Jordan Yates

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I am a math teacher. I can help everyone (who doesn't actively resist) improve. What I can't do anything about is their innate abilities and comprehension. Not everybody starts at the same place with their ability to process and understand (in FB, mth or even life). In fact, I can usually tell within the first month of school who "gets it" and who who can eventually do it through sheer effort. You can give a person with math ability a problem that they haven't seen before (within reaason of course) and they can reason through it if they know underlying concepts. A person without the knack can replicate what they have been taught only. It is a HUGE difference imo. (I think the academic purists would regurgitate at this blasphemy but it is what I believe through experience.)

So coaches can improve these things. But people bring different things to the table so if a coach can improve football IQ and decision making by a hypothetical 25% in a year, that doesn't make everyone equal. The gap between Joe and Tom remains a constant at the end of the year. my thoughts are not popular on these things but, as stated above, I believe them 100% based on my life experiences.
I have a friend who teaches at the high school we went to together and he explains to similar situations about his frustrations in try to get through to some of kids. I always send him this gif for a good laugh.
How Do I Reach These Kids GIFs | Tenor

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
I love Yates he has guts but guys remember Sims was picked by the team as a Captain for some reason. It's great to have 2 QBs but it's also a great way to kill team chemistry ( B** L****)
You don't think Yates had earned and the respect and fire of his teammates at this point the kid plays with tons of heart. That's the kind of stuff that true leaders do and lead from the front.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have a friend who teaches at the high school we went to together and he explains to similar situations about his frustrations in try to get through to some of kids. I always send him this gif for a good laugh.
How Do I Reach These Kids GIFs | Tenor
I appreciate that laugh. One thing I don't do is stress out over "reaching kids". I found out in the private sector that I couldn't even "reach" all the adults who worked for me either or indirectly, and these were adults making good money. I quit wasting energy on trying to motivate people who weren't intrinsically motivated as return on investment was almost nil (that is nil as in zero, not the new "NIL" ;)) . With adults, they could be freed up to "pursue other opportunities". Can't do that with students. I do spend my time and energy on helping those kids who want to do better, and there's plenty of them. You cannot push a rope as they say.

To make this thread relevant, Yates has that drive and passion that will allow him to be as good as his innate abilities will allow him to be. Similar to Godsey in that respect.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate that laugh. One thing I don't do is stress out over "reaching kids". I found out in the private sector that I couldn't even "reach" all the adults who worked for me either or indirectly, and these were adults making good money. I quit wasting energy on trying to motivate people who weren't intrinsically motivated as return on investment was almost nil (that is nil as in zero, not the new "NIL" ;)) . With adults, they could be freed up to "pursue other opportunities". Can't do that with students. I do spend my time and energy on helping those kids who want to do better, and there's plenty of them. You cannot push a rope as they say.

To make this thread relevant, Yates has that drive and passion that will allow him to be as good as his innate abilities will allow him to be. Similar to Godsey in that respect.
Ditto. I have been doing ACT/SAT tutoring for about 12 years now, and I have learned that I pretty much know at my first session with a teen if there will be success (significant improvement in scores). The ONLY way it will happen is if they are motivated to want to learn OR somehow, their parents' motivation is causing them some "discomfort". :)

One of the quotes I dread hearing is this: "well my parents aren't good at math, so I guess that is why I struggle." That is a bunch of hooey. Math is easy and can be learned (memorized if need be) by anyone with an average intelligence. It is all about "want to" in my experience.

I tell parents all of this before we start, because I am a tutor and not a motivator. Motivation, in general, must come from within or be taught from an early age. (or be created from significant outside circumstances)

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
I think people forgot just how solid of a prospect Yates was out of High School. He was Georgia QB of year, lead Milton to a championship, high 3 or 4 star recruit depending on what recruiting site you followed his uncle is a former NFL QB.

Yates literally did everything you could've asked of him yesterday against possible the best defense in the country. Play-Calling in red zone was once again questionable. Honestly Sims as not shown anywhere near that composure in his chances in his games so far. I question if Sims could make several of the reads in throws that Yates has made in past couple of games. People losing there minds over someone who can throw the ball 10 yard further and a little harder and little faster runner games are played on field and not the combine and Yates all around looks like the better QB. I suppose 2007-2010 NC State was wrong playing Russell Wilson because the rest of the QBs were bigger and stronger then him. I mean of all the places that you would think a QB size doesn't and arm strength isn't all there is to be a great QB you would think GT understands that sorry Joe Hamilton...

Honestly IMO Yates I think this is production you can expect from Yates weekly basis and I think most of us would absolutely take that...

220-300 ypg
2 TDs
1-4 Turnover ratio

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think people forgot just how solid of a prospect Yates was out of High School. He was Georgia QB of year, lead Milton to a championship, high 3 or 4 star recruit depending on what recruiting site you followed his uncle is a former NFL QB.
I've said it before, I'll say it again: Yates is a leader. I watched the games where he led Milton to the state championship. He literally willed that team down field and to the championship. He's got it, whatever it is.

I'm glad he's getting a chance to show that again on the collegiate level.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I'm still a bit confused how how Yates has looked SO much better than Sims . Yet I was not aware of how Yates was pushing Sims for time in last 1 1/2 yrs yrs.Did coach Pat miss something in practice? hmmm

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'm still a bit confused how how Yates has looked SO much better than Sims . Yet I was not aware of how Yates was pushing Sims for time in last 1 1/2 yrs yrs.Did coach Pat miss something in practice? hmmm

So far he's played a bad NIU team, where he outplayed Sims but it was low sample size, an FCS school which Sims never got to play, and then played well at Clemson, but didn't produce even 1 TD.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
So far he's played a bad NIU team, where he outplayed Sims but it was low sample size, an FCS school which Sims never got to play, and then played well at Clemson, but didn't produce even 1 TD.
I guess he can join thr club with everyone else and some of that is on the other players and play calling... the flip TE pass would've been a TD say for 1 block... Another Pass to TE was barely missed on timing due to a early snap that he had to collect before throwing

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Because practice and the game are two different things. The qualities Yates has - decision-making, for example - are best expressed on the field during actual games.

georgytech

Georgia Tech Fan
Works both ways. There's also a danger to having someone perform at a higher level than his competition, only to be relegated to his place on the bench. You have to choose one, so I think Yates is the guy.
I said after the NIU game that Sims had just been Wally Pipped. I was for Yates playing last year because I saw him in high school & he has a lot of heart. He is a winner as evidenced by the poster that said he is on track to graduate in May.
That tells me he is not only a hard worker but smart too.
If the coaches are smart & wish to stay employed here he will continue to start
That said he took a lot of hits last night so I hope he can continue to play & be healthy.
A real test for this team is what happens next week against UNC, a loss digs a deep hole especially if they get blown out.
Clemson probably was not mentally prepared for the fire Tech had last night which showed that the Jackets wanted to redeem themselves from last year's debacle.
It remains to be seen if they can maintain that level of determination but I hope they can. Still not sold on this coaching staff but I now have more hope than before the Clemson game.
Go Yellow Britches!!

LibertyTurns

Banned
I am a math teacher. I can help everyone (who doesn't actively resist) improve. What I can't do anything about is their innate abilities and comprehension. Not everybody starts at the same place with their ability to process and understand (in FB, mth or even life). In fact, I can usually tell within the first month of school who "gets it" and who who can eventually do it through sheer effort. You can give a person with math ability a problem that they haven't seen before (within reaason of course) and they can reason through it if they know underlying concepts. A person without the knack can replicate what they have been taught only. It is a HUGE difference imo. (I think the academic purists would regurgitate at this blasphemy but it is what I believe through experience.)

So coaches can improve these things. But people bring different things to the table so if a coach can improve football IQ and decision making by a hypothetical 25% in a year, that doesn't make everyone equal. The gap between Joe and Tom remains a constant at the end of the year. my thoughts are not popular on these things but, as stated above, I believe them 100% based on my life experiences.
You already know you’re right about this, but just wanted to let you know you are absolutely correct. You don‘t train guys to win, you can train them on tasks. They can learn to do tasks better. Winning is not a task. Winners win a lot of times when they should have next to no chance of winning, losers lose sometimes when they should have almost no chance of losing.

slugboy

Staff member
It’s not just those things though. His accuracy on easy passes just ain’t there.
True, but we saw him this year in one quarter of one game. I agree with running the hot hand. Yates is or should be QB1 now.
However, I’ve seen Godsey, JoeHam, Shawn Jones, and other great QBs have awful games; possibly just as bad as Sims started against NIU. At the beginning, I wondered if Godsey would lose his position.