Jordan Woods waxes eloquent about GT....

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Ken Sugiura
@ksugiuraajc

Quotable Tech signee Jordan Woods on his recruitment
February 4, 2016 | Filed in: ACC, College, Football.

COMMENTS 12

HYOSUB SHIN / [email protected]

Probably the most acclaimed member of the Georgia Tech signing class is defensive end Jordan Woods, a four-star prospect (Rivals) out of Citra, Fla. Woods chose Tech over Tennessee and Miami, among others. Woods, 6-foot-4 and 255 pounds, sounds like he has potential as a speed rusher. Some notes form a rather entertaining conversation.

Believes in Tech

Woods has drunk deep from the Tech gospel. Listening to him, it was evident either a) he listened very closely to what coaches told him on his visit; and/or b) he has a future in recruiting.

“If you have a degree from Georgia Tech, you have probably the best degree with the best city in the world.”

He was impressed that coach Paul Johnson told recruits and their families that “if you don’t want to be a student, don’t come here, because you have to be a student. Other schools will be like, you’ll do this. We’ll put you in a criminal justice class.”

“A lot of schools will tell you, ‘Oh, look at the stadium, look at this, look at that.’ Coach Johnson’s going to tell you, our stadium (only) holds almost 60,000, but guess what? Coca-Cola’s right down the street.”

“We went 3-9, but nobody said anything when Florida went 4-8. When every other school had a bad year, nobody said anything.”

“If being on television was how the NFL (evaluated) to make you a draft pick, then tell me why there’s a Division III player for Tampa Bay. Tell me why he’s starting.”

(Woods was referring to guard Ali Marpet, a rookie from Hobart College.)

On choosing a school based on its national championships: “When the guy who’s offering you a job says, ‘I need a guy who can turn the company around,’ 16 national championships isn’t going to help you.”

(Alabama has won 16 national championships.)

“Not everybody can go (to Tech). They’re those certain type of guys who you want to have in a back alley with you but you also want them to put on a suit and tie and go to a debate with you.”

On schools with better facilities: “The toys they’re giving you are not going to last.”

How he became a Yellow Jacket

Woods said he was first contacted during his junior year by A-backs coach Lamar Owens, who recruits north Florida. He admitted he was just “playing around” and feigned interest. He was still playing around when he met Owens in person and he gave Woods a packet of information about Tech.

“I consider it, consider it, but I’m still playing around,” he said. “Me and him are getting closer. I say I’m considering Georgia Tech. Not playing around anymore. Then I start looking at toys, looking at what big schools can offer you. They’re getting pushed out of the way, pushed out of the way, but they’re still hanging by a thread.”

Then he went on his visit, he said, “and it blows my mind.”

Said Woods, “God planted that, because I had no idea I’d be going to Georgia Tech. No idea.”

Final answer

How he knew Tech was going to be his choice: When Tennessee coach Butch Jones came to his home in Citra following Woods’ visit to Tech and made his sales pitch. He likened it to meeting or seeing other girls after already finding the “one for you.”

Said Woods, “You start looking at them and they all start looking the same. You look good, but you don’t excite me anymore. You don’t excite me like this girl excites me.”

On the field

Woods will bring considerable athletic versatility. For his school’s track team, he runs the 100- and 200-meter dashes and also throws the shot put and discus. He said his fastest 100 time is 11.3 seconds. When his team was in a 7-on-7 passing league, he played safety.

“You show me their best guy, and that’s who I’m going to go against,” he said.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Said Woods, “God planted that, because I had no idea I’d be going to Georgia Tech. No idea.”

And folks that what out coaches do! They don't quit, they don't throw up their hands, they push and push, work till there are no more hours in the day. They may not always win but they don't ever, ever quit! Just like the the team they put on the field.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Best line of the article:
On choosing a school based on its national championships: “When the guy who’s offering you a job says, ‘I need a guy who can turn the company around,’ 16 national championships isn’t going to help you.”

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He is an impressive recruit for sure. What is most impressive is that he remembered every recruiting line the coaches used on him. My favorite had nothing to do with the program or the school or the city. It had to do with Johnson's observation that when Florida went 4-8 nobody blinked. (And really, seriously, how many recruits know what Florida's record was in 2013?) But he looks like a good one, highly recommended.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

And folks that what out coaches do! They don't quit, they don't throw up their hands, they push and push, work till there are no more hours in the day. They may not always win but they don't ever, ever quit! Just like the the team they put on the field.
You could say we're gonna fight till we can't fight no more. We're gonna lay down, bleed a while, but we gonna get up and fight some more!
Fun fact: apparently The Roots used a sample of this speech on one of their tracks (credited, of course).

