Kennesaw State @ GT

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
These guys aren't bad, RPI of 49. Here's their record and some other stats. If they usually give up 5.7 runs, we "should" score more than that and win. But its college baseball so we won't know till it's over. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2015/schedule/Kennesaw-State

I don't know who will start. Ben S? Parr? Or someone else? We need to find another Gold on the staff so I hope it's someone else. Here are the batting / pitching stats so far this year. http://beesball.com/stats2015.html (I really wish there were more fielding stats, especially DPs and plays that the average player can't make.)

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Both Pitts and Stanton have the arms, I think, if we could just get them to trust their stuff and throw strikes. The OBA isn't bad for either guy (0.225 for Pitts and 0.271 for Stanton) but they just KILL themselves with walks, WP's, HBP, etc. Unfortunately, everyone else on the staff hasn't shown much yet. Parr and Scheiderjens are both getting hit pretty hard, as are Datoc and Shelton....all yielding well over 0.300 to opposing hitters. Matt Philips is a walk machine (5 in just 4 innings of work). And that;s all the guys who have pitched. One assumes the guys who haven't even gotten a look are all worse than those who have, so we may just have to keep working with Pitts and Stanton.

As far as who starts tomorrow, I'll guess Schneiderjens. Parr is wilder (more walks than K's while Ben has marginally more K's than walks) and has given up more power hits (7 extra base hits yielded versus 1 for Ben S), so one would guess that Ben is a better project...but I will be the first to say I don't know who actually has the better arm and the better "stuff".

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, we are edging into the top 25 now ..... Baseball America has us at #23 http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/college-top-25-march-16/#.VQcoBzTltcU.beesball

What is disheartening is that no ACC teams are in top 10 after UVa collapse. Louiville, FSU, Miami, UVa, & GT are all.

And GT is #30 in Coaches poll. Coaches still have UVa at #7; I guess some coaches think that a top 10 team getting swept by VT doesn't warrant more punishment. Speaking of punishment, UVa was without their coach ..... I think coaches are overrated for game calling and the assistants do just as well. Where HCs come in is teaching and developing and setting the overall culture and setting the scorecard. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2015/polls/week/6

Looks like the real RPIs come out next week ... the Warren Nolan RPI has us at #6. It's still very early, but better to be higher than lower in the rankings. And nice to be at the top of the ACC rather than looking up like we were last year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just got done my yard work on a beautiful day. Now time to get a drop or two of green food coloring and enjoy each beer ..... and hopefully a GT win.

Parr starting was my second choice after Ben S. But neither has been that good - Parr has a .338 Batting Average against him and Ben S a .358. Add in the walks for each at over 1/2 walk per inning, and ....... time for beer.

Looks like WREK tonight - no ESPN3 which is fine by me. Time to win, right here, right now. There is only the present.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Parr finally replaced. Walked lead off hitter in third, with error gives up two runs. Walks lead off hitter in fourth. Walks two in fifth and finally gets pulled.

At least it's tied with 2 outs and 2 on in the bottom of the fifth. Against a good hitting team would be worse.

Gorst comes in and throws 2 strikes to end inning. Each inning seems to be spin the wheel on control so it will be interesting to the end I'm sure.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
GT pitchers have walked 7 and hit 2 batters tonight, versus only two strikeouts. Three of those have scored against us.