Just watching Nebraska . . .

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
This is just the risk you take if you hitch your wagon to a young QB. If he doesn't pan out, or you aren't capable of developing him then you are going to be a lost program for a few years.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I re-read the OP's post and I don't have a huge problem with it's content except for the last line. It's my understanding, Martinez as a freshman had turn over issues and apparently still does. As a freshman, Sims had turn over issues too. But I think it's comparing apples to oranges. This year Sims is going to have a much improved offensive line and I don't see his turnover issues being a problem as he gets older. Now if I was asked to compare Collins to Frost, I honestly couldn't tell you who is the better game day head football coach.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with OP - until he proves he won't make "head scratching" decisions then it's a concern. Some grow out of it (Hamilton and Thomas) and learn where to throw the ball and some do not. You tend to not remember those that do not because they don't last long as QB. I wouls hope if he doesn't improve then its somebody else's turn.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure why the OP wanted to crap on Sims. I'm a fan of Sims and think he's right on schedule.

If you expected more out of the young man given the situation then I don't know what to say other than "I guess you never played the game."

Jeff's never made any excuses, and good on him. But an intelligent examination of the facts would lead any reasonable person to find zero parallels between a third year starter and a true fresh who started for a transition team during a pandemic.

As @Ibeeballin said "Sheesh".

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
As a fan I usually just ignore posts like this. Martinez did not have a bad game and Nebraska is not likely to be in the top half of the B1G this year. Also, this may be one of the best Illinois teams in a while. I am not defending Frost, but why attach Sims name to the post?

But, as a mod, I was tempted to flag this as a troll. As soon as it's posted you know the debate will become intense unless someone tamps it down (Thanks to @CuseJacket for supplying actual data). Did anyone expect us to be consistent last year? That is, unless it was consistently bad? Sims played pretty well in spite of his mistakes. He's 18 years old. Give the kid a break!

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
. . . and they remind me a lot of us. Just seem to beat themselves with mistakes and just a plain inability to rise to the occassion. I know they have a proud program and must be to the point of exhaustion with Coach Frost and his inability to get the program moving in the right direction. It should be working for them but it's not. Their biggest problem is they have a quarterback who looks the part but when you have to have it, he just does not get it done. We are in a similar predicament. Jeff is a great athlete and capable of breaking a big play anytime but in reality he has not demonstrated he can consistently be effective as a passer and a playmaker. I am hoping he makes a big leap this season for he is clearly the best option we have right now. The bottomline is, we can not build around him until he proves he is a winner and a difference maker. The Nebraska QB, Martinez, is what I call a Coach killer. I hope Sims doesn't prove to be the same.
I am not concerned. OL will take the presser off of a year older Sims

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As a fan I usually just ignore posts like this. Martinez did not have a bad game and Nebraska is not likely to be in the top half of the B1G this year. Also, this may be one of the best Illinois teams in a while. I am not defending Frost, but why attach Sims name to the post?

But, as a mod, I was tempted to flag this as a troll. As soon as it's posted you know the debate will become intense unless someone tamps it down (Thanks to @CuseJacket for supplying actual data). Did anyone expect us to be consistent last year? That is, unless it was consistently bad? Sims played pretty well in spite of his mistakes. He's 18 years old. Give the kid a break!
Yeah, kind of stunned by the post and even a few responses. For a freshman with not a lot of college level preparation, and an offensive line that gave him no time, I was really pleased with his play.

I don’t usually call out players for criticism but if you push me I was way more disappointed with our receivers last year. Time and time again they failed to get separation. How is a QB supposed to develop any kind of rhythm if he has to wait past a 3 count for someone to get open, or if they never get open?!!

I expect the team to take a giant leap forward this year. If not, I predict it will not be Sims’ fault.

