Justin Thomas has GT believing

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
CPJ is just confirming what most fans already knew. CPJ gave Vad every chance to be the future QB but Vad didn't want to buy in to the option and he decided to move on. I don't understand why some fans want to over-analyze everything that CPJ says.

I don't think my comments were a result of an over-analyzation, and I don't think I read too much into his comments. My whole issue was I think the comments were too direct. But if I'm the only one that took an issue with it, then that's a good thing and I'd be more than happy to be wrong.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
When I read that (and bring in context of following the team and every interview CPJ has done closely), then I think CPJ actually sounds sympathetic for Vad. He indicated that Vad did not truly have the reins of leadership as even some of his teammates weren't on board with him and so on. Then he ends by saying that ultimately it is his fault as head coach for not picking up on it early enough. However, his picking up on it earlier would have led to the same result. He would have moved Thomas up to the starter and Vad would have transferred. No biggie, this is a pretty straightforward exposition of what transpired.

I think the JMU coach could say something similar. Didn't they have a returning starting QB but then he brought in Vad as a transfer and he went on to take the starting job and lead them to a great season? I don't see why Vad or CPJ need have much in the way of regrets at this point and they surely have moved on by now; hence they can be clinical about the past.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
There was a game in 2013 where Jamal Golden was tweeting during the game calling for JT to get in the game. It was either the VT or Miami game. Now we know that it was a widespread thing. That's tough for everyone involved and it never ends well. And it ended with the worst PJ offense in his tenure.

I'm glad that it eventually worked out for everyone involved.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
CPJ is just confirming what most fans already knew. CPJ gave Vad every chance to be the future QB but Vad didn't want to buy in to the option and he decided to move on. I don't understand why some fans want to over-analyze everything that CPJ says.

Especially since PJ defended Vad at every turn during his radio show that year.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I agree with literally everything posted here. If CPJ was asked specifically about Vad and really couldn't get around it then I can cut him some slack. But he has been pretty hard on him publicly in the past, and I don't know if he had to take it as far as he did (player not liking him).

And yes, I think we'll miss Deon on the edge the most - really wish he could have gotten more opportunities with the ball in his hands but he was extremely underrated in every aspect of his game.
Johnson is a big boy and can take care of himself. I don't have a big problem with what he said though I get it that some might. But blaming the messenger on this after another thread is filled with the tell-it-like-it-is crotchety Johnson is really a hummingbird, I mean a 180. Tell you what: betcha Johnson will own his comments, even if in retrospect he might wish to have phrased it differently. The nut of the piece is this: Johnson has his option QB, he believes in him, maybe the first time in seven years he was comfortable with a QB here, and aside from his considerable skills, he does have the "it" and the players will follow him anywhere. Now there is the glow of success around the football program. And from another poster about GT's "weird" offense, for heaven's sake, it is an option offense, older than the forward pass. Nothing more, nothing less. Just better. Name the A backs running backs and the B back fullback, and nobody would think twice. It is just plain old option football run with speed and quickness nobody has seen before.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think my comments were a result of an over-analyzation, and I don't think I read too much into his comments. My whole issue was I think the comments were too direct. But if I'm the only one that took an issue with it, then that's a good thing and I'd be more than happy to be wrong.
I didn't read that in to the article when I read it. I think it would be pretty far fetched to think it would hurt recruiting.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Johnson is a big boy and can take care of himself. I don't have a big problem with what he said though I get it that some might. But blaming the messenger on this after another thread is filled with the tell-it-like-it-is crotchety Johnson is really a hummingbird, I mean a 180. Tell you what: betcha Johnson will own his comments, even if in retrospect he might wish to have phrased it differently. The nut of the piece is this: Johnson has his option QB, he believes in him, maybe the first time in seven years he was comfortable with a QB here, and aside from his considerable skills, he does have the "it" and the players will follow him anywhere. Now there is the glow of success around the football program. And from another poster about GT's "weird" offense, for heaven's sake, it is an option offense, older than the forward pass. Nothing more, nothing less. Just better. Name the A backs running backs and the B back fullback, and nobody would think twice. It is just plain old option football run with speed and quickness nobody has seen before.

