Justin Thomas for Heisman in 2015?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I doubt he will get much consideration more than a passing mention if we have a big season. The biggest reason for this is that he loses all the goal line carries to Byerly (which I'm fine with). If an option QB is going to win it, they need to have a good completion percentage, huge TD/INT ratio (JTs was great this year), have video game rushing numbers (100 ryp & 20+ TDs), and have their team in the playoff. Just too much ball distribution to overcome the video game numbers other QBs will have.

JT only has 5 rushing TDs this season in 13 games. That's not going to win a Heisman. And again, I'm not upset about it because he was probably Top 5 in the country this year in terms of effectively running his team's offense.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
IMHO it will take 2 years for him to get strong consideration. A strong year with at least 2 high profile wins against Dwags, FSU, NotreDame with improved offensive numbers overall next year would put him in the 2016 preseason lists.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I doubt he will get much consideration more than a passing mention if we have a big season. The biggest reason for this is that he loses all the goal line carries to Byerly (which I'm fine with). If an option QB is going to win it, they need to have a good completion percentage, huge TD/INT ratio (JTs was great this year), have video game rushing numbers (100 ryp & 20+ TDs), and have their team in the playoff. Just too much ball distribution to overcome the video game numbers other QBs will have.

JT only has 5 rushing TDs this season in 13 games. That's not going to win a Heisman. And again, I'm not upset about it because he was probably Top 5 in the country this year in terms of effectively running his team's offense.
Remember that long run he had for a td that was called back due to an illegal block? If he has 6 or 7 of those (not called back), he'll be right in the mix.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
While I thought he was worthy of the trophy, I felt Nesbitt's Heisman campaign was a distraction.

Yeah, I think a QB in our system can earn the Heisman, but it has to be in our system. If our QB pursues Heisman numbers, it could take him out of the system.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Not about hiesman unless you want to consider the following ideas.

Just thought of something - ACC qb's
Last year we faced seniors ( clemson, vt , Mia ) that played in senior bowl. When we played these teams the play by play guys really talked them up - they severely under performed at senior bowl.
This year - all qbs we faced were average except clemson freshman and jw at fsu. JT came in balling - saved some early games them just ran the team till last of uga - clutch.
Next year Clem , Mia, gt Qbs will get publicity. Against UGA , FSU, ND their seniors are gone.

This will be a good opportunity to shine ( for players and gt fans who show up ) in some major prime TV time spotlights. The networks will not forget the ratings of gt fsu in ACC champ. Also the last two overtime games Uga vs gt are an easy sell as is the historic rival game of gt verses nd.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One of the main reasons for our success this year has been chemistry and unselfishness, players sacrificing for the good of the team. A Heisman campaign kind of goes against this mentality, so I hope we don't do it. If we finish the year in the 4-team playoff and the offense plays lights out all year long, then our QB will be in the discussion. But I am willing to bet that every player on our team, including JT, will tell you they would rather have an opportunity to play for a National Championship that win individual awards.
I hope that would be true.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
It would be very easy for the GTAA to keep track of yards gained off JTs pitches, and if we're having the kind of season that would merit consideration for the award then start pushing it to the media. We do have some big games to make a good impression, so anything is possible. Who would have ever thought a QB at Baylor could win it?
The Heisman does need to come home though. Joe Ham almost did it, maybe he guides JT like Miyagi did Daniel-san

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Last heisman campaign didn't work out well for us. Not saying it affected Nesbit all that much but I would have preferred he let his play speak for itself.
So how does one become a contender for the Heisman?
Campaigns tend not to work but that is not always true.
Players have to be good on the field but that does not mean the best athlete always wins or even gets recognized in the voting.
Being on offense seems to be an almost absolute requirement any more.
The media seems to need to be preset toward watching certain players before the season begins.
You have to win a big game and have a good season as a team.
Group think and pack mentality have to kick in so that writers can have the comfort of colleagues to agree with so that they can look wise.
Your chances are slim if you are not in a "name" program or considered in the upper tier of a power five conference.
You probably need really gaudy statistics to make it easier to vote for you since grading perfectly on film is hard to explain to the masses of casual fans.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I guess this is why I am so luke warm towards these kinds of awards campaigns etc. I could really carel less about winning "perception wars" and would just rather win the contests.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
While I thought he was worthy of the trophy, I felt Nesbitt's Heisman campaign was a distraction.

Agreed. Made GT look silly when it became an absolute failure.

But I am willing to bet that every player on our team, including JT, will tell you they would rather have an opportunity to play for a National Championship that win individual awards.

I'll bet all the GT fans too, including this one. If the selection committee wants to make the award about individual statistics, I can't imagine a QB or RB winning the award in this offense. A WR or a defensive player perhaps, but we probably won't see another Ndamukong Suh type defensive player win it in our lifetimes.

Last edited: