Justin Thomas 2013 highlights

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The "loaf of bread" worries me more. I noticed that all the way back in his high school video and he's still doing it! The pitch is not that big a deal to me. Actually, it shows good awareness of his immediate surroundings. To be honest, there's no defender near the pitch back, in fact, there's no defender within 5 yards of him. The only way that play blows up is if the guy at his feet somehow knocks his arm which is highly unlikely. I say good play.
Rewatching that play several times, it may be a busted read on the triple option. The DE makes no move on the B back and heads straight for Thomas. It should have been a give. On the other hand, the DE was so quick into the backfield, it should have been a tackle for a loss. Nobody but JT eludes that DE on that play.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The "loaf of bread" worries me more. I noticed that all the way back in his high school video and he's still doing it! The pitch is not that big a deal to me. Actually, it shows good awareness of his immediate surroundings. To be honest, there's no defender near the pitch back, in fact, there's no defender within 5 yards of him. The only way that play blows up is if the guy at his feet somehow knocks his arm which is highly unlikely. I say good play.

As long as the play is made when he's in the grasp that's great. Just don't want it to become a habit and evolve into a "forced" low percentage play due to over confidence.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
You're wrong. Teams will get an occasional clean shot on JT. It just wont have anything to do with the option. It will be on a drop back pass play where the blind side tackle gets beat like a rented mule.
There is a sack he took against Miami that is this exact case.

I like how he has a quick release and also is low to the ground so he seems to be extremely explosive and shiftier than we've had. He reminds me of manziel with how he throws a tight spiral no matter how his body is aligned.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Rewatching that play several times, it may be a busted read on the triple option. The DE makes no move on the B back and heads straight for Thomas. It should have been a give. On the other hand, the DE was so quick into the backfield, it should have been a tackle for a loss. Nobody but JT eludes that DE on that play.

I think you're right on both counts. That looks like an easy give.
Amazing move by JT to get yardage though.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I really am not worried about JT taking big hits to be honest...He is small and quick. He is going to be hard to get a good hit off of...especially if he runs with a good low pad level. Vad was tall and tended to run a little high...leaves a big target to lay a good hit on ala the UNC game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I really am not worried about JT taking big hits to be honest...He is small and quick. He is going to be hard to get a good hit off of...especially if he runs with a good low pad level. Vad was tall and tended to run a little high...leaves a big target to lay a good hit on ala the UNC game.

I saw JT get crushed against our 1st team D a few times during 2013 Spring scrimmages. He also got knocked out during the Miami game...sure it wasn't an "option" play, but passing and standing in the pocket is part of our offense as well.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Alot of small QBs have been successful running the TO and avoiding devastating injuries. I think JT will follow suit with his predecessors. If he puts on another layer of muscle he will be fine. Theres not much difference in 175lbs cut up or 200lbs of big. Ive fluctuated between 170 and 250 from high school(17) to now(26). 250 in HS playing basketball, muscle mass and weight lifting abilities. Got down to 170 at around 22 yrs old and got myself in good shape around 190lbs and cut. I could have taken more of a beating at 190 than at 250 but I wasnt as powerful in my upper body.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Alot of small QBs have been successful running the TO and avoiding devastating injuries. I think JT will follow suit with his predecessors. If he puts on another layer of muscle he will be fine. Theres not much difference in 175lbs cut up or 200lbs of big. Ive fluctuated between 170 and 250 from high school(17) to now(26). 250 in HS playing basketball, muscle mass and weight lifting abilities. Got down to 170 at around 22 yrs old and got myself in good shape around 190lbs and cut. I could have taken more of a beating at 190 than at 250 but I wasnt as powerful in my upper body.

I equate getting hit in football to getting hit in martial arts. If you know how to minimize it (making yourself a smaller target, no "clean shots, etc.) getting hit won't do much in the way of taking you out. But, if you don't understand how to minimize hits, it will either wear you down or take you completely out.

Let's hope JT learns how to minimize contact.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I saw JT get crushed against our 1st team D a few times during 2013 Spring scrimmages. He also got knocked out during the Miami game...sure it wasn't an "option" play, but passing and standing in the pocket is part of our offense as well.

Still not overly concerned.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
I wish I had your sentiments about it.

We shall see is 2014.
we-shall-see-about-that.jpg

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I equate getting hit in football to getting hit in martial arts. If you know how to minimize it (making yourself a smaller target, no "clean shots, etc.) getting hit won't do much in the way of taking you out. But, if you don't understand how to minimize hits, it will either wear you down or take you completely out.

Let's hope JT learns how to minimize contact.

This is true most of the time. I got hurt in HS when someone grabbed my leg and yanked sideways screwing up my knee. The rest of the time I was fine even though I played the line. Same thing with bicycle crashes, if you can see it coming and have the ability to react, you can absorb the impact with minimal damage.

JN was hurt in the UGAg game in 2009 when two players pulled his legs apart when he was on the ground. It took him 1/4 to shake it off and probably would have been the difference in the game.

A good example of a QB who couldn't take it was Jaybo. The kid was hurt most of the time for us. Went down a division and was great.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think the concern about Justin Thomas' size is getting to the point of it being ridiculous.

Well, Jaybo was/is bigger than JT, and we all saw what happened there. Again, like it's been mentioned many times, if JT can learn to minimize contact and avoid unneccessary hits, then his size won't be a problem. If he doesn't, our backups will be getting a lot of snaps.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, Jaybo was/is bigger than JT, and we all saw what happened there. Again, like it's been mentioned many times, if JT can learn to minimize contact and avoid unneccessary hits, then his size won't be a problem. If he doesn't, our backups will be getting a lot of snaps.
Jaybo ran completely upright and didn't protect himself. The results were similar to putting a baseball on a tee for a professional baseball player. JT doesn't look like Jaybo running the ball to me at all.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
Jaybo definitely ran our offense differently than JT does. He was a lot slower and not as quick as JT is. Plus JT has a better arm. Not worried at all. I think JT has the chance to be one of the best QBs CPJ has had period. Extremely excited about this kid.