Keep the Faith

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I am just about ready to check out from reading the stupidity on message boards...

The whole situation reminds me of the Alex Smith Wars on 49er message boards a few years ago. Except now it has to do with CPJ. It seems like so many Tech fans have invested so much of their fandom into hating him. They're pretty quiet when things are going well but when any trouble pops up they jump up and down and scream "I TOLD YOU SO. I WAS RIGHT." Then post sarcastic remarks everywhere and belittle those who disagree. It's really embarrassing.

I swear to Sweet Jesus - judging by the commentary I see from 80% of the posters, they're either dogs chasing squirrels or 3rd graders who want what they want when they want it and can't understand why they can't have it - now...

Agreed. I'll probably get destroyed for saying this but most Tech fans are delusional and need to get a grip. But really you could say this about most sports fans.

I feel like we made to many mistakes to beat Duke. The game last night we went up against a high powered talented offense and one false start put us 4 points behind the whole game. I don't think we face many teams left on our schedule that can score like they can except the last two games. Also, maybe it was just Duke and UNC time to beat us like we finally beat VT and Miami.
Brilliant!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I will only add this. There is nothing wrong with the D scheming I can see. What has happened is that we don't have a DE yet who can take advantage of it.

We nearly had Williams last night several times. We had people hanging on him or about to and he'd get the pass off. That's more indicative of a lack of talent in our DEs then any coaching problem. If Hunt-Days and Whitehead were out there, I think we'd have a different story in both our loses.

As to the DBs, due to the blitzes they were often in the worst situation last night: one-on-one with really good skill players. I noted with chagrin that the good tackling we saw against VT and Miami was not in evidence last night, but that's largely because we tired out; the Holes ran 89 plays. And that was largely because it was a shoot-out; Ds never do that well in those. Still, we returned to the regrettable tendency of trying to knock people off their feet, instead of wrapping them up. That will not, repeat not, work against Pitt.

But we can still win the next three. The thing on our side is that none of those teams is anywhere near as talented on O as UNC. If you look at the box score for UNC - Notre Dame (a team with a pretty good D) you'll see why I was worried about last night. That game was just like ours, except we didn't have the ball last. Play just a bit better on D against Pitt, UVA, and NCSt - and I don't doubt we can do that - and we'll do ok.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I am just about ready to check out from reading the stupidity on message boards... I swear to Sweet Jesus - judging by the commentary I see from 80% of the posters, they're either dogs chasing squirrels or 3rd graders who want what they want when they want it and can't understand why they can't have it - now...

We ALL know that, for several years, GT has not recruited enough good, fast, talented players... despite this, we've gone to bowls, and we've competed for the ACC championship... We've been in almost all the games we've lost, down to the wire in many cases... A couple years ago, finally put into place changes that will allow us to recruit to our potential... That's paying off... But THIS PAST OFFSEASON, we had the sort of attrition that would devastate ANY TEAM ON OUR SCHEDULE... We were not immune to its effects, and we are seeing the consequences - both in the earlier wins we enjoyed and in the more recent defeats we've suffered...

It isn't on the coaches - Roof can coach, but he has to pick his poison, the way things are... And it is certainly not on CPJ - he's a hell of a coach to have the success he's had, which is no worse than any other coach we've had recently or any other coach we can imagine hiring...

The class coming in is extremely promising, as is Whitehead and others we'll have back on defense... Once the defensive pieces are in place, we'll be a dominant force in the ACC - as long as we're not stupid enough to fire the one coach who's probably most well suited for us...

The "bowl streak" is becoming, in relation to any true benefits, nauseating. We certainly have not been able to capitalize on it, and mention it as a point of accomplishment to any of our true rivals and you are likely to get sprayed by coca cola coming out of the nose.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The "bowl streak" is becoming, in relation to any true benefits, nauseating. We certainly have not been able to capitalize on it, and mention it as a point of accomplishment to any of our true rivals and you are likely to get sprayed by coca cola coming out of the nose.
You would know.

Animal02

Banned

Starting the season 5-0 benefiting from the extra weeks of practice in Dec......no, that is not capitalizing anything at all /sarcasm

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Hmmm... Well, as a GT fan, I strongly prefer that we qualify for and play in bowl games - versus not doing so... The benefit to me personally is that a) I get one more precious month of football season during which I can look forward following the team, and b) I actually get to cheer on our football team one more time...

If you are nauseated by or indifferent to our success at qualifying for and participating in bowl games, I guess that pretty much says it all in regards to the sort of fan you are...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You have to have a really bad season to miss out on the bowls. Who wants that? To say we are one of a small fraternity of teams NOT TO HAVE HAD A REALLY BAD SEASON IN A REALLY LONG TIME says a lot in my book.

LarryMunson

Jolly Good Fellow
The way I forsee the bowl streak: either we'll be the necessary sixth win for ugag and we break their streak or the reverse will hold true.

I'd rather be the team that breaks the uga bowl streak than have them break ours.

(Reminder- we are tied with the mutts for consecutive years in a bowl game.)

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

Well ask them why they haven't done it then?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Silas, most of your posts make me spray Coca Cola out my nose. :cool:

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I think we've got the right DC. Of course I would've loved to keep Tenuta. But, I do think we finally have somebody leading the defense who is actually competent and can put a good defense on the field when given some good personnel. We know Roof can put a good defense on the field, even at GT from looking at 2000. Actually, you can see the same exact scenario played out at GT from his prior tenure here under a completely DIFFERENT HEAD COACH! We had personnel issues in 1999 and with the 2nd best offense in the country and one of the worst defenses, we still went 8-4 or something like that and the best player in the country didn't win the Heisman. Then in 2000 we made a significant jump in defensive personnel improvement and had one of the better defenses in the country (top 10 or top 20 or something), and went 10-2 with an offense that wasn't quite as good but still very good with Godsey.

That could very well happen with what we've got going on at GT now. Give Roof a few more good players over the next year or two and I think he'll get the defense into the top 30, which is a good place to be. Do that, and we'll be where we all want to be. We know it can happen because we all saw it 14 short years ago.