Justin Thomas for Heisman in 2015?

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I think he does too, but it will be dependent upon where the team finishes the season, which in large part will be indicative of how JT's season went.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
We would have to go undefeated and he would have to put up some insane numbers to have a shot...which doesn't seem too unlikely ;)

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
Joe absolutely deserved the Heisman, but the team lost one (or two) too many games for him to win it. Make the playoffs next year or '16 and JT will be a contindah. Make the playoffs both years and it will be his in '16.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It begs the question, can an option qb win the Heisman today? I know it's happened in the past, but there is a stigma attached today. I think yes. A guy like JT can have insane numbers with the right personnel around him, especially pass catchers.

I just wish pitches counted as passing yards. They call it a backwards pass, why not give the qb some credit? In fact, a dropped pitch is much worse than a dropped forward pass, so it's much riskier. Heck, a 5 yard dump pass in the flat counts as passing yards for the qb.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Last heisman campaign didn't work out well for us. Not saying it affected Nesbit all that much but I would have preferred he let his play speak for itself.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
He'll be in the discussion if we win some big games early, but I don't think he has much of a shot. He just won't have the numbers to compete with guys like [insert Ohio State QB], [insert Oregon QB], and [insert Wisconsion RB].

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
The main reason I see it being tough is that you can't dictate JT's opportunities. If you do, you're pigeon-holing your offense. The defense can force JT to be the distributor rather than the carrier and thus his numbers won't pile up. Of course, that's what makes our overall offense great... so, I'd rather start a campaign for "Justin Thomas for Championship QB in 2015".

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
To counter my own argument, Eric Crouch won the Heisman. If that's the precedent, then yes, Justin Thomas should at least have a shot.

Check out Crouch's numbers in his Heisman season:

Rushing: 1115 yds and 18 TDs
Passing: 1510 yds, 7 TDs and 10 INTs

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
To counter my own argument, Eric Crouch won the Heisman. If that's the precedent, then yes, Justin Thomas should at least have a shot.

Check out Crouch's numbers in his Heisman season:

Rushing: 1115 yds and 18 TDs
Passing: 1510 yds, 7 TDs and 10 INTs

different era.. apples & oranges.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Crouch also never really should’ve won it. David Carr has Marriota numbers that year and if they wanted to go by competition then Grossman should’ve at least won it. Anyways that’s old news.

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
Crouch also never really should’ve won it. David Carr has Marriota numbers that year and if they wanted to go by competition then Grossman should’ve at least won it. Anyways that’s old news.

You're right. David Carr put up unreal numbers, but he still ended up #5 in voting. Actually, pretty much everyone had better #'s than him. I guess they made their votes after watching him win big games. Much the same way I hope they will give JT a chance if he doesn't put up 4000+ yards of Total Off.

2001 Heisman Voting
Rk
Player School Class Pos Summary
1 Eric Crouch Nebraska SR QB - 770 points- 105 Cmp, 189 Att, 1510 Yds, 7 TD, 10 Int
2 Rex Grossman Florida SO QB - 708 points - 259 Cmp, 395 Att, 3896 Yds, 34 TD, 12 Int
3 Ken Dorsey Miami (FL) JR QB - 638 points - 184 Cmp, 318 Att, 2652 Yds, 23 TD, 9 Int
4 Joey Harrington* Oregon SR QB - 364 points - 214 Cmp, 364 Att, 2764 Yds, 27 TD, 6 Int
5 David Carr* Fresno State SR QB - 280 points - 344 Cmp, 533 Att, 4839 Yds, 46 TD, 9 Int
6 Antwaan Randle El Indiana SR QB - 267 points - 118 Cmp, 231 Att, 1664 Yds, 9 TD, 5 Int
7 Roy Williams Oklahoma JR DB - 146 points - 5 Int, 25 Yds, 0 TD
8 Bryant McKinnie Miami (FL) SR OL - 116 points
9 Dwight Freeney Syracuse SR DL - 42 points
10 Julius Peppers North Carolina JR DL - 41 points - 3 Int, 42 Yds, 1 TD

ITJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I think JT will need around 3000 yards total offense and 30 TDs to get consideration. Maybe 2000 passing / 1000 rushing and TDs split 15/15.

Edit: We'll also need to be ACC Champs and in the playoff.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I forgot about Ken Dorsey being in contention. He was in there specifically because he was the QB on the best team. For having Andre Johnson and Jeremy Shockey to throw to those numbers are terrible. He threw 0 TD’s and 4 INT’s at Boston College and still finished as a strong 3rd candidate.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
JT's name will be mentioned. Navy's QB was mentioned this year. A lot will hinge on whether we win, just like for every other candidate. If we're a playoff team, he will be under consideration.