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
He is an impressive recruit for sure. What is most impressive is that he remembered every recruiting line the coaches used on him. My favorite had nothing to do with the program or the school or the city. It had to do with Johnson's observation that when Florida went 4-8 nobody blinked. (And really, seriously, how many recruits know what Florida's record was in 2013?) But he looks like a good one, highly recommended.
Not only did it not hurt their recruiting, they were able to spin it as a positive since that meant every starting job was up for grabs. Funny how the narrative always skews positive when you're one of the "name" programs. How many years have we been hearing "tha U is back!" while they've been no better than mediocre for a solid 10 years now?

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
So many of them say education is important, their long term future is important, but how many of 'em mean it. In Robertson's case we'll know that when he decides, he has 2 great education choices if he gets accepted to Stanford and some FB choices. So many of 'em that pick the factory school do the "bs" cop out saying you can get a great education at so and so factory school.
GT is not something I would cherish trying to do again, but I'm damn glad I did it, was absolutely worth the grind looking back on life and I expect most GT grads would say something similar. As they say, GT is not for everybody, it takes some one special to want to do it.
There is help there to get them through and we have a HC who so appreciates what it's all about and is there to help see that they accomplish their goals and get set up for a great beginning to life, this is so important and some of the moms and dads understand this. Calvin Johnson's parents and many other parents have understood.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
his mother loves tech...and these statements come right from CPJ's mouth :)
WOW! Wish more "kids" had that clear of a vision into the future.
So many of them say education is important, their long term future is important, but how many of 'em mean it. In Robertson's case we'll know that when he decides, he has 2 great education choices if he gets accepted to Stanford and some FB choices. So many of 'em that pick the factory school do the "bs" cop out saying you can get a great education at so and so factory school.
GT is not something I would cherish trying to do again, but I'm damn glad I did it, was absolutely worth the grind looking back on life and I expect most GT grads would say something similar. As they say, GT is not for everybody, it takes some one special to want to do it.
There is help there to get them through and we have a HC who so appreciates what it's all about and is there to help see that they accomplish their goals and get set up for a great beginning to life, this is so important and some of the moms and dads understand this. Calvin Johnson's parents and many other parents have understood.

I believe it is important as a fan (I'm a side walk fan at that), not to lose sight of what is really important and valuable. Don't misunderstand me, I love to win, I love to brag about being a Tech fan and see dawg fans put their heads down and be silent. Last year was a tough year, but I appreciate the fact that the team never gave up, and that's a tribute to their mettle, character, and toughness, it's something they can build on. It's why I'm renewing my season tickets, and why I hope Tech never becomes a football factory.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Oh can't wait to see our Edge Rush this year, Freeman and Woods gonna terrorize some QBs.
I'm really looking forward to Freeman returning to form. Not sure what happened last year, but he kind of disappeared. CPJ said a lot of guys were playing hurt but still kept running out on the field and gave it there all. I know for a fact Skov was one of those guys and I have feeling Freeman was also.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'm really looking forward to Freeman returning to form. Not sure what happened last year, but he kind of disappeared. CPJ said a lot of guys were playing hurt but still kept running out on the field and gave it there all. I know for a fact Skov was one of those guys and I have feeling Freeman was also.
If he is still thin (gt weights are off ),I hope we try him at lb. With heavier de coming on board coaches need to be decisive. We wont know till spring.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If he is still thin (gt weights are off ),I hope we try him at lb. With heavier de coming on board coaches need to be decisive. We wont know till spring.
Would not be surprised at all if we see wholesale position changes, O and D, and not just in A and B back candidates. I saw again the other day, maybe it was the post-draft show, that Johnson said he had never experienced a season like '15 in his career. That to me was not a very subtle notice to everybody, coaches and players. He is going to be in everybody's grill come the spring practices.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Freeman is just too small. This past year everyone focused on him a bit more and shut him down. His freshman year he was never doubled and often just had a te on him as the double went down to green and gotsis. His second year he got more focus.

I am with other posters that left end is not ideal for him the problem is we have no one else right now who has clearly separated. Roof also tends to stick with the same guys. I dont ever expect anything ingenuitive from him.