If you are referring to my comment on our "weird" offense, then you 100% took that out of context. I would never personally call our offense weird or anything with a negative connotation, but I'm sure head coaches at our rival schools do. In my opinion, I don't know how anyone can disagree with that. Regardless, that was completely beyond my original point, which I think people probably would have agreed with this time last year.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
So, let's see if this thread can get fresh life.

After they make the point that Thomas had a bevy of Seniors to rely on here is what he has to say about this year's group: "They might not have as much experience, but with me being back there, I can’t do it all myself," Thomas said. "I have to still rely on those guys, so I have to instill in them that I trust in them. I’m not just going to try and take the reins all by myself. Everybody back there has a job and I’m expecting them to do that job and I’m trusting them to do it."

The offense is statistically at its best when the QB distributes really well, or basically, takes the proper option based on what the defense does. He won't have all the proven commodities so it could mean defenses will be even more interested in making him give or pitch. So now he has the challenge of boosting all these younger guys confidence and helping get them ready to perform. I hope we get some twitter news or other reports over the summer that he is working on all facets (meshes w/ BB's and pitches w/ AB's) and not just the passing game 7 vs 7's.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There was a game in 2013 where Jamal Golden was tweeting during the game calling for JT to get in the game. It was either the VT or Miami game. Now we know that it was a widespread thing. That's tough for everyone involved and it never ends well. And it ended with the worst PJ offense in his tenure.

I remember that. I also remember a player (may have been Jemea Thomas) tweeting a picture of JeT as a t-FR with the caption "The Future" and that was when EVERYONE thought Vad was the going to be the next big thing for GT football.

OTOH...I also remember a bunch of players being excited about adding the pistol and diamond formation, and recruits saying publicly how much CPJ told them he wanted to "expand the offense" and "throw the ball more". I also remember players saying how the offense would be more explosive under Vad, and how much talent he had. At the end of the day, CPJ made the conscious decision to install those formations and concepts during the two seasons leading up to 2013, so CPJ can't be totally clean in this. I wasn't in the living room when Vad was recruited, but I do know he was SUPER excited about something CPJ said about the offense...and I don't believe it was all "triple option offense all the time".

A lot of the quotes can be misconstrued, and I think the media knows the pot they're stirring and just want to get a good quote...which CPJ gave. At the end of the day, it's what CPJ said last year, players are going to support the guy that gets them to where they want to go...which is win a championship. I think CPJ meant well when he recruited Vad, but sometimes things just work out the way you plan it.

No need for anyone to really say anything negative about Vad or Vad about GT. Vad has actually been pretty supportive of his old GT teammates, and as far as I know, has never disparaged GT or the staff.

I think GT and Vad are both in better places now.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If you are referring to my comment on our "weird" offense, then you 100% took that out of context. I would never personally call our offense weird or anything with a negative connotation, but I'm sure head coaches at our rival schools do. In my opinion, I don't know how anyone can disagree with that. Regardless, that was completely beyond my original point, which I think people probably would have agreed with this time last year.
Understood.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm just glad he left when he did. At first, I didn't feel that way, but can you imagine the qb controversy that would have erupted last year had he stayed?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Hadn't heard that but if true it tell us a lot about the atmosphere on that team that a player would even consider having a cell phone on the sideline. Or a coach would permit it.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
When I read that (and bring in context of following the team and every interview CPJ has done closely), then I think CPJ actually sounds sympathetic for Vad. He indicated that Vad did not truly have the reins of leadership as even some of his teammates weren't on board with him and so on. Then he ends by saying that ultimately it is his fault as head coach for not picking up on it early enough. However, his picking up on it earlier would have led to the same result. He would have moved Thomas up to the starter and Vad would have transferred. No biggie, this is a pretty straightforward exposition of what transpired.

I think the JMU coach could say something similar. Didn't they have a returning starting QB but then he brought in Vad as a transfer and he went on to take the starting job and lead them to a great season? I don't see why Vad or CPJ need have much in the way of regrets at this point and they surely have moved on by now; hence they can be clinical about the past.
I gather Lee left in good academic standing, so it seems evident that a player who could stay academically eligible at Tech for three years could learn an offense, no matter how clever or sophisticated, and physically he seemed to fit the mold. It kind of leaves us with issues of leadership or commitment to the offense. When he bumped down a level with an offense he could buy into, he had a great season. This season I am going to try to find JMU on TV and watch one of his games. Good for him. Good for Tech.