Kelly Quinlan on Chuck Oliver Show

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
This line of thinking is the reason we are doomed to the state we are currently in and it's not accurate which is the most ifuriating to me. The 2 coaches before Johnson had this recruiting thing figured by the time they left. Gailey had his last full class finish in the top 20 and people forget we were on the verge of repeating that feat in 08 when Gailey was fired. We lost Renfroe to Duke and Jenkins to Illinois after Gailey was fired. Both were 4 stars that ended up with pro careers.

Before Gailey we had Oleary whose last 3 classes were in the top 25 and he was prepared to make it 4 before he took the job at ND.

So this line of thinking that GT simply can't be more competitive on the recruiting trail than it currently is is false. Both of our previous 2 coaches had it figured out when they left. Unfortunately Johnson has not figured out what they did.
One coach was fired and the other left for an easier place to recruit. Nobody has been consistent and it's become more difficult.

Milwaukee

Banned
This line of thinking is the reason we are doomed to the state we are currently in and it's not accurate which is the most ifuriating to me. The 2 coaches before Johnson had this recruiting thing figured by the time they left. Gailey had his last full class finish in the top 20 and people forget we were on the verge of repeating that feat in 08 when Gailey was fired. We lost Renfroe to Duke and Jenkins to Illinois after Gailey was fired. Both were 4 stars that ended up with pro careers.

Before Gailey we had Oleary whose last 3 classes were in the top 25 and he was prepared to make it 4 before he took the job at ND.

So this line of thinking that GT simply can't be more competitive on the recruiting trail than it currently is is false. Both of our previous 2 coaches had it figured out when they left. Unfortunately Johnson has not figured out what they did.

Co-sign

The excuses by some literally never end.

"If we succeed it's an anomaly, we are just fortunate to be here and land these athletes that can hack it at an institution such as Tech."

Milwaukee

Banned
I know Cheese, but to sustain good seasons on top of good seasons we simply must recruit better. The current way we do things will produce the 14 season once a decade or two. My expectations are higher than that, and also realistic believe it or not.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Boy howdy, that lousy 3-9 season sure did a number on a bunch of folks. There are some really short memories around here.
1) One person claims we need to average 7+ wins to get coverage from the local media.....but that is exactly what we have done since GOL turned it around 20 years ago. Hasn't helped. The media plays to the masses, and the masses are red and black. They are not going to hype us because we wither under hype.
In 1984 we started out 3-0 by beating Bama, Citadel and Clemson. The sunday after the clemson game, Tech got the headline in the AJC in type size normally reserved for JAPS BOMB PEARL HARBOR. It said THE LEGEND IS BACK. We went 3-4-1 the rest of the way and didnt make a bowl.
2) As for the guy who thinks '14 esque seasons will come once every decade or two, he seems to forget 08, 09 and even 06. The recruiting is no harder or easier than it was in Gailey's tenure and he mostly stunk up the joint recruiting wise. It is harder I believe after OLearys players went through flunk gate. That 07 class is frustrating because it was CCG's last class and it makes you wonder if he was just getting it figured out...or was it the anomaly some seem to think.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I'd love for you to show me where anyone on the staff has ever said anything remotely similar to this.

I'm wagering that you can't.

Say vs actual actions. You have never seen us not give out all our ships for a class? Really?

I am wagering that it has happened a lot more than not.

And I never said "the staff." Good ole GT reading comp.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
IMO the reporting and attention from the national media seems pretty fair. I don't believe we will ever get more attention in the Atlanta media. In 1990, I don't think Ga Tech made the front page of the Sunday AJC. UGA was on the front page most weeks, and on the top fold of the Sports Section. Ga Tech was relegated to either the bottom fold of the sports section, or the second page of the sports section almost all year. That was a year in which Tech was 11-0-1 and UGA was 4-7. The Atlanta media(paper, radio, TV) have a lot of UGA grads working for them. They cater to the UGA fans. Our "flagship" radio station has shows all week long about UGA sports and barely mentions Tech. I believe that if Tech were to win 10 MNCs in a row, that the national media would be all over the program, but the Atlanta media would hype the latest mutt recruit and list all the reasons that this is finally the year that the mutts will win the MNC.

