pat Richter as AD , then he hired Barry Alvarez in 1990 and Bo Ryan in 1991. The rest is history. Before Alvarez , the Badgers were "T.F.G. BAD".....in 1989 they went 2-9 , and 1-7 in conference under Don Morton. His 3 year record 6-27, 3-21 in conference. So yes, T.F.B.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
A little salt for a wound that has not fully healed, not once did he say "elite" or "above the line". :p

Every time I read or hear the word "elite" I think of the movie "Heartbreak Ridge":

Sgt. Webster: Me and Maj Powers are building an "EEEE-light" company of fightin' men.
Gunny Highway: Webster, the only thing you could build is a good case of hemmorhoids

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Is it true that sometime between Dodd retiring and Ross arriving the GT administration came close to ending the NCAA sports at GT? I had heard that some supporters went to the then administration and talked them out of it and they were responsible for the hiring of Homer Rice. I've never seen anything official about what I'm asking about, just have always heard it from GT people, so I don't really know.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Is it true that sometime between Dodd retiring and Ross arriving the GT administration came close to ending the NCAA sports at GT? I had heard that some supporters went to the then administration and talked them out of it and they were responsible for the hiring of Homer Rice. I've never seen anything official about what I'm asking about, just have always heard it from GT people, so I don't really know.
Your project for this term is to research Kim King and Joe Pettit (the guy who signed my diploma). Paper due date is 9/1/23.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Pettit (sp?) had no interest in athletics. He was interested in transforming GT from a strong undergraduate institution into having elite graduate programs. He did take the school from being a regional undergraduate school into becoming an internationally recognized institution. It was pretty well known he would have and did consider dropping D1 athletics but thankfully he didn't.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Kind of reminds me of what poor old Joab Thomas, the president of Alabama once supposedly said: "We want to create a university the football team can be proud of" 50 years or so later, it still hasn't happened.