Kevin Robbins has left the team

Animal02

Banned
My wife went into the PhD program in Public Policy (at Tech) after receiving her MS in Physics and HTS (at Tech). She said the math required for Public Policy was no cake walk. Coming from someone with a BS and MS in Physics, I'll say that PP at Tech isn't the typical Liberal Arts school. It might be different at the undergraduate level, but I doubt it.

Even though they are called "liberal arts" at Tech.....they are still B. of Science Degrees.....not B. of Arts.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
There are reasons and there are excuses for actions. Unless a person knows the truth of the matter, it could be one or the other. Even if the information comes from straight from the person, it could still be either a reason or an excuse. With all the fransfers over the past couple of years, and rumors from some of the dissatisfired players , it does leave a question as to "What is going on"? Whether there is any truth to the matter, it still leaves an imprint in my mind that past and future playing time is limited to only the elite, and substitution is limited. A player must feel part of the team and games, or he will not be around very long. Only those who value the education will remain without playing. Those who have the talent to play elsewhere will transfer and still have an education.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The last two kids to get a release (Justin Akins and Kevin Robbins) were both entering Spring Practice as Redshirt Freshmen, with huge opportunities for playing time this year, and possibilities of starting. I'm pretty sure your comments don't reflect their situation. The only other transfer casualty we've had this year was Vad Lee, who was the starting QB last year.

Anthony Williams is a rising senior, about to graduate, who was highly regarded coming out of high school, but for whatever reason, wasn't able to stay ahead of underclassmen at his position. I have no opinion about his skills, but I'm pretty confident that Pelton and Roof are going to put the best players on the field for as long as they're the best players. The same goes for Chaz Cheeks.

The two AB's that have been rumored to be grousing about playing time have built their own beds. One hasn't shown the ability to run the ball effectively (or block), but can catch well, and the other's been in the dog house as long as he's been there. We don't know why, so we shouldn't speculate.

I'm not close to the team or anyone with the team anymore, so I can't comment about the state of the locker-room. I remember from 1994, 2002 and 2007 what division in the locker-room sounded like, this isn't that.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
i know i keep saying it, but robbins and akins are simply why we need to take more numbers in the trenches than we do. Its flat out a position that turns over alot, and injuries and maturity are a big factor....

I think we started doing this though, yes a bit late, ...we just need to do it a few years in a row.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Pro tip: Read all the posts in a thread before contributing, otherwise you'll end up complaining about our DT recruiting in a thread about a transferring DE.
you are WRONG.We are basically recruiting DEs to grow them to DTs if possible as we apparently can't get DTs.This guy was probably on that track also.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
you are WRONG.We are basically recruiting DEs to grow them to DTs if possible as we apparently can't get DTs.This guy was probably on that track also.

Not at all.

Just look at Robbins frame...he is a 270 guy max. He was DE all the way. Not a chance he was going to be a DT.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

He was recruited to be an OLB under Groh. Damn shame he bounced.

GravyTrain

Georgia Tech Fan
Not at all.

Just look at Robbins frame...he is a 270 guy max. He was DE all the way. Not a chance he was going to be a DT.

giphy.gif

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not close to the team or anyone with the team anymore, so I can't comment about the state of the locker-room. I remember from 1994, 2002 and 2007 what division in the locker-room sounded like, this isn't that.

Well the division in the locker room in 2007 was actually primarily the coaches and most of that was on Tenuta. When your DC walks into the locker room after the ACCCG and YELLS in front of the players at the OC WTTE of "If your damn offense could score, we would have won that game. My defense did its job." And when the OC has to then be restrained by the other coaches because he's trying to hit the DC...yeah that creates friction and tension in the locker room for the players.

Edit: for those of you who knew Tenuta, I cleaned up the language a bit from what he said. :p

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well the division in the locker room in 2007 was actually primarily the coaches and most of that was on Tenuta. When your DC walks into the locker room after the ACCCG and YELLS in front of the players at the OC WTTE of "If your damn offense could score, we would have won that game. My defense did its job." And when the OC has to then be restrained by the other coaches because he's trying to hit the DC...yeah that creates friction and tension in the locker room for the players.

Edit: for those of you who knew Tenuta, I cleaned up the language a bit from what he said. :p
He yelled and cursed at Gailey?

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ confirmed today that Akins and Robbins are still in school at the moment and will both leave in good academic standing, so it won't hurt the school's APR. So they were definitely not flunking out as many have stated.

I haven't heard anything about Akins and his decision but the person who told me previously about Robbins (also the one who said he was doing "fine" academically) mentioned there was something else in the decision besides just the major and academics. I don't know what that is though and it would be useless to speculate.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
CPJ confirmed today that Akins and Robbins are still in school at the moment and will both leave in good academic standing, so it won't hurt the school's APR. So they were definitely not flunking out as many have stated.

I haven't heard anything about Akins and his decision but the person who told me previously about Robbins (also the one who said he was doing "fine" academically) mentioned there was something else in the decision besides just the major and academics. I don't know what that is though and it would be useless to speculate.

Could either change their mind

Techster

Helluva Engineer

That's good to hear...especially since a few people on this board wanted to make them examples of how hard it is to keep our athletes eligible. Goes to show, let the dust settle before you start beating on a drum to try to make point.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Akins is having some issues off the field that he's having to deal with right now.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Atkins is having some issues off the field that he's having to deal with right now.

Dang, uniform issues have gotten that bad, huh? Not only does it keep recruits from GT, but it's also making current players quit...smh...

sl1m75

Georgia Tech Fan
No matter the reason I they are leaving (academics, personal reasons, etc). Why can't we just wish these players the best as they move on. The Institute isn't for everyone.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
sl1m75: Personally, I don't fault players when they transfer, it is their career, and they have the right to determine it. However, there is nothing against the fans posting their thoughts about the possibility of reasons for leaving. That is what this board is about, discussions of actions, recruiting, coaches, etal, at GT. Just as my thoughts on the board about the situation combined with other transfers and rumors suggested there could be some kind of internal problems with the team, or between certain members of the team and the coaching.

The coach also has his right to warn the fans about expecting too much from a recruit by putting him on a pedastal. It can have an effect on some athletes and cause them to take practice and learning for granted. Those who think Custis is the best thing since corn flakes would tend to hype him at the expense of a proven Laskey, because they might want him to beat out Laskey. Any opposite discussion to lessen the hype is then seen by others as a degrading remark against Custis, which is untrue.

The internet is here, and the boards are here for all types of discussions. The only things I think the moderators should keep in line are vile language, attacks against other posters, and derogatory remarks against all athletes. Personally, the coaches earn enough money that the remarks against them, unless flagrant, should be allowed. This is a way that the fan has to voice his displeasure with the coaching and team. The fans have this right as they are footing the bill for the coaches and the team through attendance at the games. I would guess that every coach either scans his team's boards occasionally or has someone to monitor them to see the fans gripes, likes, suggestions, etal.