Juice Builds Juice

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Just read the 247 coach rankings. I don’t think anyone liked last year, but damn. Below Babers & Fuente, barely above Diaz. Gimme a break.

Give him time. The proof is in the pudding. Coach Collins is all in on recruiting. Which is fine but recruiting by itself will not be enough to get this program back where it belongs. The college football historical landscape is loaded with coaches that were hyped as great recruiters and after a great class or two, the wheels fell off. Doug Dickey at Florida had a class in the late 1970s with 6 future NFL players. Their senior year they won 3 games. Ron Zook, also at Florida, recruited like a mad man and eventually put together the class that Urban Meyer won his first national championship team. It did not do Coach Zook any good. Losing to Ole Miss and Mississippi State did him in. Curiously, he won 2 out of 3 against UGA. Randy Shannon recruited up a storm at Miami but no championship. Manny is thought to be a great recruiter and has talent, plenty of it at Miami but look what happened to him. He lost to Tech last year and FIU for the first time in school history. The moral of the story is that recruiting rankings and getting talent is half the battle. A coach still has to develop them and win games. The current situation is going to give Coach Collins a pass for this year as well as last year. Then, we will see but winning 3 or 4 games a season is not going to cut it for very long.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This may be true but it has nothing to do with Collins. Our recruiting by the previous coach was below average so is it any wonder we had below average results. Collins will be judged in the future on his coaching. What else could he have done in year 1 but recruit his butt off. I’d rather win 3 with the 27th class than win 6 with the 50th class. I can see soon we’ll be winning 7-8 games with top 25 classes which will get us to the 9plus win territory. But it doesn’t happen over night.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This may be true but it has nothing to do with Collins. Our recruiting by the previous coach was below average so is it any wonder we had below average results. Collins will be judged in the future on his coaching. What else could he have done in year 1 but recruit his butt off. I’d rather win 3 with the 27th class than win 6 with the 50th class. I can see soon we’ll be winning 7-8 games with top 25 classes which will get us to the 9plus win territory. But it doesn’t happen over night.

On the contrary, it is a cautionary tale for any college coach. Recruiting great players is only the first step. You have to win games. Corker, MR, Golden, Shannon, and now Manny. All had great success recruiting for Miami. None of them were able to move much beyond recruiting championships. Compared to the rest of the Coastal Division, Miami has had by far the best recruiting classes. In the past decade, Miami has had maybe one class out out the top 30. By contrast Georgia Tech has had only 2 classes IN the top 30. Yet, it can be said we have had maybe marginally more success. Personally, I think they would have been better off to keep the Reverend but Miami, being Miami, is always in search of the next shiny thing. "...it has nothing to do with Collins." Two more seasons with three or four wins and it will have everything to do with Coach Collins. The recruiting has improved markedly and will only get better but it must be followed up by more wins. "Just win, baby"

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I know all this but what did you expect Collins to win year 1 with a bare cupboard. Everyone knows football is dependent on the QB position and Collins came to a team that didn’t have one. We had 3 guys, one was so bad he left, the other was so bad he changed positions, and the other was statistically one of the worst in the conference. Collins did all he could in year 1.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You certainly cannot mean this.

I absolutely mean it. Winning an extra few games last year with another class in the high 40s would have done nothing to move GT football forward. But it’s just a hypothetical. All I can say is thank the football gods we finally have a coach who can get us similar caliber players as most teams on our schedule. Now, we aren’t having to rely on perfect execution and the “genius” of one individual. I’m excited beyond belief that given another couple of classes that Collins will be another O’Leary. We’ll have a defense ranked in the top 25% of the ACC and a QB who can make all the plays like Joe Ham and Godsey. The days of holding our breath on every pass play will be a thing if the past. But for 2020 we are still digging out of the hole because we have no idea what we will get from the QB position. Patenaude may not be the solution but he currently isn’t the problem.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I know all this but what did you expect Collins to win year 1 with a bare cupboard. Everyone knows football is dependent on the QB position and Collins came to a team that didn’t have one. We had 3 guys, one was so bad he left, the other was so bad he changed positions, and the other was statistically one of the worst in the conference. Collins did all he could in year 1.
The lines had more to do with it then qb play. O line was hit hard by injuries, and it's tough to get big nasties here at tech, but we also had lots of injuries on defense too. The cupboard was certainly not bare however so stop using that as an excuse if that's what you're gonna keep looking for. Use the injuries instead.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I absolutely mean it. Winning an extra few games last year with another class in the high 40s would have done nothing to move GT football forward. But it’s just a hypothetical. All I can say is thank the football gods we finally have a coach who can get us similar caliber players as most teams on our schedule. Now, we aren’t having to rely on perfect execution and the “genius” of one individual. I’m excited beyond belief that given another couple of classes that Collins will be another O’Leary. We’ll have a defense ranked in the top 25% of the ACC and a QB who can make all the plays like Joe Ham and Godsey. The days of holding our breath on every pass play will be a thing if the past. But for 2020 we are still digging out of the hole because we have no idea what we will get from the QB position. Patenaude may not be the solution but he currently isn’t the problem.

