KeShun Freeman

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
One of the bright spots of the spring, no doubt. It's a good thing he came to GT as ready as he is. I don't think anyone foresaw him having as significant a role as he apparently will have.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
im not versed in NCAA regs as much as some guys on here but I am wondering if JHD isnt eligible, does this means he looses a year of eligibility also? or will be at the same level next year?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
KeShun is going to get tossed into the fire this year but it will pay off for him down the road...He is a hard worker and will do his best to get ready for action this year. He has really grown since he has been at Tech and I am sure he will continue to do so in the off-season.

I was expecting him to redshirt before Spring...But with his performance and the loss of JHD it looks like he and Whitehead will be battling for the #1 spot assuming Whitehead gets all the things done at GMC that he needs to do.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes it's good to have to step in and step up as a player. Being battle tested ain't the worse thing for a talented athlete. I think KeShun will do just fine.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
It's never a good thing when you HAVE to play a true freshman. GT is in a position where they may have no other option. Players will typically have a monster 5th year vs. a learning year as a freshman. That's not saying he couldn't have a good year but if I'm a betting man and he's going up against a RS JR or RS SR, I'm taking the older player every time.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
im not versed in NCAA regs as much as some guys on here but I am wondering if JHD isnt eligible, does this means he looses a year of eligibility also? or will be at the same level next year?
You get 5 years to play 4, so if he hadn't redshirted, he could use that year of suspension as a redshirt year. But he has already redshirted his first year. So, yes, he will lose a year of eligibility.

bcaff

Jolly Good Fellow
Whitehead is definitely going to play. He has already lost some eligibility and I think he's coming in as a sophomore. Keshun is 95% going to play this year. However for 2015, could you see KF getting redshirted when JHD gets his eligibility back?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It's never a good thing when you HAVE to play a true freshman. GT is in a position where they may have no other option. Players will typically have a monster 5th year vs. a learning year as a freshman. That's not saying he couldn't have a good year but if I'm a betting man and he's going up against a RS JR or RS SR, I'm taking the older player every time.
I agree. The only scenario that would contradict this is if it was a kid who is an obvious "3-and-done" (NFL). If you redshirt a kid who is 3-and-done, you only get 2 years out of him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Interesting, I assumed the news was good.

Haha...E posted this thread right after we lost Ty Griffin, JHD, and Custis in a span of a week. When I saw this I was thinking "Oh geez...here we go again..."

Personally, and I posted this when we signed him, I thought Keshun was one of the "jewels" of this signing class. I loved his HS film...and I believe he was a high 3 star borderline 4 star. You saw it in his tape.

He's exactly what you want from a highly rated recruit. The ability to contribute in a reserve role his freshmen season, in contention to start or even win the starting spot his 2nd year, and start his last two seasons with All Conference honors. I believe Step Durham has that potential as well.

I just wish we had enough depth so Freeman could RS and develop more physically but "it is what it is".

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Whitehead is definitely going to play. He has already lost some eligibility and I think he's coming in as a sophomore. Keshun is 95% going to play this year. However for 2015, could you see KF getting redshirted when JHD gets his eligibility back?
That would shock me. He's easily in the top group as a true freshman. You can't afford to redshirt players that are the best at their respective position, especially in the trenches. In a perfect world id like him to take a shirt, but we don't live in that world. We need him to play solid minutes now.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Haha...E posted this thread right after we lost Ty Griffin, JHD, and Custis in a span of a week. When I saw this I was thinking "Oh geez...here we go again..."

Personally, and I posted this when we signed him, I thought Keshun was one of the "jewels" of this signing class. I loved his HS film...and I believe he was a high 3 star borderline 4 star. You saw it in his tape.

He's exactly what you want from a highly rated recruit. The ability to contribute in a reserve role his freshmen season, in contention to start or even win the starting spot his 2nd year, and start his last two seasons with All Conference honors. I believe Step Durham has that potential as well.

I just wish we had enough depth so Freeman could RS and develop more physically but "it is what it is".

Absolutely EXACTLY what I thought on his film and would love to have him RS.we could have another JAtt as a SR then for sure- but this losing def players is rotting out the inside of the team. .

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Dude, we and everyone else lose our best Def players every year. I am excited to have a guy like Keyshun who can come in and play as a true freshman on the D line, we haven't had that in a while