Jump of S and C offseason program?

Matt E

GT Athlete
Not going to a bowl game is never a positive, but I've been thinking of some possible silver linings. One example is the potential 6 week jump start in the offseason strength and conditioning program. Normally players have very little time in the gym other than maintaining as they continue to work through bowl prep. This is especially true for the younger guys since more emphasis is put on getting an "extra spring practice" out of the few weeks leading up to the bowl game. The bottom line is the younger guys get banged up.

Does anyone know the schedule for the guys in December? I would assume that they have a few more weeks of school and finals and will be taking a break between Christmas and the start of the new semester. I hope we are starting immediately. It's a great opportunity to get a 6 week head start. We have a lot of young guys that need the extra time and hopefully we see a difference in the spring with lean body mass and explosiveness gains.

Campbeae

Georgia Tech Fan
Not going to a bowl game is never a positive, but I've been thinking of some possible silver linings. One example is the potential 6 week jump start in the offseason strength and conditioning program. Normally players have very little time in the gym other than maintaining as they continue to work through bowl prep. This is especially true for the younger guys since more emphasis is put on getting an "extra spring practice" out of the few weeks leading up to the bowl game. The bottom line is the younger guys get banged up.

Does anyone know the schedule for the guys in December? I would assume that they have a few more weeks of school and finals and will be taking a break between Christmas and the start of the new semester. I hope we are starting immediately. It's a great opportunity to get a 6 week head start. We have a lot of young guys that need the extra time and hopefully we see a difference in the spring with lean body mass and explosiveness gains.
Advantage of going to a bowl game is you get extra practices and pretty sure that by not going to one its against NCAA rules to have much if any practice time here is article from 2010 http://espn.go.com/ncf/bowls10/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=5921827

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete

They would still lift 3-4 days a week regardless. Or at least that's how it was back in my day. Now that we're not going bowling, they may lift fewer days since they won't be on campus for bowl prep. I'm not sure the staff would make the team stay on campus a week after class lets out for the holidays just for S&C.

Matt E

GT Athlete
They would still lift 3-4 days a week regardless. Or at least that's how it was back in my day. Now that we're not going bowling, they may lift fewer days since they won't be on campus for bowl prep. I'm not sure the staff would make the team stay on campus a week after class lets out for the holidays just for S&C.

Under O'Leary we lifted 2 maybe 3 days during the season but it was strictly maintaining as much as you could during the year. That stayed constant with Omer and Ellis...or atleast when I was there. The offseason lifting was on a completely different level and was when the gains in strength, explosiveness, etc would take place. Even if they got after it hard for the next 3 weeks i would think there would be a benefit. With so many young guys my hope is they are hitting it hard before the Christmas break to take advantage of the time.