Jordan Yates

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Both of these guys still need to improve and develop. If we were to keep going back and forth then we just slow down that process for both. Just pick a guy and go with him. I don't really even care which one it is. They both have strengths and weaknesses.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I agree for the most part but think Sims should be the starter. I jumped on the Yates bandwagon but Sims' natural ability is too awesome to deny. I learned my lesson. Sims is the starter going forward and we need to have patience with him while he grows into his potential. That said, Yates is a great change-of-pace guy that can throw a curveball at the opposing defense if they prep too much for one qb over the other. He has proven that, while he may not be able to take over a game, he surely isn't going to lose it for us. Yates is a great game manager which is a big compliment IMO.
I can also see using Yates effectively late in games to run the clock when we are protecting a lead.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I think we are back to Sims now that he appears 100 percent healthy and has shaken off whatever was going on in the first half against NIU. Too much of a weapon to have on the bench. When the defense has to worry about a QB taking it to the house, our offense is different. Yates' game would actually pair really well with our defense if we could protect him well enough to play a ball control offense. But we can't, so we probably need Sims' explosiveness.

*All of this is subject to change at a moment's notice.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think we are back to Sims now that he appears 100 percent healthy and has shaken off whatever was going on in the first half against NIU. Too much of a weapon to have on the bench. When the defense has to worry about a QB taking it to the house, our offense is different. Yates' game would actually pair really well with our defense if we could protect him well enough to play a ball control offense. But we can't, so we probably need Sims' explosiveness.

I view it as a tag team. Use Yates early and keep the Pitt defense running. As they run out of gas, use Sims to run over them in the 2H.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
In either case, it is a nice option or even a luxury to have 2 guys who can play. Byerly and Godsey (before starting his junior year) were the best second string QB's in my time as a fan. Who am I overlooking as I feel like there have been one or two others?
Ahh, yes...Timmy-The-Touchdown-Vulture Byerly...fond memories.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I agree with this, but I'm still wary of Sims taking too many chances with the football. A couple of his passes looked chancy to me, especially one over the middle into double coverage that could easily have been intercepted. But yeah, I'm rooting for him because he's a bigger and stronger back there and a better runner. Has a stronger arm, too. We just have to hope he cuts down on the turnovers.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
At the tail gate i had the honor of talking w Wesley Wells. He is good with the great but brief sucess he had on the football field. His nearly perfect season - made us take kickers for granted. Iirc He was perfect inside 40 and extra points. Now
has moved on into being nearly perfect in his classes and at his internship. Kids going to be a credit to us all.

Back during his hay day i had told his mom that she needed to remind him will be called an fn kicker when he misses one. He better believe in himself and some time i would like to tell him the other side of the fn kicker story. Told him that at my engineering company i had a field goal kicker, and a long snapper work as client reps for our major accounts. They were both great relationship builders, never b s sales types, humble. Yet when time to win the proposal they were money.

This kid is not even out of gt and he has a giant life experiences. He is a Tech man.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Or, if he were really OLD, like me, he would recall the time during the 1960s when both Larry Good and Kim King (good quarterbacks by the way) were injured and Dodd resorted to using a defensive back, Bill Eastman to finish a game. During the late 1970s we had a revolving door at quarterback it seems due to injuries. A quarterback who spends much of the game running for his life should not be judged nearly as harshly as the offensive line but then, they generally get yelled out even when they are blocking good. IIWII
Ah, Larry Good. Probably the cutest running QB in Tech history. His teammates called his running style the "Camilla Shuffle" (he was from Camilla). And he could throw too! Thanks for the memories.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't like the blanket approach of stick with a guy no matter what. Its not fair to the team or either QB to do continue doing something that isn't working just for the sake of "sticking with it".

Credit to the coaching staff for reading the game/situation and riding the hot hand.