No way you saw the paper after the uvag game then. When we do what we need to do, we get the coverage. Even an azzwipe like Bradley said we would win the national championship in MBB.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Boy howdy, that lousy 3-9 season sure did a number on a bunch of folks. There are some really short memories around here.
1) One person claims we need to average 7+ wins to get coverage from the local media.....but that is exactly what we have done since GOL turned it around 20 years ago. Hasn't helped. The media plays to the masses, and the masses are red and black. They are not going to hype us because we wither under hype.
In 1984 we started out 3-0 by beating Bama, Citadel and Clemson. The sunday after the clemson game, Tech got the headline in the AJC in type size normally reserved for JAPS BOMB PEARL HARBOR. It said THE LEGEND IS BACK. We went 3-4-1 the rest of the way and didnt make a bowl.
2) As for the guy who thinks '14 esque seasons will come once every decade or two, he seems to forget 08, 09 and even 06. The recruiting is no harder or easier than it was in Gailey's tenure and he mostly stunk up the joint recruiting wise. It is harder I believe after OLearys players went through flunk gate. That 07 class is frustrating because it was CCG's last class and it makes you wonder if he was just getting it figured out...or was it the anomaly some seem to think.

A lot of this is true, but we need to consider who the average 7 wins are against. Dodd / Harrison could not have cut out throats better with a brand new wilkinson sword razor blade.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Co-sign

The excuses by some literally never end.

"If we succeed it's an anomaly, we are just fortunate to be here and land these athletes that can hack it at an institution such as Tech."
Ok then. What is an acceptable level of recruiting at GT given our current situation and what is your plan for getting us there?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
What's kinda funny is that most rational folks understand the academic hurdle at GT. It's a freeking stem school. I knew it when they were recruiting me in 1979. No way in hell I was going to GT. I had zero intentions of taking math heavy classes. I went to Troy State then UGA. Never took a math class beyond basic math. I have a calculator on my phone. Embrace the fact that GT competes w actual students going to real classes. At least we are not on here bitching about how unfair the police are, how tough our drug policy is. Poor players can't just smoke weed all the time.. If a Old Dawg can figure it out.

now that's funny

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I was wondering that too. I also thought that others on this site have done the math each year and we actually end up as close to the NCAA roster limit of scholarship players (from offers) as any of our competitors, such as Clemson. I am always amazed that with all the variables Tech is able to cut it as close as they are.

Of course, how Alabama does it is much different. One Alabama blog does an article once a year that is basically guessing who is on scholarship and who is not because Alabama keeps about 95 or more people on the roster at all times but plays it close to the vest as to revealing who actually has a scholarship.
Yes, and the poster seems to assume -- and maybe I am assuming his assumption -- that the scholarships are "held open" vs. "open up" with departures, early graduations and the like. Moreover, being able to give a walk-on a full ride after a couple of seasons of head butting in the trenches for nothing, so to speak, would seem a real plus to me. Hard work can be rewarded, and once in awhile you'll get a Godhigh out of it. I'd guess they make excellent practice players because of that.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Finally listened to the interview.
I heard a ton of selling points.
Top 10 Market
Midtown Atlanta
High Academics
Internships
In the SE
Major Conference

I work in a Title 1 highschool in Dekalb Co and while the majority of football players have knuckleheads a large chunk doesn't. The starting QB would be the ideal type (high GPA, stand up, polished, being recruited by Buford) for GT. GT has to find those types and recruit to them sale them on life after football, being a millionaire, and the activities towards success after football.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Finally listened to the interview.
I heard a ton of selling points.
Top 10 Market
Midtown Atlanta
High Academics
Internships
In the SE
Major Conference

I work in a Title 1 highschool in Dekalb Co and while the majority of football players have knuckleheads a large chunk doesn't. The starting QB would be the ideal type (high GPA, stand up, polished, being recruited by Buford) for GT. GT has to find those types and recruit to them sale them on life after football, being a millionaire, and the activities towards success after football.
If one in six is a certified millionaire -- a claim and statistic I am, how to say, skeptical of, just think if only one in 12 donated to GT's athletic program. Or the general scholarship fund. (And help me out with Buford. I am drawing a complete blank even in association. As long as it is not Baylor. That whole team might wind up in jail.)

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
If one in six is a certified millionaire -- a claim and statistic I am, how to say, skeptical of, just think if only one in 12 donated to GT's athletic program. Or the general scholarship fund. (And help me out with Buford. I am drawing a complete blank even in association. As long as it is not Baylor. That whole team might wind up in jail.)

I'm dubious of the claim as well, but Buford is a high school in Gwinnett. It's one of the most dominant football programs in the state.