We'd better have a coach who can get us BETTER caliber players than most teams on our schedule. Similar isn't going to cut it. If our players are roughly on par with most teams on our schedule, then we're basically a .500 team with two penciled in losses unless we "rely on perfect execution and the “genius” of one individual a better coaching staff" to win games.

If we want to win 9-10 games consistently against our schedule, we're going to have to be a top 20 recruiting team. We can get there, but there's work to do.

Scubapro

Banned
But for 2020 we are still digging out of the hole because we have no idea what we will get from the QB position. Patenaude may not be the solution but he currently isn’t the problem.
Hey may not have been the problem last year but he will be a problem going forward. We set records for three and outs last year. If he stays around that trend will continue. It will be like Gomer days part two. Good defense but an offense that cant consistently generate more that two scores.

Scubapro

Banned
We'd better have a coach who can get us BETTER caliber players than most teams on our schedule. Similar isn't going to cut it. If our players are roughly on par with most teams on our schedule, then we're basically a .500 team with two penciled in losses unless we "rely on perfect execution and the “genius” of one individual a better coaching staff" to win games.

If we want to win 9-10 games consistently against our schedule, we're going to have to be a top 20 recruiting team. We can get there, but there's work to do.
I agree with this sentiment but I don't think Tech will ever out recruit more than half the teams on our schedule. This is where we MUST have superior coaches.
As it stands right now we have a head coach that doesn't know what he is doing during the game. -- This could change with experience.
Our Defensive Coordinator is young and may prove to be a phenomenal coach. If he does, don't expect him to be around for long.
The Offensive coordinator is a washed up also-ran who has never been in one place long enough to establish himself as a recruiter OR coach up any of the players he did recruit. He will cause much pain and suffering for Tech fans in the future and most likely cause Collins to lose his job.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Collins is smart enough that he’ll cut Patenaude loose if a trend starts. Right now we have 1 year worth of data which isn’t a trend.

I agree that injuries played a huge role, but the fact that injuries destroyed a season shows us that our cupboard was indeed bare otherwise we could have played thru them. But, like 2015, our previous coach was such a poor recruiter that we were lucky to have ACC caliber first string let alone 2nd string. Hence, a couple injuries and we are doomed. We aren’t the only team with injuries but it’s amazing that other teams continue to compete. Those days will soon be over. Between last years class and those committed for 2021 Collins has filled up a lot of depth.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

No, but then I did not expect him to lose to The Citadel and beat Miami. Football is a funny game sometimes. He will be given an additional two year window to prove himself. If that is not being magnanimous, I don't know what is. Try getting that kind of deal at Miami or FSU. Poor Randy Shannon loses a couple of games to good teams and they were after him like hounds after a fox. Willie barely lasted a season at FSU. Sure he had a difficult transition from an option offense and no real quarterback but could be worse, he could be at FSU or Miami and it would not matter how "woke" he is because its all about wins in those places and sometimes just winning is not enough. Coach Collins best count his blessings and get to work. He and his staff have employment which is more than can be said for millions of college fans who have lost their jobs.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
No, but then I did not expect him to lose to The Citadel and beat Miami. Football is a funny game sometimes. He will be given an additional two year window to prove himself. If that is not being magnanimous, I don't know what is. Try getting that kind of deal at Miami or FSU. Poor Randy Shannon loses a couple of games to good teams and they were after him like hounds after a fox. Willie barely lasted a season at FSU. Sure he had a difficult transition from an option offense and no real quarterback but could be worse, he could be at FSU or Miami and it would not matter how "woke" he is because its all about wins in those places and sometimes just winning is not enough. Coach Collins best count his blessings and get to work. He and his staff have employment which is more than can be said for millions of college fans who have lost their jobs.
How could it be worse?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
True about Miami and FSU. Thankfully we have TStan who is miles smarter than anyone in the Miami or FSU administration. I’ll give FSU a pass. They realized they made a mistake and acted quickly. Miami football is just a dumpster fire.