Mattmc10

Jolly Good Fellow
The list of true freshman QB who don’t struggle with consistency/turnovers is very very short. I would also say almost all of them step into situations that make success easier. The list that does struggle is basically 99% of true freshman quarterbacks. Add a non-standard preseason camp, season with covid, and a spotty o line at best, I have no idea why anyone expected anything other than what Sims did.

slugboy

Staff member
Sims' freshman year was a mixed bag. There were some good games and flashes of potential. There were some plays where he didn't have much, if any, protection and horrible plays followed--sometimes turnovers. There were times when he had protection and lost the handle on the football, or just made a bad read, or threw a deep ball into great coverage.
The line seemed to get thinner as the year went on, and we turned more to the run. By the Pittsburgh game, Sims was probably playing better as a passer, but our receivers weren't making plays at that point. When a receiver gives up on a play, and the pass goes right where he's supposed to be, your QB stats look worse.
Last year, I saw several things--blocking problems, inconsistent receiver play, and QBs looking raw and unpolished. Sims and the other QBs can bring us part of the way, but there are other groups that need to improve, too.
I don't expect Sims (or any of our QBs) to be in the top third of the ACC this year, but the middle is pretty likely.
As for the Nebraska comparison, there are similarities and differences--
  • Nebraska has high expectations for a quick turnaround, and memories of glory days
  • However, Frost walked into an easier setup than Collins did, with more funds and a lot of other advantages
  • But Collins seems to have a much better AD
  • I wouldn't compare the individual players

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
The bottomline is, we can not build around him until he proves he is a winner and a difference maker.
I'm sorry but this statement makes no sense. The coaches need to build the best team they can, period. You have to build around your qb to give him and the team the best chance at winning. You have to get much better oline play and receiver play. The coaches need to make sure he can execute what they are asking him to do. Football is the ultimate team sport. You cannot ask your qb to be great without giving him the tools to do so.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I know they have a proud program and must be to the point of exhaustion with Coach Frost and his inability to get the program moving in the right direction.
Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't they largely lost the recruiting wars? Aren't most talented recruits opting for warmer climes to play? It's not just Nebraska, there are others too but there was a big question mark on Frost simply because this isn't the Nebraska of the glory years. They may never come back to that level.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I think the original post is a unfair. But seeing the success our main rivals (UGA, Clemson, UNC) have had with their true freshman QBs makes it seem that’s the norm when it’s not. Sam Howell was probably one of the best true freshman QBs in college football history. Then you look at Lawrence and Fromm, and I understand why some would want more out of Sims (obviously situation matters i.e. team talent and Covid year). But Jeff made way more freshman mistakes than our rivals’ true freshman QBs did recently.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think the original post is a unfair. But seeing the success our main rivals (UGA, Clemson, UNC) have had with their true freshman QBs makes it seem that’s the norm when it’s not. Sam Howell was probably one of the best true freshman QBs in college football history. Then you look at Lawrence and Fromm, and I understand why some would want more out of Sims (obviously situation matters i.e. team talent and Covid year). But Jeff made way more freshman mistakes than our rivals’ true freshman QBs did recently.
I guess we'll see how successful we are with our true freshman QB this year.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The list of true freshman QB who don’t struggle with consistency/turnovers is very very short. I would also say almost all of them step into situations that make success easier. The list that does struggle is basically 99% of true freshman quarterbacks. Add a non-standard preseason camp, season with covid, and a spotty o line at best, I have no idea why anyone expected anything other than what Sims did.
While I am on the side of let’s see what Sims can do with a year of experience and a better OL, there are plenty of true freshmen QBs who perform well and don’t have turnover issues.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
While I am on the side of let’s see what Sims can do with a year of experience and a better OL, there are plenty of true freshmen QBs who perform well and don’t have turnover issues.
But are these other quarterbacks being asked to carry the whole team on their backs?

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I might just think Fromm, Lawrence and Howell had a tad better offensive line.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Those QBs had summer camp and I think one had Spring training. Sims had neither.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
It would appear that pics were a problem in the first 3 games and not as much in the last 7 games.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Those QBs had summer camp and I think one had Spring training. Sims had neither.
I mentioned that in the post and said they were in better situations. But let’s not pretend Sims didn’t make numerous unforced errors, most notably the ball slipping out of his hand. And I’m a big Jeff Sims fan.