I think you start Sims against Pitt, but if he struggles, I am okay with a quick hook to give Yates a shot at calming it down. Both can positively impact the team, they just need to be utilized correctly. Eventually, the goal is that someone turns into a "can't sit" and forces themselves to be on the field at all times due to their great play. Let someone take the starting job on their own by leaving no doubt on the field and winning it. Until then, be flexible with it and do what is best for this team to grow and win games.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Good was in a class (with me) on SAT AM!! before a game once. How's that for change.?
Worked part time at the Robbery. Saturday home football games were very busy. When we played Auburn away, we went to see Larry . He was lights out accurate and some how gt was close at end of game. It was wintry and cloudy.
As Tech lined up for field goal the clouds parted and a heavenly beam of sunshine spotlighted our white and gold uniforms. Kick good. Tech wins at Buzzer.
Good times
After uga hit him low on bad knee - they ran of 47 straight points . Bad times. THWG.

Anit it fun to have 2 qbs that are serviceable! Plus they could get better.
Good times

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Yates seems to do better at the beginning of the game vs Simms. I'd say let Yates get a quarter in then let sims take over

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Worked part time at the Robbery. Saturday home football games were very busy. When we played Auburn away, we went to see Larry . He was lights out accurate and some how gt was close at end of game. It was wintry and cloudy.
As Tech lined up for field goal the clouds parted and a heavenly beam of sunshine spotlighted our white and gold uniforms. Kick good. Tech wins at Buzzer.
Good times
After uga hit him low on bad knee - they ran of 47 straight points . Bad times. THWG.

Anit it fun to have 2 qbs that are serviceable! Plus they could get better.
Good times
The infamous "Cherry-Picker" formation. We should lineup in it again. Oh yes, it was so ingenious that the SEC forced the NCAA to outlaw it.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
The fact that y’all want Yates to start after watching what Sims did when he came in blows my mind.

Sims did everything the coaches said he was doing in the off-season in the UNC game. He won the job out of camp and earned it back Saturday.

Yates played really well while Sims was out and is a great guy to have if Sims stalls again.

Sims will start Saturday and I would hope all would not want to see Yates unless he’s coming in the 4th because we’re up so big.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The fact that y’all want Yates to start after watching what Sims did when he came in blows my mind.

Sims did everything the coaches said he was doing in the off-season in the UNC game. He won the job out of camp and earned it back Saturday.

Yates played really well while Sims was out and is a great guy to have if Sims stalls again.

Sims will start Saturday and I would hope all would not want to see Yates unless he’s coming in the 4th because we’re up so big.
I can see your point if you think Sims can continue the UNC performance for 60 minutes without reverting to turnovers and some slow or questionable decisions.

On the other hand Yates seems to be a calming force early in the game and more likely will give Pitt the first opportunities to make a big mistake. Meanwhile we shorten the game somewhat and wear down Pitt some. When Sims comes in he will be ready and fresh and fast and might again be a real difference maker. I like starting Yates simply because he is a more predictable QB until we get into the flow of the game and a fresh Sims coming in later with fresh legs is a real deal. I do think Sims should come in for the red zone plays regardless. At this point in time who knows?

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I can see your point if you think Sims can continue the UNC performance for 60 minutes without reverting to turnovers and some slow or questionable decisions.

On the other hand Yates seems to be a calming force early in the game and more likely will give Pitt the first opportunities to make a big mistake. Meanwhile we shorten the game somewhat and wear down Pitt some. When Sims comes in he will be ready and fresh and fast and might again be a real difference maker. I like starting Yates simply because he is a more predictable QB until we get into the flow of the game and a fresh Sims coming in later with fresh legs is a real deal. I do think Sims should come in for the red zone plays regardless. At this point in time who knows?
Yates definitely provides a more predictable guy. He’s like another coach out there with a lot of talent.

I just think the Sims we saw against UNC is more of who he is than the guy who started NIU.

It’d be easy to use his performance last year to make assumptions (and I wouldn’t fault anyone for doing so), I’m just choosing to believe he’s made the jump the coaches told us about leading up to the season and game 1 was an aberration.

My thought is if we can come out and put up some points early, we can put pressure on Pitt to score and let our edge rushers get hot again.

I think we can win with either guy, our offense is just so much more explosive with Sims. I also think that just like Yates earned the starting job with his performance against NIU and beyond, Sims did the same Saturday.