Justin Thomas is an Early Candidate for the Heisman Trophy

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
During certain stretches of the Capital One Orange Bowl, it was tough to tell if Justin Thomas of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets was doing his impersonation of Russell Wilson of the Seattle Seahawks, or if his triple-option improvisation had been an upgrade and we were seeing the rise of Russell Wilson 2.0.

If Thomas can be the MVP of the Orange Bowl, then he can certainly become a 2015 Heisman contender

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-foot...s-an-early-candidate-for-2015-heisman-trophy/

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I had never heard of the word "interstitially" prior to reading that article. I had to look it up.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
With the option I doubt he can get the stats every game that'd he'd need to win the hiesman. Some games teams are going to focus on Thomas. Opening up everyone else for plays, but also taking Thomas' stats down a notch.

thwgjacket

With the option I doubt he can get the stats every game that'd he'd need to win the hiesman. Some games teams are going to focus on Thomas. Opening up everyone else for plays, but also taking Thomas' stats down a notch.
Idk about next year but with the OL we'll have in '16 and his speed he may be able to get 100 yards a game rushing on just QB draws. I think he had over 40 on just 2 in the OB.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Idk about next year but with the OL we'll have in '16 and his speed he may be able to get 100 yards a game rushing on just QB draws. I think he had over 40 on just 2 in the OB.
He can't break a big run everytime he runs it. That's just not realistic. I don't see him breaking a 100 ypg on the ground due to defenses keying on him.

thwgjacket

He can't break a big run everytime he runs it. That's just not realistic. I don't see him breaking a 100 ypg on the ground due to defenses keying on him.
Or can he? There are multiple ways to get the QB in space in this offense and have him be the "feature" back. QB draw is just one way. Then you have QB follow, the bootleg we began using more in the NC State game and of course his scrambling ability. Coupled with a '16 line that should be massive and able to move, anchored by Devine and Griffin with Burden, Fromayon and Brown on it as well. We're talking a line that could average 6'5 310 in a couple years and be really good.

thwgjacket

Idk if Greg Hill averaged 100 yards a game in a season but I do know he averaged 9.1 yards per carry one season. With the speed JeT has the offensive production this year may be just the tip of the iceberg.

stevo0718

Georgia Tech Fan
I dunno in general I don't think players from our team could win the heisman due to the nature of what we do... Spread the ball around.

But if Dwyer can be ACC POY then maybe Thomas can be a real contender.

I mean this year Thomas had an 80 yarder called back. Which would have put him at like 1200. I'm honestly surprised he didn't have more huge plays like that this year out running people deep.

I think next year he may have a 200 yard game against Alcorn and not play the second half. A couple games like that and he is for reals. His end of year stats will look great but will have the occasional game where he only gains 60 yards.

He was electric in the OB and his ankle looked healthy and you could see the burst that was missing since that duke game. A couple more huge plays plus a year like this year and he will be ACCPOY candidate . Which I suppose makes him a heisman contender

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To win a Heisman, the player has to be good and lucky. And play on a top 10 team. There are too many other top 10 teams with stellar passing QBs and ungodly elusive RBs who will stay in front of JT ..... and have a much larger alumni / fan base to support them.

{GT has never won the Heisman even with the great players we've had. It's a curse to even talk about it in advance of the performance on the field.}

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't want to see a Heisman campaign. Back in 2010 I remember watching a video promoting Nesbitt for Heisman and then a week later watching us lose to a Kansas team that had lost to a FCS team the week before and only won 2 more games all season.

jason72

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't really care about awards but the orange bowl was the first time it seemed like JT decided he was going to just take over the game and not be stopped. If he plays that way all year next year his numbers will be unreal and we may be undefeated.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
As an aside,

In seasons GT has won 10 or more games in a season our win total for the next seasons have been

3, 7, 12, 4, 8, 8, 6.

As DC Bee said.