Just something interesting I noticed watching an old Navy Video.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I just ask for 15 passes per game and complete 10. But as I have said many times and will add, the pitch on an option and in fact our rocket toss are really just short passes, like a bubble screen.

15 passes is just an arbitrary number that makes you feel good for some reason. If every run ended in a TD would you still want 15 passes? If every pass ended in an incompletion or pick would you still want 15?

Take what the D gives you and what you can execute best.

No an option pitch is not at all like a bubble screen. Because there is an OPTION to defend. Depending on type 2 or 3 options. The play is dynamic and the QB takes what the D gives him on it. A bubble screen is usually just a called short pass. It’s often effective, again based on what the D is giving the O. But it’s not at all like a option pitch.

I agree a rocket toss is a better comparison.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think I post this once a year, but it's always fun to watch. CPJ as an OC at Hawaii:

Just a quick count, but saw triple stack formation, offset I, single back, standard flex, standard trips.

I can see Lucas Johnson in the Garrett Gabriel role. GG wasn't that fast, but he could move. LJ is much faster and more athletic than GG was.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think I post this once a year, but it's always fun to watch. CPJ as an OC at Hawaii:

Just a quick count, but saw triple stack formation, offset I, single back, standard flex, standard trips.

I can see Lucas Johnson in the Garrett Gabriel role. GG wasn't that fast, but he could move. LJ is much faster and more athletic than GG was.

I think LJ has a high ceiling. But we are both basing our analysis on a very limited data set.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

https://247sports.com/Player/Dillon-Gabriel-46046633

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
15 passes is just an arbitrary number that makes you feel good for some reason. If every run ended in a TD would you still want 15 passes? If every pass ended in an incompletion or pick would you still want 15?

Take what the D gives you and what you can execute best.

No an option pitch is not at all like a bubble screen. Because there is an OPTION to defend. Depending on type 2 or 3 options. The play is dynamic and the QB takes what the D gives him on it. A bubble screen is usually just a called short pass. It’s often effective, again based on what the D is giving the O. But it’s not at all like a option pitch.

I agree a rocket toss is a better comparison.

Fwiw, many completed screen passes are secondary to covered routes downfield.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Fwiw, many completed screen passes are secondary to covered routes downfield.

True. I just don’t consider multiple route trees an option play...even tho there are multiple targets / options. It’s still multiple 1v1s typically rather than having a defender forced to choose which of 2 players he should stop / key on.