Collins has longer than 2 more years. TStan realizes this is a process and as long as the recruits are buying what he’s selling Collins will be here. Losing any games in year 1, whether UGA, Clemson, or Citadel DOES NOT MATTER! I sat there in Bobby Dodd and watched our QB’s play the worst game I’ve seen in any college game in years, while a triple option team stuffed the ball down our throat with 2 different QB’s. I just laughed. It means nothing. Just keep recruiting and will be amazing that all these posts about Collins not being a game day coach will slowly disappear as the wins pile up.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Collins is smart enough that he’ll cut Patenaude loose if a trend starts. Right now we have 1 year worth of data which isn’t a trend.

I agree that injuries played a huge role, but the fact that injuries destroyed a season shows us that our cupboard was indeed bare otherwise we could have played thru them. But, like 2015, our previous coach was such a poor recruiter that we were lucky to have ACC caliber first string let alone 2nd string. Hence, a couple injuries and we are doomed. We aren’t the only team with injuries but it’s amazing that other teams continue to compete. Those days will soon be over. Between last years class and those committed for 2021 Collins has filled up a lot of depth.
You should ask NC State (who we beat) if injuries played any part in their season.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
True about Miami and FSU. Thankfully we have TStan who is miles smarter than anyone in the Miami or FSU administration. I’ll give FSU a pass. They realized they made a mistake and acted quickly. Miami football is just a dumpster fire.

Collins has longer than 2 more years. TStan realizes this is a process and as long as the recruits are buying what he’s selling Collins will be here. Losing any games in year 1, whether UGA, Clemson, or Citadel DOES NOT MATTER! I sat there in Bobby Dodd and watched our QB’s play the worst game I’ve seen in any college game in years, while a triple option team stuffed the ball down our throat with 2 different QB’s. I just laughed. It means nothing. Just keep recruiting and will be amazing that all these posts about Collins not being a game day coach will slowly disappear as the wins pile up.

Just to piggyback on your Citadel comment, the great Nick Saban lost to UL Monroe in his first season at Bama. I can guarantee that roster was better than what Collins walked into. I’m not comparing CGC to Saban but a bad loss is easy to shake if you start winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

We were the only P5 team who lost to an FCS team last year. If you don’t want your team to be a national embarrassment then that matters. 4-8 without an FCS loss sure sounds a heck of a lot better doesn’t it? Maybe we would have a few more higher rated recruits giving us a chance. Maybe attendance would have been a little better last year. Who knows. It certainly didn’t help things.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Just to piggyback on your Citadel comment, the great Nick Saban lost to UL Monroe in his first season at Bama. I can guarantee that roster was better than what Collins walked into. I’m not comparing CGC to Saban but a bad loss is easy to shake if you start winning.

If Collins had gone 7-6 with a bowl win, two wins over top 20 teams, a nail biter loss to the eventual national champions, had previously won a national championship at another school, and not lost a game by more than a TD then we probably wouldn’t talk about the Citadel loss all that much.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
If Collins had gone 7-6 with a bowl win, two wins over top 20 teams, a nail biter loss to the eventual national champions, had previously won a national championship at another school, and not lost a game by more than a TD then we probably wouldn’t talk about the Citadel loss all that much.

Sure, everyone would love a better record and the comparison of losses was not great. Saban walked into multiple years of Bama recruiting in the top 20 (which is sad for them) and did not have to deal with personnel built for an option offense. The point was that you can’t judge a coach by one game. Last year was really tough but I think things will get better.